From: Ryan Trullinger (KC0QNB)
Sent: Wednesday, March 4, 2020 08:41
To: WSJTX@groups.io
Subject: [WSJTX] Look Up button options

I have looked and it appears that the callsign lookup button really doesn't do anything, unless another application is also installed, like JT-alert.
Why not add some options, for lookup sites like Hamcall, QRZ, (for the paying subscribers) or HamQTH?
--
Ryan, KC0QNB, DN90WW. Gothenburg, NE

Gary - AG0N

On Mar 4, 2020, at 06:56, Darl DEEDS <na8w@...> wrote:

Perhaps the reason is they are still working on the bugs and enhancements of the primary package they have now.
WSJT-X doesn’t have a lookup button and never has that I know of. The program is more than a little busy to want to add something that might have to wait on the extremely variable speed of the internet.

73, Gary - AG0N

Kai-KE4PT

Gary,
Look at the main GUI, button marked "Lookup" just above the Date and time window.

From the User Guide:
"The program can maintain a database of callsigns and locators for future reference. Click Add to insert the present call and locator in the database; click Lookup to retrieve the locator for a previously stored call. This feature is mainly useful for situations in which the number of active stations is modest and reasonably stable, such as EME (Earth-Moon-Earth) communication. The callsign file name is CALL3.TXT."

The button might not do what you want, but "Lookup" is prominently there!
Kind regards
Kai, KE4PT

On 3/4/2020 09:28, AG0N-3055 wrote:

On Mar 4, 2020, at 06:56, Darl DEEDS <na8w@...> wrote:

Perhaps the reason is they are still working on the bugs and enhancements of the primary package they have now.
WSJT-X doesn’t have a lookup button and never has that I know of.  The program is more than a little busy to want to add something that might have to wait on the extremely variable speed of the internet.

73, Gary - AG0N

neil_zampella

FWIW .... there aren't many 'original package bugs' .. but I agree, adding additional functionality when there's a third-party program that will do that, and more just adds complexity to an already complex code base.

Neil, KN3ILZ

On 3/4/2020 8:56 AM, Darl DEEDS wrote:

Perhaps the reason is they are still working on the bugs and enhancements of the primary package they have now. It’s a free program and we are at their mercy on enhancements and I am not one to get on and ask for more until they have the original package bugs worked out.

Darl  NA8W

On 04/03/2020 13:40, Ryan Trullinger (KC0QNB) wrote:
I have looked and it appears that the callsign lookup button really doesn't do anything, unless another application is also installed, like JT-alert.
Why not add some options, for lookup sites like Hamcall, QRZ, (for the paying subscribers) or HamQTH?
--
Ryan, KC0QNB, DN90WW. Gothenburg, NE
Ryan,

the WSJT-X call "Lookup" button searches in previously stored entries, saved by the "Add" button. The retrieved data is the grid square. The functionality is designed for EME and other VHF, UHF, or microwave modes where grid squares can be critical to making a QSO. Particularly with EME, the grid square is needed to calculate the Doppler shift between yourself and a DX station. The function is not intended to do any remote lookup of information from web services etc..

Gary - AG0N

On Mar 4, 2020, at 07:57, Kai-KE4PT <k.siwiak@...> wrote:

Look at the main GUI, button marked "Lookup" just above the Date and time window.
You are correct. I had forgotten that button as I rarely use it. I looked right at it and didn’t see it. However, as has been pointed out, lookup only looks internally, not externally. There’s no “QRZ” function available.

Gary - AG0N

Dave Garber

qrz lookup is on jtalert, if that helps

Dave Garber
VE3WEJ / VE3IE

On Fri, Mar 6, 2020 at 11:17 AM AG0N-3055 <mcduffie@...> wrote:

> On Mar 4, 2020, at 07:57, Kai-KE4PT <k.siwiak@...> wrote:
>
> Look at the main GUI, button marked "Lookup" just above the Date and time window.

You  are correct. I had forgotten that button as I rarely use it.  I looked right at it and didn’t see it.  However, as has been pointed out, lookup only looks internally, not externally.  There’s no “QRZ” function available.

Gary - AG0N

Gwen Patton <ardrhi@...>

It would appear that the lookup button doesn't do what people are assuming. It doesn't do an online lookup, it does a lookup in it's internal database. Items get added to the internal DB with the "add" button, and you can check to see if you've worked them by tapping the "lookup" button.

Who ever said it checked QRZ.com, or any other site like that?

73,
Gwen, NG3P

On Sun, Mar 8, 2020, 6:08 PM Dave Garber <ve3wej@...> wrote:
qrz lookup is on jtalert, if that helps

Dave Garber
VE3WEJ / VE3IE

On Fri, Mar 6, 2020 at 11:17 AM AG0N-3055 <mcduffie@...> wrote:

> On Mar 4, 2020, at 07:57, Kai-KE4PT <k.siwiak@...> wrote:
>
> Look at the main GUI, button marked "Lookup" just above the Date and time window.

You  are correct. I had forgotten that button as I rarely use it.  I looked right at it and didn’t see it.  However, as has been pointed out, lookup only looks internally, not externally.  There’s no “QRZ” function available.

Gary - AG0N

Jim Cooper

On 8 Mar 2020 at 18:34, Gwen Patton wrote:

Who ever said it checked QRZ.com, or any other site like that?
The email which you quoted in your response
said that JTALERT does QRZ.com lookups,
which it DOES .. a couple of different ways.

<ve3wej@...> wrote:

qrz lookup is on jtalert, if that helps
In JTAlert, there's a little button at the lower
right [Q] which will take you directly to the
QRZ.com page for the current callsign ...

The bottom line of the JTAlert window wil,
if so configured, also automagically do a QRZ
lookup for the currently selected call sign and
report back name, QTH, Grid, Country and Zones.

Those not using JTAlert are missing out on these
and dozens of other useful features.

Gwen Patton <ardrhi@...>

I wasn't answering Dave's email, Jim, I was responding to the *thread*. If I was answering anyone specific, it was Ryan, the OP.

I use Gmail, and unless I explicitly open the hidden text at the bottom of a given email, I don't even SEE the indented past posts. I just responded to the group when I got to the bottom. But back to what I was actually responding to, which was Ryan noticing that the "lookup" button in WSJT-X doesn't seem to do anything, much less look up the currently-selected call on QRZ or something. That's because it doesn't do external lookups, it does the lookup in IT'S OWN DATABASE, populated with the data of the hams whom you deliberately added TO that database by clicking the "Add" button...once again, in WSJT-X.

73,
Gwen, NG3P

<ve3wej@...> wrote:

> qrz lookup is on jtalert, if that helps

In JTAlert, there's a little button at the lower
right  [Q]  which will take you directly to the
QRZ.com page for the current callsign ...

The bottom line of the JTAlert window wil,
if so configured, also automagically do a QRZ
lookup for the currently selected call sign and
report back name, QTH, Grid, Country and Zones.

Those not using JTAlert are missing out on these
and dozens of other useful features.

--

-+-+-+-+-
Jenny Everywhere's Infinite: Quark Time