locked WSJT-X and Windows 10 Soundcard

Rick

Good Morning from the foothills in Western NC,

Recently I purchased a IC-7300 HF rig. After setting it up as well as the WSJT-X software I have noticed that my laptop is doing funny things.  When I start up my laptop and everything boots up, I sometimes I might start up either say Netflix or Amazon music and more the window so it moves over to my monitor (via HDMI Cable). So when those software are running on my monitor and click on the speaker icon in the bottom right hand Taskbar on my laptop it will show that the speaker is set for the monitor speaker. Great. So then I fire up my logging software (N3FJP) then click on the WSJT-X software then JT Alert.  They fire up and I notice a couple of things happening.

1.     My music gets muted a bit,
2.     The WSJT people calling CQ are real slow to respond. (Like they are not receiving the signal from the IC7300
3.     The JT Alert s cope is not right
4.     When I start to call CQ and ic-7300 starts to transmit I get the transmissions coming thru the laptop speakers
5.     When I click back on the speaker icon on the task bar it now shows the Codec as choice of speakers

So my question what have I done wrong in my settings? Any ideas or suggestions?

Thank you

Rick Westover
KK4NHC
kk4nhc@...

john ni0k

Rick,

Do you only have one soundcard in your laptop? If so, PC sounds (bleeps, boops and any audio that comes out of your speakers) is also going out your transmitter (yikes!). Also some laptops have odd builtin soundcards.

My suggestion is to purchase a cheap USB sound dongle. They are less than $10. Set up WSJT to use that sound interface and then set the PC so that the builtin soundcard is the default. Example device: https://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-External-Adapter-Windows-AU-MMSA/dp/B00IRVQ0F8/ref=sr_1_1?crid=37YT7M7ZWQE0X&dchild=1&keywords=usb+sound+card&qid=1585841829&sprefix=usb+sound%2Caps%2C189&sr=8-1

-de John NI0K
Rick wrote on 4/2/2020 9:56 AM:

[...]

trevor@...

You can mute system sounds, but I would not recommend trying to run Netflix or any other music or movie app on the same computer that you're using for WSJT-X and related software. It's best to use another computer/device for that.

- Trevor, AG7GX

Rick wrote on 4/2/2020 9:56 AM:
[...]

careyfisher@...

Why don't you guys read the post? He's using a 7300 which has a built-in sound card.
73, Carey, WB4HXE

--
Carey Fisher

--
73, Carey, WB4HXE

careyfisher@...

Rick,
Set your Windows sound output to your speakers using Windows Sound Settings.
Then, in WSJTX, set your Audio Soundcard Input and Output to the USB Audio Codecs .
That's all you need to do.
73, Carey, WB4HXE

Rick wrote on 4/2/2020 9:56 AM:
[...]

Bruce N7XGR

That is strange because I can listen to MP3's that is patched to my Onkyo stereo and
transmit WSJT-X audio to my IC7300 at the same time with no interaction.
The only default audio device is the motherboard sound device that is setup in the
Sound Properties for both in and out audio.

Bruce  N7XGR

Rick wrote on 4/2/2020 9:56 AM:
[...]

Ham Radio Podcasts Free for Android

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.andromo.dev5592.app509392

john ni0k

Your 7300 counts as another sound device.

-de John NI0K

Rick wrote on 4/2/2020 9:56 AM:
[...]

Bob Lewis

Assuming that you are using the IC7300 USB connection for audio in/out, you have two sound card devices in the system. The Windows sounds should go to the default device (the computer sound card and speakers) while WSJT-x should be connected to the IC7300 sound card (the USBCODEX).

Rick wrote on 4/2/2020 9:56 AM:

[...]

Danny Douglas <n7dc@...>

OK,  Am  I confused?  Looking at the specs.  This does not say its good for Windows 10.???     Does it need just one USB port on the computer, and no separate sound connection, etc?  I need something for my W10Pro, to use with my Kenwood 570s, and Rigblaster plus.    I still cant get all this to work with the internal sound card.  Have sound to the comp output, and into the Rigblaster, rig control done by Commander, but nothing to the computer from the rig, etc.     The way I read this, it should get me completely away from the present idiotic ports, that keep getting confused about where they are and what they do.

N7DC@...
Ex WN5QMX,WA5UKR,ET2US,ET3USA,SV0WPP,VS6DD,N7DC/YV5/G5CTB
QSL Bureau, DIRECT, LOTW Preferred, eQSL used but upload at a courtesy only, as do not use the system for awards.

Rick wrote on 4/2/2020 9:56 AM:
[...]

Hasan Schiers N0AN

There is no problem running multiple sound cards for different purposes in Win10. I do it all the time. One sound card is devoted to Satellite (SDRC) another to WSJT-X, another to Windows Sounds/YouTube. Even my HiSense HDTV shows up as a playback sound card and works wonderfully.

There is no problem that I see doing multiple simultaneous things with different sounds cards. As long as your computer has sufficient horsepower, there is no reason to confine WSJT-X to a dedicated computer.

...if you start seeing lost decodes, that's another matter.

73, N0AN

Just name them and it is a lot easier to keep them straight.
Hasan

Rick wrote on 4/2/2020 9:56 AM:
[...]

Add a cheap $5.00 sound card dongle and dedicate it to WSJT-X and your 570 (assuming the 570 doesn't have an internal usb sound card).

Amazon has them, and I use them on all my computers (4 of them) for digital ham software. They are more than adequate.
73, N0AN
Hasan

Rick wrote on 4/2/2020 9:56 AM:
[...]

Joe Subich, W4TV

Have sound to the comp output, and into the Rigblaster, rig control
done by Commander, but nothing to the computer from the rig, etc.
Have you gone to Windows 10 -> PC Settings -> Privacy -> Microphone
and confirmed that *both* "Allow apps to access your microphone"
and "Allow desktop apps to access your microphone" are *ON*?

In Windows 10 *any* audio input (Recording Device) is a "Microphone".
If applications are not permitted to access the "microphone" audio
will not be able to reach the applications (to prevent "bad
applications" from spying on the user).

73,

... Joe, W4TV

On 2020-04-02 3:46 PM, Danny Douglas wrote:
OK, Am I confused? Looking at the specs. This does not say its good for Windows 10.??? Does it need just one USB port on the computer, and no separate sound connection, etc? I need something for my W10Pro, to use with my Kenwood 570s, and Rigblaster plus. I still cant get all this to work with the internal sound card. Have sound to the comp output, and into the Rigblaster, rig control done by Commander, but nothing to the computer from the rig, etc. The way I read this, it should get me completely away from the present idiotic ports, that keep getting confused about where they are and what they do.
N7DC@...
Ex WN5QMX,WA5UKR,ET2US,ET3USA,SV0WPP,VS6DD,N7DC/YV5/G5CTB
QSL Bureau, DIRECT, LOTW Preferred, eQSL used but upload at a courtesy only, as do not use the system for awards.

dk1wb

I am having a similar problem and can track it down to an HDMI device. My Win10 HP PC (1909) with lots of horespower is running WSJTX driving a TS590SG with buit-in sound card through the USB drivers. All system sounds are using the built-in sound card without problems.
But whenI tried to connect an external monitor throught HDMI Win10 got confused and played the WSJTX sound on the internal sound card although all  Win10 sound settings were left unchanged. The mess continued even after disconnecting the HDMI connector.
I needed to restart WSJTX to rectify the situation. The monitor connected by HDMI does not even have a speaker but it is anyway confusing the system. Any ideas?
73, Hans (DK1WB)

Rick wrote on 4/2/2020 9:56 AM:
[...]

Bill Somerville

Hi Hans,

Windows has a nasty habit of switching audio to any new hot-plugged device, i.e. USB or HDMI. It does this without the applications using those audio devices getting any indication of the audio re-routing. In theory if the audio devices that WSJT-X is using are *not* set as the default devices, which they shouldn't be anyway, then this nasty behaviour should not cause a problem. Having said that there is a problem for users with only on pair of audio devices since there is no option to have no default audio devices so any plugged in USB or HDMI audio device will become the new default.

The only robust solution is to always plug in audio devices before starting WSJT-X. Another option if you only have a single sound card is to install some virtual audio device and make that the default device but never use it.

Rick wrote on 4/2/2020 9:56 AM:
[...]

Steve K6WW

IMHO, that's ridiculous advice to tell a person to have two separate computers! Not everyone has that luxury! Windows makes it easy enough to select output sound devices by clicking on the speaker icon in the system tray next to the date/time. You can easily select input devices by righ-clicking on the speaker and selecting Open Sound Settings. I went one step further and renamed my two audio codecs with the rig mfc name to help tell them apart, as I have a K3 and a TS-590.

Another tip that I recently ran into when WSJT-X seemed to go deaf...and I'm not sure if was a Windows update, but could have been, is the Privacy setting for the mic got turned off in Windows 10. Press the Windows key + I > Click on Privacy > Click on Microphone > Make sure the slider under Allow apps to access your microphone is set to On. This seems to affect not only actual Microphones but any audio input device, as far as I can tell.

Hope that helps!

Steve  K6WW

Jim Shorney

Only one computer? I couldn't live that way. It's so limiting!

73

-Jim
NU0C

On Thu, 02 Apr 2020 15:27:04 -0700
"Steve Wilson via groups.io" <steve_wilson@...> wrote:

IMHO, that's ridiculous advice to tell a person to have two separate computers!

Darl DEEDS

I don’t think it’s ridiculous in todays day and age. I have three computers, one for business, and three big monitors,

Two for Ham Radio, and barely have enough for my hobby.

Darl  NA8W

Only one computer? I couldn't live that way. It's so limiting!

73

-Jim
NU0C

On Thu, 02 Apr 2020 15:27:04 -0700
"Steve Wilson via groups.io" <steve_wilson@...> wrote:

> IMHO, that's ridiculous advice to tell a person to have two separate computers!

Gwen Patton <ardrhi@...>

Pfft. I'm WEARING three computers right now. There's probably computers in my bloodstream. I'm surrounded by so many computers and radios, my house gives off the radio flux of a small star when I key down or type.

Gwen, NG3P

"Steve Wilson via groups.io" <steve_wilson=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

> IMHO, that's ridiculous advice to tell a person to have two separate computers!

--

-+-+-+-+-
Jenny Everywhere's Infinite: Quark Time

Jim Shorney

I used to joke that my house looks like a computer shop and a radio shop collided. Well, it still does...

I set up a surplus mini-ITX box in the ham shack at work for digital modes with Linux. Takes up less space than a small pizza box. Cost was free before I added a small SSD and more RAM. Thinking about doing another one to dedicate to six meters at home just because I can. That would be the second computer in the shack. Hardware is cheap.

73

-Jim
NU0C

On Thu, 2 Apr 2020 20:57:31 -0400
"Gwen Patton" <ardrhi@...> wrote:

[...]

Hi Bill,

thanks a lot for the helpful advice and explanation about the unexpected audio switching of Windows!

73,
Hans, DK1WB