locked PTT issue

OGANE YOSHIAKI

Hi all,

I am new to the group.

I have a PTT issue. When I click Tune button several times repeatedly, my K3 will be keyed to TX for the first two to three times of clicking Tune. However, it will not be keyed after that with the same setting. Restarting WSJTX program or even PC does not cure the problem. I also deleted and reinstalled WSJTX program without a joy.

I am running DXLab on the same PC(OS Windows 10 Pro) that runs WSJTX. A USB serial cable with FTDI chipset connects PC and K3 for PTT. For the precise timing of PTT, I prefer RTS to CAT as PTT method.

Does anyone have any clue?

JL1CNY/ND1Y Sam

Bill Somerville

On 16/03/2020 13:33, OGANE YOSHIAKI wrote:
Hi all,

I am new to the group.

I have a PTT issue. When I click Tune button several times repeatedly, my K3 will be keyed to TX for the first two to three times of clicking Tune. However, it will not be keyed after that with the same setting. Restarting WSJTX program or even PC does not cure the problem. I also deleted and reinstalled WSJTX program without a joy.

I am running DXLab on the same PC(OS Windows 10 Pro) that runs WSJTX. A USB serial cable with FTDI chipset connects PC and K3 for PTT. For the precise timing of PTT, I prefer RTS to CAT as PTT method.

Does anyone have any clue?

JL1CNY/ND1Y Sam
Hi Sam,

this is a long standing known issue. We do not currently have a fix but avoiding repeated fast PTT assertions is advised.

Are you using commander for rig control?

OGANE YOSHIAKI

Edited

Thank you, Bill, for your comments and advise. It seems I have to live with it.

Yes,  I am using Commander for rig control, which works just great.

With CAT selected as PTT method, keying my K3 is not steady. Sometimes K3 is keyed immediately when clicking Tune. Other times taking long time or even not. It might be because I am controlling K3 remotely with Remote Rig RRC 1258 setup. For some reasons, VOX does not work properly either. Currently I am PTTing manually in accordance with the TX of WSJTX. Really need some methods to key K3 steadily.

JL1CNY/ND1Y Sam

Bill Somerville

On 17/03/2020 03:42, OGANE YOSHIAKI wrote:

[Edited Message Follows]

Thank you, Bill, for your comments and advise. It seems I have to live with it.

Yes,  I am using Commander for rig control, which works just great.

With CAT selected as PTT method, keying my K3 is not steady. Sometimes K3 is keyed immediately when clicking Tune. Other times taking long time or even not. It might be because I am controlling K3 remotely with Remote Rig RRC 1258 setup. For some reasons, VOX does not work properly either. Currently I am PTTing manually in accordance with the TX of WSJTX. Really need some methods to key K3 steadily.

JL1CNY/ND1Y Sam
Hi Sam,

using remote control of your rig will add uncertainty to timings of CAT actions and will add latency and possible disruption of audio. Many users manage this but you cannot expect it to work completely seamlessly. One area that is worth trying with a K3 is to disable WSJT-X's ability to set he rig's mode for you. To do this the WSJT-X option "Settings->Radio->Mode" must be set to "None". You must then set the rig to USB DATA A mode yourself. Doing this simplifies the CAT traffic considerably during Tx/Rx transitions, and particularly with the DX Lab Suite Commander plus K3 combination avoids a nasty issue with some very slow CAT responses from the K3.

With a complicated CAT setup like yours you must also chose carefully how you control PTT. Commander must be the ultimate controller of PTT, preferably via a CAT command. IIRC the Remote Rig equipment does not support hard-wired PTT using RTS or DTR lines so CAT is the only choice anyway other than using the rig's DATA VOX, which is not recommended due to timing uncertainties. You should aim to get Commander being able to key and un-key the rig using the "Tx" and "Rx" buttons on the Commander main window. Once you have that working you can select the WSJT-X option "Settings->Radio->PTT Method->CAT" along with using "Settings->Radio->Rig->DX Lab Suite Commander", which will defer PTT control to Commander when requested by WSJT-X.