locked 60 meters: Operating - FT8

K8BL BOB LIDDY <k8bl@...>

I'm considering operating FT8 on 60M this evening.

How will Govt Users inform me of their planned usage
so that I can go QRT?

I hope my 10W to an end-fed LW at 20 Ft. doesn't cause
too much interference.

de  Bob  K8BL/5

On Thursday, February 20, 2020, 04:02:30 PM CST, Bonnie KQ6XA <bonniekq6xa@...> wrote:

The channel at 5357 kHz USB has constant FT8 transmissions, 24/7/365, worldwide.
Currently, 5357-FT8 is not being shared properly by Secondary hams with Primary users.

Solution: The developers of FT8 can add a lockout feature in FT8 for 1 minute of silence at the top of every 5 minutes, when tuned to 5 MHz.
This would provide a viable time window for Primary users to communicate.
It also would avoid the Amateur Radio Service losing its valuable Secondary allocation on 60 meters.

If the developers of FT8 don't act soon:

    1. Primary users won't allow hams to continuously take over their allocation much longer.
    2. Some Primary user will probably put multi-kilowatts on it to simply take their allocation back. (We can see this starting to happen already with the HF radars)
    3. Primary users will oppose Amateur Service efforts at ITU conferences to increase the worldwide power allocation from 15 Watts to 100 Watts.
    4. Governments which not approve allowing their hams to use 60 meters, or will drastically curtail their use of it (see Australia)
5357 is the ONLY international Amateur Radio Service channel on 60 meters.
Be nice to it.

-Bonnie KQ6XA

Bruce N7XGR

Bob,  Remember what Scott Carpenter at Houston said to John Glenn on this day
in history when he lifted off from Cape Canaveral, "Godspeed John Glenn"
So paraphrasing, Godspeed Bob Liddy!
John Glenn was born in my hometown of Cambridge.

Bruce  N7XGR

On Thu, Feb 20, 2020 at 7:15 PM K8BL BOB LIDDY <k8bl@...> wrote:
[...]

Kai-KE4PT

You monitor the channel in upper SSB mode.
Cheers
Kai, KE4PT

On 2/20/2020 19:15, K8BL BOB LIDDY wrote:

[...]

Seannon Baker (AG0NY)

Umm, I think that you missed the point... YOU are the secondary user, they don't need to tell you anything, you just follow the rules in place and monitor the frequency, keep your TX on the correct frequency, and don't transmit if you have someone transmitting on that frequency. I'm assuming you're going to be transmitting on channel 3, be sure to use the correct dial frequency and lock your tx at 1500hz so you will be in compliance with the rules on that band...

Seannon AG0NY

--
“It is a simple feat of scientific electrical engineering — only expensive — blind, faint-hearted, doubting world.”

Nikola Tesla

K8BL BOB LIDDY <k8bl@...>

I think we've just about killed this subject. If you couple of
guys want to keep arguing minutia, spare us other hundreds
and take it off-line already.  GEEEEESH!

de   Bob  K8BL/5

On Friday, February 21, 2020, 11:36:35 PM CST, Seannon Baker (AG0NY) <kd4iyi@...> wrote:

[...]

Chuck Adams

Hey! Has anybody asked about 60 meters and FT8?