locked CAT issue with FTDX1200 / 3000 #Cat_RigControl

Greg Chartrand

I have an Yaesu FTDX1200 and use it and most bands FT-8/4 and all works well except for one glitch.

When I band-switch to 6 meters using the band selector on WSJT-X, the antenna stays on antenna #1
and does not switch to antenna #2 which is my 6M antenna. If I band-switch on the front panel of the radio,
it switches to antenna #2 which is programmed in the band-stack registers.

I realize this is really a deficiency in the Yaesu radio and not WSJT-X because it does not use the band-stacking
information through the CAT interface. I believe Icom does it right and probably would have not purchased
the Yaesu if I knew of this in advance.

I'm curious to see if anyone can or has figured out a work-around for this situation.

Greg

Bill Somerville

On 14/03/2020 13:57, Greg Chartrand via Groups.Io wrote:
I have an Yaesu FTDX1200 and use it and most bands FT-8/4 and all works well except for one glitch.

When I band-switch to 6 meters using the band selector on WSJT-X, the antenna stays on antenna #1
and does not switch to antenna #2 which is my 6M antenna. If I band-switch on the front panel of the radio,
it switches to antenna #2 which is programmed in the band-stack registers.

I realize this is really a deficiency in the Yaesu radio and not WSJT-X because it does not use the band-stacking
information through the CAT interface. I believe Icom does it right and probably would have not purchased
the Yaesu if I knew of this in advance.

I'm curious to see if anyone can or has figured out a work-around for this situation.

Greg
Hi Greg,

some Yaesu rigs CAT commands allow the frequency to be set directly or by first selecting a band then selecting a frequency. Unfortunately the results cam be different. When selecting a band various parameters last used on that band are recalled, whereas setting the frequency directly does not recall any last used settings for the target band. IMHO this is a defect in the Yaesu implementation, and as you suggest other manufacturers manage this without anomalies. Yeasu complicate this further in some rigs by only having CAT commands for "Band Up" and "Band Down" so getting to the right band before selecting a frequncy is non-trivial and potentially involves several mechanical steps in the rig when many bands have to be traversed.

Frank Mellott

Not sure I can easily test this for you as I do not have 2 antennas hooked up and I thought the antenna 2  jack on the 1200 was receive only. But I bet if you use Flrig it will solve your problem.

I start flrig then n3fjp then wsjtx and that combo works well for Cat control and logging.

The ftdx1200 works well and is easy to set up in flrig.

Frank
KB3PQT

Sent via the Samsung Galaxy S8, an AT&T 5G Evolution capable smartphone

Greg Chartrand

This is a good reason not to buy a Yaesu radio if you are principally interested in digital modes.

Jim Preston N6VH

I have been using Yaesu rigs for many years, and have never had a problem using digital modes, nor with cat control.

73,

Jim N6VH

On 3/15/2020 8:48 AM, Greg Chartrand via Groups.Io wrote:
This is a good reason not to buy a Yaesu radio if you are principally interested in digital modes.
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

AB8WD-Willie

They all have glitches if you doubt ur decision sell it.

Frank Mellott

Dittos here!

HF or VHF, a Yaesu radio and sound card works well for me. I will admit that my 857D took more effort than I expected to get to to connect to the Signalink, CAT control, WSJTX and N3FJP simultaneously. But when it was designed some of those didn't exist yet.   I know the Icom 7300  is popular, and I really was planning to buy a Kenwood 590SG when I bought my last Yaesu.  But don't don't trash it until you know you have what is better. and the FTDX 1200/3000 are light years ahead of the 857/897 series.

Frank

KB3PQT

https://www.avg.com

Jim Brown

On 3/15/2020 8:48 AM, Greg Chartrand via Groups.Io wrote:
This is a good reason not to buy a Yaesu radio
There's another good reason -- their lower cost radios (less than $5K) are notoriously dirty on SSB (massive splatter) and clicky on CW. If you run one on these modes, you're a bad neighbor on the bands.

73, Jim K9YC

Roger

I've placed this topic into moderation before it degenerates any further. Please ensure future comments are helpful to the WSJTX community.

Roger, GW4HZA, moderator

Greg Chartrand

It sure would be nice to have a reviewer of radios specifically for the WSJT modes that takes into account all aspects of performance so people like me can judge based on relative elements of the digital modes.

Just for the record, I'm extremely pleased over-all with my FTDX-1200, it is clean, stable, and has a extraordinary receiver that on CW will compete with the best of all the other radios in the market. The CAT antenna switch issue is my only complaint and will get fixed when I purchase an amplifier and tuner that is programmable. I will not bash Yaesu over-all in fact hardly any of the radio's available are fully designed with digital in mind so virtually all are compromises in one way or the other. Roger, I think this horse has been sufficiently beaten to death!

Kai-KE4PT

Jim,
I've been running the Yaesu FT-817 on SSB to unsolicited rave reviews on the audio quality. Also no complaints on CW, RTTY (via sound card), and many of the modes in WSJT-X and FLdigi, via Signaling USB auido/PTT unit.
That is a good reason to buy Yaesu!
Kindest regards,
Kai Siwiak, KE4PT

Hasan Schiers N0AN

Unrelated to WSJT-X as such, but a very important consideration for satellite work w/r to the FT-817 and for that matter, the FT-857D and a few other Yaesu rigs is that neither of these radios will accept frequency data via CAT while PTT is asserted.

This means that they cannot do doppler correction, without dropping PTT, which makes satellite, ops even with a separate receiver laborious at best.

So, if you are going to get a new radio for WSJT-X,. and have any intentions of ever using it for satellite operation, do not buy these two radios and be very careful to find out if any radio you purchase will accept CAT commands while PTT is asserted.

Take it from someone who learned the hard way. I have a virtually new FT-857d sitting on a shelf. Wonderful radio in terms of price/performance, but near useless for satellite work where real time doppler correction is important.

73, N0AN
Hasan

On 3/16/2020 7:47 AM, Kai-KE4PT wrote:
I've been running the Yaesu FT-817 on SSB to unsolicited rave reviews on the audio quality. Also no complaints on CW, RTTY (via sound card),
The problem with these cheap rigs aren't heard by the stations you're working, but by those on adjacent frequencies. I suggest that you look at it on a spectrum display with waterfall while TX SSB -- what I've repeatedly seen are pronounced widening of the signal on voice peaks on both sides of the 2.8 kHz bandwidth, and if the amplitude display is set for averaging or to accumulate peaks, I often see that the splatter is less than 20 dB below the 2.8 kHz envelope.

Same for the clicks. Here are reports I put together several years ago. The first is all ARRL Lab data which they sent me electronically, the second is all my own work.

http://k9yc.com/TXNoise.pdf

http://k9yc.com/P3_Spectrum_Measurements.pdf

I should put together another report with plots of clean and dirty rigs. A group of west coast contesters hangs out on LSB just above the FT8 watering hole on 160M. Most of the guys have a nice clean envelope, while a few splatter like mad, down into the top of the FT8 bandpass!

A great place to see this is on 40M.

W4TV, a retired broadcast engineer, looked into the this and chased down the reasons.

73, Jim K9YC