locked Working DX Stations

Irwin Darack

Today I attempted to work the  VP8PJ station on 14.090. I am pretty good at FT8, but totally confused on the protocol. In the Decode box I see all the stations calling, but do not see the VP8PJ responding or calling.

Any suggestions where to look would be appreciated.

Thanks, Irwin KD3TB
--
Irwin KD3TB

George J Molnar, KF2T

First ensure you are in Fox/Hound mode.

The Fox (DX Station) will ALWAYS transmit first/even. If you don’t hear him, don’t call.

You must call above above 1000 Hz and have CAT control set up. When the DX responds to you, you will be shifted out of the pileup to a working frequency to complete the QSO.

Watchdog times are much shorter.

George J Molnar
Arlington, Virginia, USA
(702) 767-5420
KF2T   -   FM18lu

On Feb 26, 2020, at 9:20 PM, Irwin Darack <idarack@...> wrote:

Today I attempted to work the  VP8PJ station on 14.090. I am pretty good at FT8, but totally confused on the protocol. In the Decode box I see all the stations calling, but do not see the VP8PJ responding or calling.

Any suggestions where to look would be appreciated.

Thanks, Irwin KD3TB
--
Irwin KD3TB

neil_zampella <neilz@...>

Are you using DXPedition mode (Fox & Hound) ?    You may want to review the DXpedition User Guide found here:

https://physics.princeton.edu/pulsar/K1JT/FT8_DXpedition_Mode.pdf

Neil, KN3ILZ

On 2/26/2020 9:20 PM, Irwin Darack wrote:

Today I attempted to work the  VP8PJ station on 14.090. I am pretty good at FT8, but totally confused on the protocol. In the Decode box I see all the stations calling, but do not see the VP8PJ responding or calling.

Any suggestions where to look would be appreciated.

Thanks, Irwin KD3TB
--
Irwin KD3TB

Jim Cooper

On 26 Feb 2020 at 21:20, Irwin Darack wrote:

Today I attempted to work the VP8PJ
station on 14.090. I am pretty good at
FT8, but totally confused on the
protocol. In the Decode box I see all
the stations calling, but do not see
the VP8PJ responding or calling.

Any suggestions where to look would be appreciated.
The fox will always be BELOW 1000 Hz, and
callers have to be above 1000 Hz ...

At least at my QTH, VP8PJ is always quite week ...
I never saw them stronger than about -11 db ...

They can use anywhere from one to five channels,
and their signal goes down a lot when they use
more than one channel (notice, they always call CQ
using one channel !!)

If you don't copy the fox between about 250 Hz
and 650 Hz then you are probably not receiving
them, in which case there is no point in calling them.

fwiw, I spent all afternoon and most of the early
evening Wednesday getting DECENT copy on VP8PJ
but was never able to get even a first response from
them ... I guess 40 watts to a hex beam just
ain't makin' it !!

w2jc

Irwin Darack

Thanks to everyone for their help.