locked Some quirks with WSJTX, latest version

Bill Lederer

Folks:

First of all, this is a marvelous piece of software and I very much enjoy using it. I have been a software developer (53 years) and now concentrate on application security (companies pay me to break their software).  I appreciate good software when I use it.

I've been using WSJTX, for the last several months.  First, with a compromised antenna setup (40 meter dipole 5 feet high on all bands) and now a little better (high 40 meter dipole, high 80 meter dipole, 160 meter dipole).

There are a few aspects of WSJT operation that I don't understand quite yet.

I'm running on an Intel NUC with Xubuntu, latest version. As a result, I have zero problems keeping the time synchronized within a hundredth of a second, avoiding all the problems that many are having running Windows.

First is the contents of the right-hand pane. It mostly makes sense, but occasionally there are entries there that don't seem to correspond to things I am currently calling, or have recently worked. Sometimes clearing the right hand pane will make them not show up again, but not always. Is there some user control for what shows up there?

Next, I have lost the menu bar. The function keys will bring up some of the items, such as F2 for settings, but I'm not seeing one for changing mode. But the underlying question is how can I get the menu bar back?

The final question is in two parts. First, rhetorical: Why do stations answer my CQ on my transmit frequency? (It seems like operators new to WSJTX are more likely to do this). The non-rhetorical question is why not have "Hold TX frequency" set as a default?

Thanks,
w8lvn

Clark Stewart

W8LVN,

You can turn the Menus ON/OFF with the "Menus" checkbox next to the "Tune" button:

My understanding of the right hand frame (looking at the title at the top) is that this frame displays signals on your Rx Frequency and the left hand frame shows ALL signals across the Band.

Personally I pick a Tx frequency that seems to be clear (at least on my end) and transmit there with the "Hold Tx Freq" button checked.  However, there have been times when I can call and call a station that way (say for as long as 1/2 hour) with no result.  When I change my Tx Freq to his frequency, I get a quick response.  Why?  Who knows.  But, for that reason, I would not want the "Hold Tx Freq" button to be hard-wired to the ON position.

73, Clark, W8TN

On 3/24/2020 11:15 AM, Bill Lederer wrote:

[...]

Al Groff

Bill,
  Enable Menus by checking the box along the right had side just below the RX frequency window and next to the TUNE button..
AL, K0VM

On 3/24/2020 10:15 AM, Bill Lederer wrote:

[...]

Clark & Al:

Thanks for the quick response.

I had somehow missed that little checkbox and now is all OK.

Yes, I always start off with a different Tx frequency and have once or twice gone to the other station's frequency to call.

I'll explore the Rx correlation with the right-hand window.

Thanks,
w8lvn

--
--w8lvn--

Darl DEEDS

<<Why do stations answer my CQ on my transmit frequency?>>

Because they double click on the call calling CQ and it starts the QSO process, it’s not wrong (people do it on other modes all day long)  nor is it right (it causes doubles and interference) but that’s what the program does and its legal.

Darl  NA8W

[...]

Ron / W4MMP

Hi,

This happens to me from time to time.   If I move my TX freq closer to the stations frequency (not necessarily exactly his),  the stations responds.   This happens mostly when my TX is far removed (in relative terms) from the other stations frequency.   To me this means the stations RX bandwidth is not wide enough to capture the entire WSJT-X bandwidth.  Just my 2 cents.

73,

Ron / W4MMP

On 3/24/2020 11:32, Clark Stewart wrote:
[...]

Gary - AG0N

On Mar 24, 2020, at 09:15, Bill Lederer <w8lvn.9@...> wrote:

The non-rhetorical question is why not have "Hold TX frequency" set as a default?
It will be if you turn it on. Check the Hold box once and it should stay unless you switch it off again by unchecking it.

Gary - AG0N

Tony Collett

Apart from the possibility of QRM or narrow Rx filters another reason why "some" stations do not respond if you call a long way off their frequency is that MSHV (and maybe others?) have a setting to limit decodes within a specified offset. I always call off frequency first and move slightly if no response in case of QRM, then finally jump onto the other stations frequency as a last resort but as noted when I call CQ the majority seem to call on my frequency for some reason. If I see two callers I try and respond to the one calling me split in the hope the penny (cent?) will drop!

73
Tony G4NBS

ny2ny

There is another reason stations do not always respond in spite of their +01 db signal...it has been my experience that certain stations will not answer your call if you have worked them ever before...if I continue calling - they will just QRX or more commonly QSY. If I QSY and call them again, same result. Everybody has their own quirks I guess !!
  73 Jay NY2NY

Bob Lewis

This time of year on 6M most of the stations I hear I have worked before. I usually don’t call them again but I don’t mind having someone I’ve worked before answer my CQ just to let me know it’s still working.

There is another reason stations do not always respond in spite of their +01 db signal...it has been my experience that certain stations will not answer your call if you have worked them ever before...if I continue calling - they will just QRX or more commonly QSY. If I QSY and call them again, same result. Everybody has their own quirks I guess !!
  73 Jay NY2NY

Marion D. Kitchens

And there are some hams who do not answer unless you have a LoTW account.  To each his own......

de Marion   K4GOK

On Tue, 24 Mar 2020 11:20:32 -0700 "ny2ny" <jayb1943@...> writes:

There is another reason stations do not always respond in spite of their +01 db signal...it has been my experience that certain stations will not answer your call if you have worked them ever before...if I continue calling - they will just QRX or more commonly QSY. If I QSY and call them again, same result. Everybody has their own quirks I guess !!
  73 Jay NY2NY

Steve Lund

At least on mine, the "Hold TX Freq" is OFF, when turning Fox/Hound mode off. I would prefer it to take the previous state.

Steve, K6UM

On Tue, Mar 24, 2020 at 5:06 PM Gary - AG0N <mcduffie@...> wrote:

> On Mar 24, 2020, at 09:15, Bill Lederer <w8lvn.9@...> wrote:
>
> The non-rhetorical question is why not have "Hold TX frequency" set as a default?

It will be if you turn it on. Check the Hold box once and it should stay unless you switch it off again by unchecking it.

Gary - AG0N

Bill Ahillen

I have seen good level signals that just miss a decode cycle. I have learned to watch the density of the waterfall for insight into decodes.

Last night I put 3 receivers of my Flex 6600 on 40 m with same antenna and watched the decodes on 6-8 QSOs FT8. I would miss one of them every few cycles on the 3 receivers.  I found the one missing did not have ENABLE AP selected. It seems that the ENABLE AP does not always stay selected when restarting WSJT  maybe rebooting or some other operations. I just have not been observant.

Some of this could be in the decoding algorithms or other influences. If you watch the density of the waterfall you can see significant changes in a 15 second period. There are parameters in the advanced tab but have not played with that and any guidance would be appreciated. I have selected two pass decode.

73
Bill W9JJB

On Mar 24, 2020, at 2:42 PM, Marion D. Kitchens <k4gok@...> wrote:

And there are some hams who do not answer unless you have a LoTW account.  To each his own......

de Marion   K4GOK

On Tue, 24 Mar 2020 11:20:32 -0700 "ny2ny" <jayb1943@...> writes:
There is another reason stations do not always respond in spite of their +01 db signal...it has been my experience that certain stations will not answer your call if you have worked them ever before...if I continue calling - they will just QRX or more commonly QSY. If I QSY and call them again, same result. Everybody has their own quirks I guess !!
  73 Jay NY2NY

Herb Blue - WB8ASI

What is "Enable AP"?   I've never turned it on.   73, Herb WB8ASI

On March 24, 2020 at 7:55 PM Bill Ahillen <bahillen@...> wrote:

[...]

Jim Brown

On 3/24/2020 6:36 PM, Herb Blue wrote:
What is "Enable AP"?   I've never turned it on.
It's in the User Guide. Have you studied it?

73, Jim K9YC

s@...

Edited

Not much information there.
WSJT-X 2.1 Guide:

Reino Talarmo

>Not much information there.
WSJT-X 2.1 Guide:
Hi,
A bit more information is available at
12.1. AP Decoding

73, Reino oh3mA

Ted

A bit more about you seeing other calls in your receive pane beyond the one you are working. Next time look at the frequency of these other sigs and they will be close to the audio frequency of the station you are working. There seems to be a “window” open  which allows other stations to show on near audio frequencies.

On Wed, Mar 25, 2020 at 03:31 Reino Talarmo <reino.talarmo@...> wrote:

>Not much information there.
WSJT-X 2.1 Guide:
Hi,