locked WSJT-X Config File recovery / TS-590SG CAT control

Bob Revel

After installing an external device (web cam), WSJT-X wouldn't start, couldn't find COM3. So I made a STUPID mistake and selected Default - Copy - Reset and lost all my WSJT-X configurations.
I got COM3 back, but now cannot get rig control working for the TS-590SG and WSJT-X along with the SigaLink box I still use. I know, I should remove  the SignaLink from the config but for now I just want to restore my old settings.

I do nightly backups to Carbonite, so was thinking about trying to retrieve the WSJT-X config file that worked prior to my brain fart. Anyone know the file name?

Secondly, anyone know if a Windows restore would do the trick?
Lastly, anyone have a solid TS590SG set of configurations for a setup with Signalink that might work? I have tried a variety of them and so far, no luck.

And I promise that once I get this working, a photo of the rig control page will be pasted on the wall in my shack.
Totally frustrated, Bob, KD6C

Bill Somerville

On 31/03/2020 00:29, Bob Revel wrote:
So I made a STUPID mistake and selected Default - Copy - Reset and lost all my WSJT-X configurations.
Hi Bob,

please explain what "Default - Copy - Reset" means?

Bob Revel

It performed a total reset of WSJT-X, so that I was back to entering my call sign, my Grid, etc.

Bill Somerville

On 31/03/2020 01:06, Bob Revel wrote:
It performed a total reset of WSJT-X, so that I was back to entering my call sign, my Grid, etc.
Hi Bob,

so you have a configuration called "Default - Copy" and you reset it. What about the original "Default" configuration it was a copy of, is that still there?

Bob Revel

When I made the mistake (a few days ago), the steps were:
Under the Configurations dropdown, I selected Default - Copy, and then clicked on Reset.
At that time, I lost all my previous configurations.
When you ask if it is still there, do you mean a file I can search for? Or the drop down info shown under Configurations?

Bruce N7XGR

Bob,  This is where it is, C:\Users\YourName\AppData\Local\WSJT-X.ini

Bruce  N7XGR

On Mon, Mar 30, 2020 at 8:52 PM Bob Revel <KD6C.ham@...> wrote:
When I made the mistake (a few days ago), the steps were:
Under the Configurations dropdown, I selected Default - Copy, and then clicked on Reset.
At that time, I lost all my previous configurations.
When you ask if it is still there, do you mean a file I can search for? Or the drop down info shown under Configurations?

Howard Kunkel

Just came across your query and in my experience IF you indeed made and still possess a complete back up of windows following directions you should be able to get back to where you were before your unfortunate experience.
Better still, in windows 10,  it is easy to create an .ISO image file which would do a complete image of your hard drive.  With the frequency of Windows updates, and sometimes littered landscape they can leave behind, doing so weekly is not the worst thing you could do. The .iso file contains everything on your drive and gives you an opportunity to perform a bare metal recovery.

This method was used for classroom activities where a known setup was deployed before an educational lesson and accompanying "lab" would be exercised then return to bare OS before next class.

If you are "adventurous" with computers, this process can be your friend.

73 and Good Health
Howie,
WA2AGA

On Mon, Mar 30, 2020 at 9:38 PM Bruce N7XGR <n7xgr1@...> wrote:
Bob,  This is where it is, C:\Users\YourName\AppData\Local\WSJT-X.ini

Bruce  N7XGR

On Mon, Mar 30, 2020 at 8:52 PM Bob Revel <KD6C.ham@...> wrote:
When I made the mistake (a few days ago), the steps were:
Under the Configurations dropdown, I selected Default - Copy, and then clicked on Reset.
At that time, I lost all my previous configurations.
When you ask if it is still there, do you mean a file I can search for? Or the drop down info shown under Configurations?

Dave_G0WBX

Secondly, anyone know if a Windows restore would do the trick?
Lastly, anyone have a solid TS590SG set of configurations for a setup with Signalink that might work? I have tried a variety of them and so far, no luck.

~ ~ ~

Careful, Windows restore will not only restore what you want (perhaps) but also other settings and changes for other applications and system settings.

If your Carbonite backup contains your WSJT-x .ini and log files, you should be golden to restore them from your backup.  But keep copies of what you have now, just in case.

Regards.

Dave G0WBX.

~*~
--
Created on and sent from a Unix like PC running and using free and open source software: