locked Tx tracking Rx

Russell Blair <nc5opsk@...>

Years ago when I used this program there was a box to check for the Tx to track the Rx, Did I miss it here, I looked in the online help and found no help or I missed it there as well. So is there a way to set the Tx to track the Rx. ?

Russell NC5O

Nc8q-mesh@gelm.net

On 2/18/20 10:25 AM, Russell Blair wrote:
Years ago when I used this program there was a box to check for the Tx to track the Rx, Did I miss it here, I looked in the online help and found no help or I missed it there as well. So is there a way to set the Tx to track the Rx. ?

Russell NC5O

Kind of.
There is a box to hold TX or not.
Look for 'Hold Tx Freq' box.

--

Ok well that did fix what I wanted it to, when I move the Rx I would like the Tx to move as well. ?
I'm not operating split mode.

Russell NC5O  

------ Original Message ------
Sent: 2/18/2020 9:35:04 AM
Subject: Re: [WSJTX] Tx tracking Rx

Russell NC5O

Kind of.

--

Herb Blue - WB8ASI

They move together when you hold down the Ctrl key.   73, Herb WB8ASI

On February 18, 2020 at 12:39 PM Russell Blair <nc5opsk@...> wrote:

Ok well that did fix what I wanted it to, when I move the Rx I would like the Tx to move as well. ?

Russell NC5O  

Russell NC5O

Kind of.

--

Mike / W8DN

Not sure why you would need to track the Rx freq with the Tx freq Russell. If you do not have the Tx freq held, when you double click on the station you want to call, the Tx will go to that freq. However, the current 'best practice' (so to speak) is to pick what appears to you to be a clear freq and stay on that freq. Granted, your chosen Tx freq may not be clear on the other end but it is the best you can do given that you can't hear from the other Op's end of things. Is there a special reason why you want Rx and Tx to track? Are you using CAT control and have 'Rig' selected in the settings? This will give you the best performance.

Mike / W8DN

On 2/18/2020 12:39 PM, Russell Blair wrote:

Russell NC5O  

Russell NC5O

Kind of.

--

I was about to ask whether it was better to stay on a single TX frequency or reply on the calling station's frequency. I had rationalised it in my mind that because FT modes have defined transmit periods, operating split frequency QSOs does not waste frequency. Operating split allows you to be separate from others calling the same station. I have that checked all the time.

73 Phil GM3ZZA

On 18 Feb 2020 17:56, Mike Rhodes <weightdn@...> wrote:

Not sure why you would need to track the Rx freq with the Tx freq Russell. If you do not have the Tx freq held, when you double click on the station you want to call, the Tx will go to that freq. However, the current 'best practice' (so to speak) is to pick what appears to you to be a clear freq and stay on that freq. Granted, your chosen Tx freq may not be clear on the other end but it is the best you can do given that you can't hear from the other Op's end of things. Is there a special reason why you want Rx and Tx to track? Are you using CAT control and have 'Rig' selected in the settings? This will give you the best performance.

Mike / W8DN

Russell NC5O  

Russell NC5O

Kind of.

--

--
73 Phil GM3ZZA

Herb Blue - WB8ASI

I agree running split is best.  Allows you better keep yourself in the clear.  On a quiet band I sometimes cozy up next to the desired station and let the green and red brackets just touch, so the automatic Halt TX will kick in if the station calls someone else.  73, Herb WB8ASI

On February 18, 2020 at 2:15 PM "Philip Rose via Groups.Io" <pvrose@...> wrote:

I was about to ask whether it was better to stay on a single TX frequency or reply on the calling station's frequency. I had rationalised it in my mind that because FT modes have defined transmit periods, operating split frequency QSOs does not waste frequency. Operating split allows you to be separate from others calling the same station. I have that checked all the time.

73 Phil GM3ZZA

Mike / W8DN

Russell NC5O  

Russell NC5O

Kind of.

--

--
73 Phil GM3ZZA

Thanks Herb, 

I've found it annoying when working split that the automatic halt TX doesnt.

73 Phil GM3ZZA

On 18 Feb 2020 19:33, Herb Blue <WB8ASI@...> wrote:
I agree running split is best.  Allows you better keep yourself in the clear.  On a quiet band I sometimes cozy up next to the desired station and let the green and red brackets just touch, so the automatic Halt TX will kick in if the station calls someone else.  73, Herb WB8ASI
On February 18, 2020 at 2:15 PM "Philip Rose via Groups.Io" <pvrose@...> wrote:

73 Phil GM3ZZA

Mike / W8DN

Russell NC5O  

Russell NC5O

Kind of.

--

--
73 Phil GM3ZZA

--
73 Phil GM3ZZA

Thanks to all for your input, well I guest I like for the Tx to track the Rx. Thanks Hub I'l give that a try, if not then I'l use it as is. Thanks all 
Russell NC5O

Sent: 2/18/2020 11:50:34 AM

Russell NC5O  

Russell NC5O

Kind of.

--

Chris Zukowski

Mine tracks by default unless I tell it to “Hold TX Freq”. 

On Tue, Feb 18, 2020 at 11:52 AM Russell Blair <nc5opsk@...> wrote:
Thanks to all for your input, well I guest I like for the Tx to track the Rx. Thanks Hub I'l give that a try, if not then I'l use it as is. Thanks all 
Russell NC5O

Russell NC5O  

Russell NC5O

Kind of.

--

Hasan Schiers N0AN

The only disadvantage to operating split mode is that some stations seem to deliberately close down their "view" in the waterfall and then they don't hear you if you are calling "off their waterfall".

I run split 99% of the time, but every so often you have to get on or relatively close to the calling station's frequency (which I dislike), or they won't answer because they don't see you calling (no decode happens if their waterfall span is less than where you are calling).

I use "hold Tx Freq" almost exclusively and it works really well, except for the issue above.

73, N0AN
Hasan

On Tue, Feb 18, 2020 at 1:17 PM Philip Rose via Groups.Io <pvrose=btinternet.com@groups.io> wrote:

73 Phil GM3ZZA

Mike / W8DN

Russell NC5O  

Russell NC5O

Kind of.

--

--
73 Phil GM3ZZA

Thanks Hasan,

IIRC, I've seen WSJT-X decode outside my waterfall. Obviously if the rig's filter is less than 3k then that restricts what would get decoded.

73 Phil GM3ZZA

On Tuesday, 18 February 2020, 19:54:18 GMT, Chris Zukowski <czukowski@...> wrote:

Russell NC5O

Russell NC5O  

Russell NC5O

Kind of.

--

--
73 Phil GM3ZZA

Seannon Baker (AG0NY)

You can't really force the TX to track the RX per se, you can set it to the same by right clicking on receive in the waterfall window and there's an option for it, others have mentioned this is not necessarily the best practice, it's "usually" best to find a quiet frequency to stake out and set to maintain that frequency, the RX side will pretty much take care of itself as the entire RX passband is decoded

Seannon, AG0NY

On Wed, Feb 19, 2020, 00:39 Philip Rose via Groups.Io <pvrose=btinternet.com@groups.io> wrote:
Thanks Hasan,

IIRC, I've seen WSJT-X decode outside my waterfall. Obviously if the rig's filter is less than 3k then that restricts what would get decoded.

73 Phil GM3ZZA

On Tuesday, 18 February 2020, 19:54:18 GMT, Chris Zukowski <czukowski@...> wrote:

Russell NC5O

Russell NC5O  

Russell NC5O

Kind of.

--

--
73 Phil GM3ZZA