locked Possible to add new keyboard shortcut?


Dave Corio
 

Would it be possible to add keyboard shortcuts to increase or decrease audio output level? On FT4 and sometimes on FT8, the limited transmission time makes it tricky to get the mouse cursor centered on the power slider in time to raise or lower the audio level. I am hopeful there is a way to set perhaps the up/down arrows, or maybe page up/page down buttons do do this.

As an example, I usually run about 20 watts. If I'm trying to work a new one, it would be very handy to simply "arrow up" to increase power. By the same token, if I get a +20 report (like that happens!!) it would be quick & easy to "down arrow".

Tnx es 73
Dave - KB3MOW


Gary - AG0N
 

On Mar 27, 2020, at 08:13, Dave Corio via Groups.Io <kb3mow@...> wrote:

the limited transmission time makes it tricky to get the mouse cursor centered on the power slider in time to raise or lower the audio level
The program is obviously set up incorrectly. Once your levels are set, they should never need to be changed again unless you change equipment. Power output is controlled by a setting on the radio, not with the slider on the program. The slider level should be at the top and remain there.

Gary - AG0N


Hasan Schiers N0AN
 

First of all, once you set your tx level, it should not change by mode.

In File > Settings > Audio : at the bottom there are two boxes:

Band and Tune. If you want the program to remember your audio (Vertical Slider) position by Band, check band . If you want it also to remember by the Tune button, Check Tune. 

You might have set those incorrectly.
73, N0AN
Hasan


On Fri, Mar 27, 2020 at 7:58 PM Gary - AG0N <mcduffie@...> wrote:


> On Mar 27, 2020, at 08:13, Dave Corio via Groups.Io <kb3mow=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
>
>  the limited transmission time makes it tricky to get the mouse cursor centered on the power slider in time to raise or lower the audio level

The program is obviously set up incorrectly.  Once your levels are set, they should never need to be changed again unless you change equipment.  Power output is controlled by a setting on the radio, not with the slider on the program.  The slider level should be at the top and remain there.

Gary - AG0N


Mack Edmonson
 

Gary, which setting on the radio controls the power output for digital modes?

Mack, W4ENN

 

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

 

From: Gary - AG0N
Sent: Friday, March 27, 2020 7:58 PM
To: WSJTX@groups.io
Subject: Re: [WSJTX] Possible to add new keyboard shortcut?

 

 

 

> On Mar 27, 2020, at 08:13, Dave Corio via Groups.Io <kb3mow@...> wrote:

>

>  the limited transmission time makes it tricky to get the mouse cursor centered on the power slider in time to raise or lower the audio level

 

The program is obviously set up incorrectly.  Once your levels are set, they should never need to be changed again unless you change equipment.  Power output is controlled by a setting on the radio, not with the slider on the program.  The slider level should be at the top and remain there.

 

Gary - AG0N

 


Tom Melvin
 

Will depend on the radio - Icom I press menu -> Quick -> PWR

The manual should have a section on it.

Tom
--
73’s

Tom
GM8MJV (IO85)





On 28 Mar 2020, at 12:50, Mack Edmonson via Groups.Io <mackedmonson@...> wrote:

Gary, which setting on the radio controls the power output for digital modes?
Mack, W4ENN
 
Sent from Mail for Windows 10
 
From: Gary - AG0N
Sent: Friday, March 27, 2020 7:58 PM
To: WSJTX@groups.io
Subject: Re: [WSJTX] Possible to add new keyboard shortcut?
 
 
 
> On Mar 27, 2020, at 08:13, Dave Corio via Groups.Io <kb3mow@...> wrote:
>
>  the limited transmission time makes it tricky to get the mouse cursor centered on the power slider in time to raise or lower the audio level
 
The program is obviously set up incorrectly.  Once your levels are set, they should never need to be changed again unless you change equipment.  Power output is controlled by a setting on the radio, not with the slider on the program.  The slider level should be at the top and remain there.
 
Gary - AG0N
 



Jim AC9ZL
 

I use the Pwr slider to adjust power output, and the Pwr slider is always set to a fraction of full scale when I am using WSJT-X. Much quicker than navigating the menu on my Icom 7200. And less error prone, I prefer not to be poking at the buttons on my rig during a 15 second FT-8 transmission.

I agree with the OP, keyboard shortcut keys would be nice.

73,
Jim
AF5FH


Gary - AG0N
 

On Mar 28, 2020, at 06:50, Mack Edmonson via Groups.Io <mackedmonson@...> wrote:

Gary, which setting on the radio controls the power output for digital modes?
Mack, W4ENN
I hate to say this, but PWR or Power would be the correct control. What radio?

Gary - AG0N


Herb Blue - WB8ASI
 

You can adjust with the mouse wheel which is pretty easy.

de Herb WB8ASI

On March 28, 2020 at 3:02 PM Jim Kajder AF5FH <jkajder@...> wrote:

I use the Pwr slider to adjust power output, and the Pwr slider is always set to a fraction of full scale when I am using WSJT-X. Much quicker than navigating the menu on my Icom 7200. And less error prone, I prefer not to be poking at the buttons on my rig during a 15 second FT-8 transmission.

I agree with the OP, keyboard shortcut keys would be nice.

73,
Jim
AF5FH

 


Mack Edmonson
 

I run Kenwood TS2000 but never change the PA output setting from the 100 watt setting on the radio. If I lower power via the PA output control without changing the audio drive level , the PA goes into alc so I just change the drive level via the power slider on WSJT X . Zero to one hundred watts and never any alc action. Just curious how others set up to change power levels.

Thanks

Mack  W4ENN

 

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

 

From: Gary - AG0N
Sent: Saturday, March 28, 2020 4:30 PM
To: WSJTX@groups.io
Subject: Re: [WSJTX] Possible to add new keyboard shortcut?

 

 

 

> On Mar 28, 2020, at 06:50, Mack Edmonson via Groups.Io <mackedmonson@...> wrote:

>

> Gary, which setting on the radio controls the power output for digital modes?

> Mack, W4ENN

 

I hate to say this, but PWR or Power would be the correct control.  What radio?

 

Gary - AG0N

 


David Fanelli
 

I also use a TS-2000 with a Signalink as the soundcard interface. As to power level, I use either the slider on the WSJT-X UI or the TX control on the Signalink.


73 de kb5pgy

On 3/28/20 5:16 PM, Mack Edmonson via Groups.Io wrote:

I run Kenwood TS2000 but never change the PA output setting from the 100 watt setting on the radio. If I lower power via the PA output control without changing the audio drive level , the PA goes into alc so I just change the drive level via the power slider on WSJT X . Zero to one hundred watts and never any alc action. Just curious how others set up to change power levels.

Thanks

Mack  W4ENN

 

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

 

From: Gary - AG0N
Sent: Saturday, March 28, 2020 4:30 PM
To: WSJTX@groups.io
Subject: Re: [WSJTX] Possible to add new keyboard shortcut?

 

 

 

> On Mar 28, 2020, at 06:50, Mack Edmonson via Groups.Io <mackedmonson@...> wrote:

>

> Gary, which setting on the radio controls the power output for digital modes?

> Mack, W4ENN

 

I hate to say this, but PWR or Power would be the correct control.  What radio?

 

Gary - AG0N

 



    


Dave Corio
 

Many thanks for all the replies! I use an IC-7200 with the USB interface. I keep my RF power at about 80% and the USB audio input at about 65%. With the PWR slider of WSJT-X at about 3/4, this gives me just about 20 - 25 watts. My power does fluctuate somewhat by band, but the "Tune" and "Transmit" memories in the app work perfectly.

About 30 minutes ago I worked a station that gave me a +23 report. Rare, but once in a while even I get lucky! I reduced the Pwr slider by a bit and brought my power down to around 10 watts. A bit hard to do in only a couple of seconds allowed in FT4.

Using the Pwr slider I can adjust my base power output from about 5 watts to around 35 watts without any effect on the ALC level. I don't make larger power excursions, and change the level upwards when trying to work a "new one"!

If there aren't too many people requesting this, I understand it may be a bit more work than it's worth. It can't hurt to ask!

Tnx es 73
Dave - KB3MOW

On 3/27/2020 10:13 AM, Dave Corio via Groups.Io wrote:
Would it be possible to add keyboard shortcuts to increase or decrease audio output level? On FT4 and sometimes on FT8, the limited transmission time makes it tricky to get the mouse cursor centered on the power slider in time to raise or lower the audio level. I am hopeful there is a way to set perhaps the up/down arrows, or maybe page up/page down buttons do do this.