locked Getting Meinberg to work

Arthur Bernstein

I’ve downloaded Meinberg but keep getting an error message when I try to start it up. Running Windows 10, 64 bit.  I’m assuming I’m missing a file. Downloaded a driver for it, but still no go. I surmise my inaccurate time sync in my computer has caused my decoding FT8 to be erratic. I did it “cave man” style by tuning to WWV at 10 MHz to get the clock close. I’m sure it won’t hold and my decoding and inability to make contacts will return. Any help out there? Sorry if this is a repeat, but the long rants have made my head spin.
Thanks.
Art., N2KA..

Keith Le Boutillier

Hi Art

Right click on the icon and select run as administrator if you have not already done so and see if it runs then.

73 Keith  

From: WSJTX@groups.io <WSJTX@groups.io> On Behalf Of Arthur Bernstein via Groups.Io
Sent: 19 March 2020 05:39
To: WSJTX@groups.io
Subject: [WSJTX] Getting Meinberg to work

I’ve downloaded Meinberg but keep getting an error message when I try to start it up. Running Windows 10, 64 bit.  I’m assuming I’m missing a file. Downloaded a driver for it, but still no go. I surmise my inaccurate time sync in my computer has caused my decoding FT8 to be erratic. I did it “cave man” style by tuning to WWV at 10 MHz to get the clock close. I’m sure it won’t hold and my decoding and inability to make contacts will return. Any help out there? Sorry if this is a repeat, but the long rants have made my head spin.
Thanks.
Art., N2KA..

neil_zampella <neilz@...>

Art,

what exactly is the error message?

Neil, KN3ILZ

On 3/19/2020 4:16 AM, Keith Le Boutillier via Groups.Io wrote:

Hi Art

Right click on the icon and select run as administrator if you have not already done so and see if it runs then.

73 Keith  

From: WSJTX@groups.io <WSJTX@groups.io> On Behalf Of Arthur Bernstein via Groups.Io

Thanks.
Art., N2KA..

Virus-free. www.avg.com

Martin G0HDB

What error message are you getting, Art?

If you haven't already looked at it, you might find the following web page helpful for getting your Meinberg installation working.  I've found that if you follow the guidance closely then all should be well.

http://www.satsignal.eu/ntp/setup.html

Let us know how you get on.

--
Martin G0HDB

Nc8q-mesh@gelm.net

On 3/19/20 1:39 AM, Arthur Bernstein via Groups.Io wrote:
getting an error message when I try to start it up. Running Windows 10, 64 bit.  I’m assuming I’m missing a file.
Please re-initiate your request for assistance and include the error message.
An appropriate assumption would be that you may find assistance here.

Chuck

Derek Brown

Just to throw my experience with Meinberg in, I have attempted to install on two Win 10 PC's and have followed the advice re: Visual Studio Redistributable package is missing, if the service fails to start, I downloaded and installed on both PC's with the same failure result, and it results in the following :

Inline image
Error 5 ?

Rgds

Derek G8ECI

On Thursday, 19 March 2020, 09:42:41 GMT, neil_zampella <neilz@...> wrote:

Art,

Neil, KN3ILZ

Hi Art

73 Keith  

Thanks.
Art., N2KA..

Virus-free. www.avg.com

Derek Brown

PS Martin, I followed your information to the letter !!!

Derek G8ECI

On Thursday, 19 March 2020, 09:49:58 GMT, Derek G8ECI <g8eci@...> wrote:

Just to throw my experience with Meinberg in, I have attempted to install on two Win 10 PC's and have followed the advice re: Visual Studio Redistributable package is missing, if the service fails to start, I downloaded and installed on both PC's with the same failure result, and it results in the following :

Inline image
Error 5 ?

Rgds

Derek G8ECI

On Thursday, 19 March 2020, 09:42:41 GMT, neil_zampella <neilz@...> wrote:

Art,

Neil, KN3ILZ

Hi Art

73 Keith  

Thanks.
Art., N2KA..

Virus-free. www.avg.com

Bill Somerville

On 19/03/2020 05:39, Arthur Bernstein via Groups.Io wrote:
Thanks.
Art., N2KA..
Hi Art,

that sounds like you have downloaded the wrong software. Meinberg sell high end radio clocks, if you are installing drivers then you have probably downloaded their radio clock server software, you need their basic NTP client software:

https://www.meinbergglobal.com/english/sw/ntp.htm#ntp_stable

Bill
G4WJS.

K8BL BOB LIDDY <k8bl@...>

Art,

I got Meinberg to work on my old desktop last year and all
went well and still is. However, when I tried to get it to work
on a newer desktop, I gave up after a lot of screwing around
and gave Dimension 4 a try. It was SO EASY and worked the
first time I tried.

GL/73,   Bob  K8BL

On Thursday, March 19, 2020, 01:39:40 AM EDT, Arthur Bernstein via Groups.Io <n2ka@...> wrote:

Thanks.
Art., N2KA..

Gilbert Baron

Yes, Dimension 4 or even easier is Network Tie Sync. Mienberg is nothing but a big PITA.

Outlook Laptop Gil W0MN
Hierro candente, batir de repente
44.08226N 92.51265W EN34rb

-----Original Message-----
From: WSJTX@groups.io <WSJTX@groups.io> On Behalf Of K8BL BOB LIDDY
Sent: Thursday, March 19, 2020 07:11
To: wsjtx@groups.io
Subject: Re: [WSJTX] Getting Meinberg to work

Art,

I got Meinberg to work on my old desktop last year and all went well and still is. However, when I tried to get it to work on a newer desktop, I gave up after a lot of screwing around and gave Dimension 4 a try. It was SO EASY and worked the first time I tried.

GL/73, Bob K8BL

On Thursday, March 19, 2020, 01:39:40 AM EDT, Arthur Bernstein via Groups.Io <n2ka@...> wrote:

I’ve downloaded Meinberg but keep getting an error message when I try to start it up. Running Windows 10, 64 bit. I’m assuming I’m missing a file. Downloaded a driver for it, but still no go. I surmise my inaccurate time sync in my computer has caused my decoding FT8 to be erratic. I did it “cave man” style by tuning to WWV at 10 MHz to get the clock close. I’m sure it won’t hold and my decoding and inability to make contacts will return. Any help out there? Sorry if this is a repeat, but the long rants have made my head spin.
Thanks.
Art., N2KA..

--
W0MN EN34rb 44.08226 N 92.51265 W

HP Laptop

Derek Brown

Bill,

Your link took me to this page : Free Download NTP Software ntp-4.2.8p13-win32-setup.exe (3.81 MB)

Which is the software I installed ?

Like Bob above I am currently using Dimension 4 and that is working, but it does have a habit of losing connections to the time servers or they are just excluding external users ? Thats why I thought I would give Meinberg a try, so what am I doing wrong ?

Derek G8ECI
On Thursday, 19 March 2020, 12:10:45 GMT, K8BL BOB LIDDY <k8bl@...> wrote:

Art,

first time I tried.

GL/73,   Bob  K8BL

On Thursday, March 19, 2020, 01:39:40 AM EDT, Arthur Bernstein via Groups.Io <n2ka=verizon.net@groups.io> wrote:

Thanks.
Art., N2KA..

Sorry I can’t agree Gilbert. Once set up I've had very good results and service from Meinberg. I've not had to touch it over 4 years of use and my time stays synced to LT 10 milliseconds.

From: WSJTX@groups.io [mailto:WSJTX@groups.io] On Behalf Of Gilbert Baron
Sent: Thursday, March 19, 2020 9:00 AM

Yes, Dimension 4 or even easier is Network Tie Sync. Mienberg is nothing but a big PITA.

Outlook Laptop Gil W0MN

Art,

I got Meinberg to work on my old desktop last year and all went well and still is. However, when I tried to get it to work on a newer desktop, I gave up after a lot of screwing around and gave Dimension 4 a try. It was SO EASY and worked the first time I tried.

GL/73, Bob K8BL

I’ve downloaded Meinberg but keep getting an error message when I try to start it up. Running Windows 10, 64 bit. I’m assuming I’m missing a file. Downloaded a driver for it, but still no go. I surmise my inaccurate time sync in my computer has caused my decoding FT8 to be erratic. I did it “cave man” style by tuning to WWV at 10 MHz to get the clock close. I’m sure it won’t hold and my decoding and inability to make contacts will return. Any help out there? Sorry if this is a repeat, but the long rants have made my head spin.
Thanks.
Art., N2KA..

--

HP Laptop

Gilbert Baron

It used to work well for me too but then started having problems. I am sure I could get it working again but the others are much simpler to set up and maintain on 3 different PCs so that is what I am using now.

Cada a su manera  😊

Outlook Laptop Gil W0MN

From: WSJTX@groups.io <WSJTX@groups.io> On Behalf Of Dan Malcolm
Sent: Thursday, March 19, 2020 09:08

Sorry I can’t agree Gilbert.  Once set up I've had very good results and service from Meinberg.  I've not had to touch it over 4 years of use and my time stays synced to LT 10 milliseconds.

Dan – K4SHQ

CFI/II

From: WSJTX@groups.io [mailto:WSJTX@groups.io] On Behalf Of Gilbert Baron

Sent: Thursday, March 19, 2020 9:00 AM

Outlook Laptop Gil W0MN

Art,

GL/73,   Bob  K8BL

I’ve downloaded Meinberg but keep getting an error message when I try to start it up. Running Windows 10, 64 bit.  I’m assuming I’m missing a file. Downloaded a driver for it, but still no go. I surmise my inaccurate time sync in my computer has caused my decoding FT8 to be erratic. I did it “cave man” style by tuning to WWV at 10 MHz to get the clock close. I’m sure it won’t hold and my decoding and inability to make contacts will return. Any help out there? Sorry if this is a repeat, but the long rants have made my head spin.

Thanks.

Art., N2KA..

--

HP Laptop

--

HP Laptop

Bill Somerville

On 19/03/2020 14:06, Derek Brown via Groups.Io wrote:
Bill,

Your link took me to this page : Free Download NTP Software ntp-4.2.8p13-win32-setup.exe (3.81 MB)

Like Bob above I am currently using Dimension 4 and that is working, but it does have a habit of losing connections to the time servers or they are just excluding external users ? Thats why I thought I would give Meinberg a try, so what am I doing wrong ?

Derek G8ECI

Derek,

I can't help you much if you don't share what isn't working for you, other than agreeing that for many user SNTP clients line Dimension4 do not provide a stable enough clock for reliable WSJT-X usage. Have you read this document:

https://www.meinbergglobal.com/english/sw/readme-ntpinstaller.htm

Before others start flaming me for saying SNTP clients like Dimension4 work fine for them and I am talking rubbish, please be aware that sometimes an apparently stable clock is not what it appears and short term variations between SNTP synchronizations are likely to be detrimental to decoder performance. If you have a PC with a stable real-time clock chip, properly installed SNTP client, and the Windows Network Time Client disabled (be warned this can change without your input!); then you will be fine but not all hardware has a stable enough real-time clock chip and need continuous monitoring and adjustment as provided by a full NTP implementation.

Bill
G4WJS.

Jim Bacher - WB8VSU

Derek, regardless of which NTP client you install, you must select "public" NTP servers near your location. The NTP clients have no idea where in the world the client would be used to have valid NTP servers for your use. What ever the NTP client has set as default won't work well. 

There are a number of NTP Public server pools. 

Jim Bacher, WB8VSU 
wb8vsu@... 
https://trc.guru

On Thu, Mar 19, 2020 at 10:18 AM, Bill Somerville
<g4wjs@...> wrote:
On 19/03/2020 14:06, Derek Brown via Groups.Io wrote:
Bill,

Derek G8ECI

Derek,

I can't help you much if you don't share what isn't working for you, other than agreeing that for many user SNTP clients line Dimension4 do not provide a stable enough clock for reliable WSJT-X usage. Have you read this document:

https://www.meinbergglobal.com/english/sw/readme-ntpinstaller.htm

Before others start flaming me for saying SNTP clients like Dimension4 work fine for them and I am talking rubbish, please be aware that sometimes an apparently stable clock is not what it appears and short term variations between SNTP synchronizations are likely to be detrimental to decoder performance. If you have a PC with a stable real-time clock chip, properly installed SNTP client, and the Windows Network Time Client disabled (be warned this can change without your input!); then you will be fine but not all hardware has a stable enough real-time clock chip and need continuous monitoring and adjustment as provided by a full NTP implementation.

Bill
G4WJS.

neil_zampella <neilz@...>

FWIW ... in D4, I found that once I select a local (to me) time server that allows ANONYMOUS access, not all do, D4 has never failed.

You'll have to play in the advanced settings, and look at each time server to see if they require you to 'contact' someone, or if they allow anonymous access.

Neil, KN3ILZ

On 3/19/2020 10:06 AM, Derek Brown via Groups.Io wrote:

Bill,

Derek G8ECI
On Thursday, 19 March 2020, 12:10:45 GMT, K8BL BOB LIDDY <k8bl@...> wrote:

Art,

first time I tried.

GL/73,   Bob  K8BL

On Thursday, March 19, 2020, 01:39:40 AM EDT, Arthur Bernstein via Groups.Io <n2ka=verizon.net@groups.io> wrote:

Thanks.
Art., N2KA..

Virus-free. www.avg.com

Bob Lewis

I have been using D4 with WSJT-x since before FT8 was added. I have it set to a local server, time-b.nist.gov, and have never had an issue, other than Windows update occasionally turning its automatic update back on. I thought about switching to Meinberg since so many are recommending it but after reading the pages of setup info and possible issues I decided not to fix something that is working okay for me.

From: WSJTX@groups.io [mailto:WSJTX@groups.io] On Behalf Of neil_zampella
Sent: Thursday, March 19, 2020 11:57 AM

FWIW ... in D4, I found that once I select a local (to me) time server that allows ANONYMOUS access, not all do, D4 has never failed.

Rob Kivell

I’m not sure how you can get much simpler than Dimension4. I have used it for the last two years without a hitch on two different puters. When I installed on my new Dell computer, it even turned off my windows time. The only caveat with Dimension4 is as previously mentioned do not allow the switching from one source to another. Pick the closest one that works and leave it alone. In my case, I live in NWFL and use the site at The UF in Gainesville and it has never been down in two years

Rob kk4 eun

On Mar 19, 2020, at 9:00 AM, Gilbert Baron <w0mn00@...> wrote:

Outlook Laptop Gil W0MN

Art,

GL/73, Bob K8BL

Thanks.
Art., N2KA..

--

HP Laptop

Gwen Patton <ardrhi@...>

NetTime is also a no-brainer. I have it on all of my machines, including Win7 and Win10 systems. They both started up just by running as administrator, and took over from the MS time system with default settings. The most I had to do was pick a time server. I used the default nettime pool server, and it has worked flawlessly since. It's been years now. You can find it at  http://www.timesynctool.com/

Gwen, NG3P

On Thu, Mar 19, 2020 at 12:34 PM Rob Kivell <kk4eun@...> wrote:
I’m not sure how you can get much simpler than Dimension4. I have used it for the last two years without a hitch on two different puters. When I installed on my new Dell computer, it even turned off my windows time. The only caveat with Dimension4 is as previously mentioned do not allow the switching from one source to another. Pick the closest one that works and leave it alone. In my case, I live in NWFL and use the site at The UF in Gainesville and it has never been down in two years

Rob kk4 eun
> On Mar 19, 2020, at 9:00 AM, Gilbert Baron <w0mn00@...> wrote:
>
> Yes, Dimension 4 or even easier is Network Tie Sync. Mienberg is nothing but a big PITA.
>
> Outlook Laptop Gil W0MN
> Hierro candente, batir de repente
> 44.08226N 92.51265W EN34rb
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: WSJTX@groups.io <WSJTX@groups.io> On Behalf Of K8BL BOB LIDDY
> Sent: Thursday, March 19, 2020 07:11
> To: wsjtx@groups.io
> Subject: Re: [WSJTX] Getting Meinberg to work
>
> Art,
>
> I got Meinberg to work on my old desktop last year and all went well and still is. However, when I tried to get it to work on a newer desktop, I gave up after a lot of screwing around and gave Dimension 4 a try. It was SO EASY and worked the first time I tried.
>
> GL/73,   Bob  K8BL
>
>
>
>
>
>
> On Thursday, March 19, 2020, 01:39:40 AM EDT, Arthur Bernstein via Groups.Io <n2ka=verizon.net@groups.io> wrote:
>
>
>
>
>
> I’ve downloaded Meinberg but keep getting an error message when I try to start it up. Running Windows 10, 64 bit.  I’m assuming I’m missing a file. Downloaded a driver for it, but still no go. I surmise my inaccurate time sync in my computer has caused my decoding FT8 to be erratic. I did it “cave man” style by tuning to WWV at 10 MHz to get the clock close. I’m sure it won’t hold and my decoding and inability to make contacts will return. Any help out there? Sorry if this is a repeat, but the long rants have made my head spin.
> Thanks.
> Art., N2KA..
>
>
>
>
> --
> W0MN EN34rb 44.08226 N 92.51265 W
>
> Hierro candente, batir de repente
>
> HP Laptop
>

--

-+-+-+-+-
Jenny Everywhere's Infinite: Quark Time
http://quarktime.net

groups@...

Your clock should remain accurate enough for WSJTX using what you call "cave man style", getting it set within a second once a day.
Also, if  your computer is on a network, you could run the Windows Time Sync before starting WSJTX and it likewise should be accurate enough for at least an entire day.

If your computer clock is so erratic that it is experiencing time instability of more than a couple tenths of a second per minute or more than 1.5 seconds over several minutes  no clock sync program is going to help.  You need to get the real-time-clock in your computer repaired.

David
AK9F

On 3/19/2020 12:39 AM, Arthur Bernstein via Groups.Io wrote:

Thanks.
Art., N2KA..