Special Spanish callsign - impossible to complete a QSO #bug #special callsign error #IssueReport #special

In Spain from April 15th to the 30th, we can use the callsigns AMx95XXX, ANx95XXX or AOx95XXX to celebrate the 95th anniversary of the IARU.

The “Unión de Radioaficionados Españoles” (Spanish Radio Amateurs Union)  celebrates this anniversary with 10 special callsigns, AM95WARD, AM1WARD to AM9WARD.

I have tried several times to complete a QSO using my AO495AC callsign with any other station with these special callsigns and the WSJT-X program does not allow me to complete a QSO, see screenshot.

Can you please indicate what happens and how to solve it?

I use WSJT-X version 2.1.2.0068F9

Thanks in advance.

Cedric Puchalski
EA4AC
ea4ac.radio@...

Bill Somerville

On 17/04/2020 18:05, ea4ac.radio@... wrote:

In Spain from April 15th to the 30th, we can use the callsigns AMx95XXX, ANx95XXX or AOx95XXX to celebrate the 95th anniversary of the IARU.

The “Unión de Radioaficionados Españoles” (Spanish Radio Amateurs Union)  celebrates this anniversary with 10 special callsigns, AM95WARD, AM1WARD to AM9WARD.

I have tried several times to complete a QSO using my AO495AC callsign with any other station with these special callsigns and the WSJT-X program does not allow me to complete a QSO, see screenshot.

Can you please indicate what happens and how to solve it?

I use WSJT-X version 2.1.2.0068F9

Thanks in advance.

Cedric Puchalski
EA4AC

Hi Cedric,

the FT8/FT4/MSK144 protocols achieve the weak signal performance partially by limiting the amount of information exchanged. Calllsigns that do not meet the "standard" format supported by these protocols do have some extended support but only by squeezing the rest of the information passed to a minimum size, it is not possible to do that when two non-standard (in WSJT-X terms) callsigns wish to make a QSO.

All I can suggest is that such stations make two QSOs, each in turn using their normal callsign.

Tom V. Segalstad

It should be possible to enter the special callsign in TX5 in WSJT-X?

I have seen that be done by visitors in other countries – like a year ago I worked EA7/LA9DL in Spain on FT8, when he gave his complete callsign in TX5 in WSJT-X.

Also I have worked a number of other stations with long callsigns doing the same.

73 & GL from Tom (LA4LN)

With special callsign this year LN1V – rather keep the special callsigns short to minimize problems in WSJT-X.

Sent from E-mail for Windows 10

[...]

Tom (LA4LN)

K7GQ

The issue is that special call signs (non-standard calls) are considered to be "Type 2" calls.  As somewhat documented, a "Type 2" call can not work another "Type 2" call.  I experience this as I operate as I1/ most every year and must be careful as to who I call.

Thanks to all for your answers.

Cedric Puchalski
EA4AC