locked Message Buffer

Harold Miller

New to WSJT and like it so far.

Do have one question, have not found this in the Help file.

Is there a way to “CLEAR” the Transmit Msg Buffer.   Say I try to work a station and due to conditions, he disappears.  Is there a way other than manually clearing all 5 rows of the Msg Buffer.

Thanks

Hal, KB1ZQ

ve3ki

To abandon an incomplete QSO, use the F4 key.

73,
Rich VE3KI

On Wed, May 13, 2020 at 11:51 AM, Harold Miller wrote:

New to WSJT and like it so far.

Do have one question, have not found this in the Help file.

Is there a way to “CLEAR” the Transmit Msg Buffer.   Say I try to work a station and due to conditions, he disappears.  Is there a way other than manually clearing all 5 rows of the Msg Buffer.

Thanks

Hal, KB1ZQ

Joe

Hit the ESC key.

Bill Somerville

On 13/05/2020 16:51, Harold Miller wrote:

New to WSJT and like it so far.

Do have one question, have not found this in the Help file.

Is there a way to “CLEAR” the Transmit Msg Buffer.   Say I try to work a station and due to conditions, he disappears.  Is there a way other than manually clearing all 5 rows of the Msg Buffer.

Thanks

Hal, KB1ZQ

Hi Hal,

to abandon a QSO hit the ESC key. You can also clear down the DX Call and DX grid along with QSO partner specific messages by hitting F4 at any time. Note that with this last option, it only works if the band/frequency drop down list do not have focus, that control does something different with F4.

Double-clicking a decode will always abandon and clear down any previous QSO. You can also check the option "Settings->Reporting->Clear DX call and grid after logging", this last option is probably the one you really need.

Herb Blue - WB8ASI

Thanks for the tip Rick.  Good to know.  I've forever been clearing the call from the DX Call box which clears everything, but will start using F4.  73 Herb WB8ASI

On May 13, 2020 at 11:57 AM ve3ki <ve3iay@...> wrote:

To abandon an incomplete QSO, use the F4 key.

73,
Rich VE3KI

On Wed, May 13, 2020 at 11:51 AM, Harold Miller wrote:

New to WSJT and like it so far.

Do have one question, have not found this in the Help file.

Is there a way to “CLEAR” the Transmit Msg Buffer.   Say I try to work a station and due to conditions, he disappears.  Is there a way other than manually clearing all 5 rows of the Msg Buffer.

Thanks

Hal, KB1ZQ

Herb Blue - WB8ASI

The only caution in using the "Clear DX call and grid after logging" option is when the 73 is sent and/or received, and you auto log....if a decode is missed and you need to resend to complete the QSO, the call is no longer there.  73 Herb WB8ASI

On May 13, 2020 at 12:00 PM Bill Somerville <g4wjs@...> wrote:

[...]

the Tx5 message is not cleared for that very reason.

On 13/05/2020 17:09, Herb Blue wrote:
[...]

Yes, I see that now Bill.  I must have tried to jump back to some Tx prior to 5 when deciding to abandon the clearing upon logging option.  Guess I should give it another try. Thanks, Herb

On May 13, 2020 at 12:10 PM Bill Somerville <g4wjs@...> wrote:

[...]

W7PC Prashant

I never really clear it because my next transmission usually starts by clicking on some call sign, or just calling CQ by going to the last option, or in some rare instances actually getting in a call sign in the left box where I proceed to regenerate the message queue in advance.

However, pressing the Esc key on my Mac usually does the job of clearing everything. I don't know if the same key works in Windows or Linux instances, but give it a try and see if that helps.

73,
Prashant W7PC

On Wed, May 13, 2020, 8:51 AM Harold Miller <kb1zq@...> wrote:

New to WSJT and like it so far.

Do have one question, have not found this in the Help file.

Is there a way to “CLEAR” the Transmit Msg Buffer.   Say I try to work a station and due to conditions, he disappears.  Is there a way other than manually clearing all 5 rows of the Msg Buffer.

Thanks

Hal, KB1ZQ

Tom NS8K

Herb,

the Tx5 message is not cleared for that very reason.

Bill,

I'm with Herb on this.  What I have experienced is I send RR73 which initiates the logging process.  If I complete the log, messages disappear and sometimes I will get a dreaded R xx on the next receive cycle.  Panic sets in and I scramble to get back an RR73.  I don't want to send 73 because that doesn't send an acknowledgment.  If I was on the other end, I'd consider it a failed contact.

I must be missing something here.  Maybe everyone waits until they have received a 73 before logging?  Tx4 and Tx5 would be the messages I'd need to remain with the way I operate.

73,
Tom - NS8K

Bill Somerville

On 15/05/2020 04:11, Tom NS8K wrote:
Herb,

the Tx5 message is not cleared for that very reason.

Bill,

I'm with Herb on this.  What I have experienced is I send RR73 which initiates the logging process.  If I complete the log, messages disappear and sometimes I will get a dreaded R xx on the next receive cycle.  Panic sets in and I scramble to get back an RR73.  I don't want to send 73 because that doesn't send an acknowledgment.  If I was on the other end, I'd consider it a failed contact.

I must be missing something here.  Maybe everyone waits until they have received a 73 before logging?  Tx4 and Tx5 would be the messages I'd need to remain with the way I operate.

73,
Tom - NS8K

Hi Tom,

you should get the required response by double-clicking the unexpected repeat of the R+report message to you.

Tom NS8K

Thanks Bill, old dog, new tricks for sure.

Thinking about this a little more, I can see where earlier operating procedures using RRR and leaving Tx5 after logging worked perfectly.  With the transition to RR73, Tx4 & Tx5 remaining would, in my opinion, be preferred because realizing what has happened, double-clicking, enabling transmit etc. might cause me to be too late and extend the QSO to another Tx/Rx cycle.  Just my thoughts, I'll be fine as it is too.

To the entire WSJT-X Team, you folks are modern pioneers in communications.  A notch below Marconi I suppose but right up there with some of the best.  Thank you.

73,
Tom - NS8K

Bill Somerville

On 15/05/2020 13:10, Tom NS8K wrote:
Thanks Bill, old dog, new tricks for sure.

Thinking about this a little more, I can see where earlier operating procedures using RRR and leaving Tx5 after logging worked perfectly.  With the transition to RR73, Tx4 & Tx5 remaining would, in my opinion, be preferred because realizing what has happened, double-clicking, enabling transmit etc. might cause me to be too late and extend the QSO to another Tx/Rx cycle.  Just my thoughts, I'll be fine as it is too.

To the entire WSJT-X Team, you folks are modern pioneers in communications.  A notch below Marconi I suppose but right up there with some of the best.  Thank you.

73,
Tom - NS8K
Hi Tom,

if you check the "Settings->General->Double-click on call sets Tx enable" option then all you need do is double-click of the unexpectedly repeated message to you to generate the correct response *and* enable Tx.