Win10 upgrade and Chrome

Pentti Savolainen

Hi

I just got Win10 update and now when TX'ing FT8 and at the same time updating web page in Chrome (Firefox too) breaks the TX for a sec or so...
Surprisingly surfing with the Edge Beta does not have this issue at all.

PC is i7 3.4GHz 16GB ram and has no issues b4 this.

Best 73
Ben oh7ps

Dave Garber

sounds like you computer resource may be at maximum, and perhaps an upgrade is need in memory, or processor type

Dave Garber
VE3WEJ / VE3IE

On Sat, Jan 18, 2020 at 6:24 PM Pentti Savolainen via Groups.Io <oh2bps=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Hi

I just got Win10 update and now when TX'ing FT8 and at the same time updating web page in Chrome (Firefox too) breaks the TX for a sec or so...

Best 73
Ben oh7ps

Joe Dz

Hi Ben,

CHROME has this software called a software reporter tool.  Every now and then it launches 2 to 4 tasks, each consuming 20% or more CPU resources, so when it runs, it could take up to 100% of the CPU resources.  It basically searches your system for what CHROME thinks is bogus software.  You can disable it.  However, every now and then when W10 and/or CHROME updates, it may put back a newer software reporter tool, so you need to disable it again.

While this may not be your problem, it is well worth disabling the CHROME software reporter tool anyway to stop it from running right in the middle of the QSO.  Here is a link with the instructions on how to disable it.  Basically you stop any program from being able to call it.

https://www.ghacks.net/2018/01/20/how-to-block-the-chrome-software-reporter-tool-software_reporter_tool-exe/

Joe

K1YOW

From: WSJTX@groups.io [mailto:WSJTX@groups.io] On Behalf Of Pentti Savolainen via Groups.Io
Sent: Saturday, January 18, 2020 4:45 PM
To: WSJTX@groups.io
Subject: [WSJTX] Win10 upgrade and Chrome

Hi

Best 73
Ben oh7ps

m_scot_alex

This can indeed be a problem when doing anything with a browser running and it's not the only cause. There are several Chrome features that will cause system disk access which, in addition to using CPU lock cycles, will increase the number of interrupts which has a significant impact on real-time application performance. I would advise that, in addition to Joe's recommendation, those that must have Chrome open when operating should also disable Chrome prefetch and predictive services:

https://fossbytes.com/fix-100-disk-usage-windows-10/

Mike - N8MSA

On Sun, Jan 19, 2020 at 08:18 AM, Joe Dz wrote:

Hi Ben,

CHROME has this software called a software reporter tool.  Every now and then it launches 2 to 4 tasks, each consuming 20% or more CPU resources, so when it runs, it could take up to 100% of the CPU resources.  It basically searches your system for what CHROME thinks is bogus software.  You can disable it.  However, every now and then when W10 and/or CHROME updates, it may put back a newer software reporter tool, so you need to disable it again.

While this may not be your problem, it is well worth disabling the CHROME software reporter tool anyway to stop it from running right in the middle of the QSO.  Here is a link with the instructions on how to disable it.  Basically you stop any program from being able to call it.

https://www.ghacks.net/2018/01/20/how-to-block-the-chrome-software-reporter-tool-software_reporter_tool-exe/

Joe

K1YOW

From: WSJTX@groups.io [mailto:WSJTX@groups.io] On Behalf Of Pentti Savolainen via Groups.Io
Sent: Saturday, January 18, 2020 4:45 PM
To: WSJTX@groups.io
Subject: [WSJTX] Win10 upgrade and Chrome

Hi

Best 73
Ben oh7ps

Pentti Savolainen

Edited

Hello and TNX Joe & Mike

I did the trick doing the Chrome policies option and YES, this seems to be OK now, having solid TX periods. :)

Best 73
Pentti
oh7ps oh2bps