locked MS update sent my Silicon Lab Ports and CODEC files into Hidden.

Bubba Tim <timreyes@...>

I was working FT8 this past Sat in the morning. I took a break and came back into the shack and tried to make a contact.  Noticed no power was being sent. Then I got a config error.  I am sure this is a MS issue. Other than a complete reformat of my lab top, any thoughts?  And if I do a reformat, how can I keep this from happening again? I have tried to move back the hidden files, but ran into issue of the computer not connecting to the files. I have been working on this for 3 days. If this was not a new computer, I would just buy another...

Herb Blue - WB8ASI

I'm no computer expert, so wait for others to respond.  I'm just wondering why they are hidden files?   Mine show up in Device Manager and in Control Panel Sound.  You can turn on "hidden files", but I don't remember where.  Something sounds fishy to me.  Check your Settings>Audio to be sure you Codecs are selected.  73 Herb WB8ASI

On May 11, 2020 at 5:08 PM Bubba Tim <timreyes@...> wrote:

I was working FT8 this past Sat in the morning. I took a break and came back into the shack and tried to make a contact.  Noticed no power was being sent. Then I got a config error.  I am sure this is a MS issue. Other than a complete reformat of my lab top, any thoughts?  And if I do a reformat, how can I keep this from happening again? I have tried to move back the hidden files, but ran into issue of the computer not connecting to the files. I have been working on this for 3 days. If this was not a new computer, I would just buy another...

Gary - AG0N

On May 11, 2020, at 15:08, Bubba Tim <timreyes@...> wrote:

I was working FT8 this past Sat in the morning. I took a break and came back into the shack and tried to make a contact. Noticed no power was being sent. Then I got a config error. I am sure this is a MS issue. Other than a complete reformat of my lab top, any thoughts? And if I do a reformat, how can I keep this from happening again? I have tried to move back the hidden files, but ran into issue of the computer not connecting to the files. I have been working on this for 3 days.
When you checked to see what ports were assigned in WSJT-X, what did you find? Did you also check to see if the port went to sleep? That seems like a likely suspect. Power savings should be disabled on all ports, as previously mentioned on this forum a few times a week it seems.

Gary - AG0N

Herb Blue - WB8ASI

Also check Win10 Settings > Privacy and make sure Microphone is allowed to be used by WSJTX.   If your new computer and you are new to Win10, you will notice it often will try and help you in wrong ways, by changing things without your knowledge. 73 Herb WB8ASI

On May 11, 2020 at 7:48 PM Gary - AG0N < mcduffie@...> wrote:

On May 11, 2020, at 15:08, Bubba Tim < timreyes@...> wrote:

I was working FT8 this past Sat in the morning. I took a break and came back into the shack and tried to make a contact. Noticed no power was being sent. Then I got a config error. I am sure this is a MS issue. Other than a complete reformat of my lab top, any thoughts? And if I do a reformat, how can I keep this from happening again? I have tried to move back the hidden files, but ran into issue of the computer not connecting to the files. I have been working on this for 3 days.
When you checked to see what ports were assigned in WSJT-X, what did you find? Did you also check to see if the port went to sleep? That seems like a likely suspect. Power savings should be disabled on all ports, as previously mentioned on this forum a few times a week it seems.

Gary - AG0N

Tom Melvin

What was the ‘config error’ ?

Tom

Tom
GM8MJV (IO85)

On 11 May 2020, at 22:08, Bubba Tim <timreyes@...> wrote:

I was working FT8 this past Sat in the morning. I took a break and came back into the shack and tried to make a contact.  Noticed no power was being sent. Then I got a config error.  I am sure this is a MS issue. Other than a complete reformat of my lab top, any thoughts?  And if I do a reformat, how can I keep this from happening again? I have tried to move back the hidden files, but ran into issue of the computer not connecting to the files. I have been working on this for 3 days. If this was not a new computer, I would just buy another...

Bubba Tim <timreyes@...>

Hamlib error: IO error while opening connection to rig. The CAT Control only gives me the option of USB and does not list any COM Ports.

Bubba Tim
Hero of small cats and defender of undersized lobsters
www.bubbatim.com

I was working FT8 this past Sat in the morning. I took a break and came back into the shack and tried to make a contact.  Noticed no power was being sent. Then I got a config error.  I am sure this is a MS issue. Other than a complete reformat of my lab top, any thoughts?  And if I do a reformat, how can I keep this from happening again? I have tried to move back the hidden files, but ran into issue of the computer not connecting to the files. I have been working on this for 3 days. If this was not a new computer, I would just buy another...

Tom Melvin

Hi

Does the Windows Device Manager  show the adapter when plugged in - tried a different USB port ?

Tom

Tom
GM8MJV (IO85)

On 12 May 2020, at 12:39, Bubba Tim <timreyes@...> wrote:

Hamlib error: IO error while opening connection to rig. The CAT Control only gives me the option of USB and does not list any COM Ports.

Bubba Tim
Hero of small cats and defender of undersized lobsters

I was working FT8 this past Sat in the morning. I took a break and came back into the shack and tried to make a contact.  Noticed no power was being sent. Then I got a config error.  I am sure this is a MS issue. Other than a complete reformat of my lab top, any thoughts?  And if I do a reformat, how can I keep this from happening again? I have tried to move back the hidden files, but ran into issue of the computer not connecting to the files. I have been working on this for 3 days. If this was not a new computer, I would just buy another...

Bill Somerville

Hi Bubba Tim,

if the COM port you have for CAT control does not appear under the "Ports (COM & LPT)" section of Windows Device Manager then you have an operating system issue. I suggest you contact MS support for a resolution.

On 12/05/2020 13:26, Bubba Tim wrote:
That most of the issue. COM Ports do not show up in the Device Manager. You can only see them in the "Hidden" files.

Bubba Tim
Hero of small cats and defender of undersized lobsters

I was working FT8 this past Sat in the morning. I took a break and came back into the shack and tried to make a contact.  Noticed no power was being sent. Then I got a config error.  I am sure this is a MS issue. Other than a complete reformat of my lab top, any thoughts?  And if I do a reformat, how can I keep this from happening again? I have tried to move back the hidden files, but ran into issue of the computer not connecting to the files. I have been working on this for 3 days. If this was not a new computer, I would just buy another...

Richard Lawn

I too had trouble after the last Windows update and that was before any upgrade to WSJT-X. I located the hamlib app and reinstalled it. It reported an error during the install which I ignored and everything began to work normally and I haven’t had any issues since. I have not installed the latest Rc of WSJT-X and probably won’t until things settle down.

73
Rick, W2JAZ

Rick, W2JAZ

jwvaughn

If the com ports are hidden in the device manager that means that the device has not been detected.  I would suggest:

1.     Try a different USB port

2.     Try the device on a different computer

3.     Try a different cable

4.     Try a different device, perhaps a thumb drive, on the problem computer’s USB ports

Even if the wrong drivers are loaded, the device should show up in device manager so it is more likely a hardware problem than a software problem.

Jerry

I was working FT8 this past Sat in the morning. I took a break and came back into the shack and tried to make a contact.  Noticed no power was being sent. Then I got a config error.  I am sure this is a MS issue. Other than a complete reformat of my lab top, any thoughts?  And if I do a reformat, how can I keep this from happening again? I have tried to move back the hidden files, but ran into issue of the computer not connecting to the files. I have been working on this for 3 days. If this was not a new computer, I would just buy another...

Bubba Tim <timreyes@...>

Hi Jerry,

Thanks for your help.  I plugged in a flash dive, the laptop (LP) gave the audible connection sound, but no COM Ports were showing in the Device Manager. Did the same with IC 7610, got the sound, but showed up in Other devices as IC-7610 SuperSpeed-FIFC Bridge, with an error, "the drivers for this device are not installed (Code 28) To find driver, click update driver. After clicking Update, it searched my computer and the internet and could not find anything. I have uni stalled and reinstalled WSJTX many times with no luck.  I will contact MS and see what they say.

73
Thanks

Bubba Tim
Hero of small cats and defender of undersized lobsters
www.bubbatim.com

I was working FT8 this past Sat in the morning. I took a break and came back into the shack and tried to make a contact.  Noticed no power was being sent. Then I got a config error.  I am sure this is a MS issue. Other than a complete reformat of my lab top, any thoughts?  And if I do a reformat, how can I keep this from happening again? I have tried to move back the hidden files, but ran into issue of the computer not connecting to the files. I have been working on this for 3 days. If this was not a new computer, I would just buy another...

Herb Blue - WB8ASI

Try Goggling IC-7610 SuperSpeed-FIFO Bridge:

The communications are done through FTDI's "D3XX Driver."
You need to install the driver (USB I/Q Package for HDSDR) that can be downloaded from Icom web site.
After the driver is installed, you can receive I/Q signals and control the IC-7610 through the D3XX Driver,
using an I/Q receive software (user supplied).
To receive I/Q signals and control the IC-7610 from the user application, you need FTDI's "FTD3XX.dll." Refer
to "D3XX Programmer's Guide" that can be downloaded from FTDI web site on how to use the functions.
You need to set the device description and appropriate "endpoint." Refer to the next topic for details about
them.

D About the Device Description

The Device Description, that is needed to open the [USB 2] port, is shown below.
“IC-7610 SuperSpeed-FIFO Bridge”

73 Herb WB8ASI

On May 12, 2020 at 11:54 AM Bubba Tim <timreyes@...> wrote:

[...]

Joe Subich, W4TV

Go to the ICOM web site, find and download the Silicon Labs USB
driver for the IC-7610's serial ports and install it
And as Icom instructs ... install the Icom USB driver *before*
connecting the transceiver.

To avoid problems in the future, disconnect or turn off the Icom
transceiver (also applies to Kenwood which uses the same SiLabs
USB bridge) *before* updating Windows.

73,

... Joe, W4TV

https://nam11.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bubbatim.com%2F&data=02%7C01%7C%7C7a8f9bd011fa49cc923708d7f689d307%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C637248944113170564&sdata=%2BYIgm%2F3B0IhNpSmgJ42wEyxyQc8ESeNYknr7bblvDIc%3D&reserved=0
)