locked Old Logs

Michael WA7SKG

I've been using WSJT-X on the same computer since 2017. I have always logged the contacts, but never really paid attention to the logs until now. I went into the log directory and see the logs there only go back to January 2019. I'm looking for contacts made in 2017 and 2018. Do these logs rotate somehow? Is there any way to find the logs from previous years? I have searched for other log and adi files and came up empty.

tnx es 73,
Michael WA7SKG

Larry Knain

My wsjtx_log.adi has all QSOs back to 2016. I just did a reconciliation about a week ago between the wsjtx log and my main log with no discrepancies (just over 15000 QSOs). I actually log via JTAlert to DXLab. Perhaps you reset something during program updates? Someone had a scheme for deleting wav files and if you did that perhaps it got some of the log data as well?

73, Larry W6NWS

On 1/18/2020 10:43 AM, Michael WA7SKG wrote:
I've been using WSJT-X on the same computer since 2017. I have always logged the contacts, but never really paid attention to the logs until now. I went into the log directory and see the logs there only go back to January 2019. I'm looking for contacts made in 2017 and 2018. Do these logs rotate somehow? Is there any way to find the logs from previous years? I have searched for other log and adi files and came up empty.

tnx es 73,
Michael WA7SKG

Gilbert Baron

A good reason to have one main log and log to that in real time. IMHO DXKeeper is the one that should be but there are others. Logging in real time to the main log and having a backup strategy is the way to avoid your problem. You may have no recovery at this point but I will let someone with more knowledge of the app to answer that.

Outlook Laptop Gil W0MN

Hierro candente, batir de repente

44.08226N 92.51265W EN34rb

--

W0MN EN34rb 44.08226 N 92.51265 W

Hierro candente, batir de repente

HP Laptop

Jim Brown

I strongly recommend DXKeeper. I was lucky to discover it soon after getting back on the air in 2003. It's one of several loggers supported by JTAlert and/or WSJT-X. Excellent (automagic) integration with LOTW, eQSL, ClubLog. It's FREEWARE.

73, Jim K9YC

On 1/18/2020 12:38 PM, Gilbert Baron wrote:
A good reason to have one main log and log to that in real time. IMHO DXKeeper is the one that should be but there are others.

Dave Garber

have you been uploading them to qrz or eqsl or lotw ??   then you could downl;oad the adi files, and import into one of the logbooks mentioned in other responses

Dave Garber
VE3WEJ / VE3IE

On Sat, Jan 18, 2020 at 10:43 AM Michael WA7SKG <wa7skg@...> wrote:
I've been using WSJT-X on the same computer since 2017. I have always
logged the contacts, but never really paid attention to the logs until
now. I went into the log directory and see the logs there only go back
to January 2019. I'm looking for contacts made in 2017 and 2018. Do
these logs rotate somehow? Is there any way to find the logs from
previous years? I have searched for other log and adi files and came up
empty.

tnx es 73,
Michael WA7SKG

Michael WA7SKG

The logging was only to the WSJT-X built-in log. I never uploaded them anywhere. Apparently, either a WSJT-X or Windows update started the log over again or somehow deleted everything prior to January 1st, 2019.

Everybody is telling me what I should have done and what I need to do in the future. But nobody is offering any ideas on what happened to my WSJT-X logs or where I might find the old data or what, if anything, I can do to prevent loss of future WSJT-X logs. I will be more diligent in the future, but that does not help the past data.

Michael WA7SKG

On Sat, Jan 18, 2020 at 10:43 AM Michael WA7SKG <wa7skg@... <mailto:wa7skg@...>> wrote:
I've been using WSJT-X on the same computer since 2017. I have always
logged the contacts, but never really paid attention to the logs until
now. I went into the log directory and see the logs there only go back
to January 2019. I'm looking for contacts made in 2017 and 2018. Do
these logs rotate somehow? Is there any way to find the logs from
previous years? I have searched for other log and adi files and came up
empty.
tnx es 73,
Michael WA7SKG

neil_zampella

Michael ... you won't be able to recover that data unless there is a copy on your hard drive somewhere.    Did you do a computer search for files on WSJT using the Windows 10 search function?

As far as preventing loss of future logs, people have been giving good advice.    DO NOT rely on WSJT-X to save your log.    Use a dedicated logger, that also has the capability to upload the QSOs to LoTW, and/or eQSL.   You will then aid other OPs by giving them an electronic QSL, and have a backup of your completed QSOs.

As far as other advice, do a weekly backup of your system.   There are many good, inexpensive backup programs that you can find.   Even a batch file that does a copy of the directory to another location on an external hard drive can be used and triggered by the Windows Task Manager to run daily.   A quick Google search can help you with that.

However, it may be time to face the reality all that data is gone.

Neil, KN3ILZ

All you can do is make sure it doesn't happen again, which is why

On 1/19/2020 2:56 AM, Michael WA7SKG wrote:
[...]

Matt Gumbley

Hi Michael,
It sounds likely that the files have been removed by a WSJT-X upgrade, but unlikely that Windows upgrade would remove them.. you may be able to ‘undelete’ them with a tool like:

I haven’t tried this, but it looks like it might offer the features you’d need.

Or PhotoRec:

I have used this successfully to recover ‘lost’ photos from dying hard drives - I’m not sure whether it would work on ADIF data though.

A possibility for future use might be to start a free DropBox account, get their software set up, then create a folder for WSJT-X logs in your DropBox folder, and get WSJT-X to store its data there.

Hope this helps,
73, Matt M0CUV

[...]

w5ec

How do you download my logs as an adi file from LOTW?
I looked for a way to do that once  and I couldn't find how to do it.
That would be a big help  if I lose some of my log.
Bill W5EC

Sam Birnbaum

Just a silly question, do you still have the entire all.txt file?
If you do you can recover all your contact from that fil. you ill need to have a program written for you that creates adif records from that file. Let me know if you need/want help

73,

Sam W2JDB

[...]

Clark Stewart

A few years ago I described to my DX club two different ways to recover your QSO's from LoTW.  What is written below describes TWO different ways to do the same thing.

========== Below is LoTW Log Recovery Info ==========

     As you may know, LoTW only saves the very basic info about the QSO.  That is, Date, Time, Band, Mode, and Callsign.  It does not save any comments like Name, QSL info, etc.  And, it will not save the information about whether or not you have sent or received a QSL from that station.  Plus, it will ONLY give you QSO's that have been uploaded to LoTW.  Any that were not uploaded are just lost.  Still, getting the basic info back can be huge.  I helped a few people do that including one who recovered his 70,000 QSO log using the exact procedure I outline below.

     Below is my description of the procedure.  You will have to modify the commands in the example to include the correct callsign of the person who is trying to recover his log and his own LoTW password.  Where I talk about loading the ADIF file into DX4WIN, you can import it into virtually any logging program that supports the ADIF file format.  You can simply COPY the command line below and PASTE it into the address bar of your browser.  Then make the changes to CALLSIGN and PASSWORD and hit enter.

     In addition to the procedure described below, there is also an online form created by K1MU that will let you download data from your LoTW account.  Here is the link to that form:

http://www.rickmurphy.net/lotwquery.html

     Some people like using the above form instead of the process described below as they feel it is less complicated.  I have not used the above online form for large logs but I think it should work as well.

==========

     There is a feature of LoTW which will let you recover at least the important part of ALL your log data which was uploaded to LoTW.  It will let you recover the CALLSIGN, DATE, TIME, BAND and MODE of the QSO's you uploaded to LoTWThe information will be returned in an ADIF file which you can edit if you want and then import into DX4WIN.

     The process is described on this web page:

http://www.arrl.org/lotw/developer/adifout.html

     You simply need to send an HTTPS command to LoTW with the appropriate parameters in it and LoTW will respond with an ADIF file.  I just tried this and (by adjusting the start date) was able to download the last 150 QSO's I had uploaded to LoTW in a single ADIF file.  My "TEST" returned ALL the QSO's I had uploaded to LoTW - those which HAD an LoTW match (QSL) and those with NO QSL match.  In essence, it returned my entire log for the period I asked.

     Below is an example of the command you need to send to recover your log:

https://www.arrl.org/lotwuser/lotwreport.adi?login=CALLSIGN&password=PASSWORD&qso_query=1&qso_owncall=CALLSIGN&qso_detail=yes&qso_qsl=no&qso_qsorxsince=1900-01-01&qso_withown=yes

     Of course, you need to replace in the above example the TWO words "CALLSIGN" with "Your Own Callsign" and replace "PASSWORD" with "YOUR Own LoTW Password."  If you have loaded QSO's into LoTW with other callsigns besides your current call, then you need to eliminate the "qso_owncall" statement in order to get all your QSO's.

     Try the above command, but change the "qso_qsorxsince=1900-01-01" statement to a very recent date so the file you download will only be the last 100 or 200 QSO's you uploaded.  This can be a "TEST" to make sure you have the parameters set correctly.

     Once you have received the "TEST" file, you can try to import it into DX4WIN (into a NEW database for the TEST.)  I am not familiar with DX4WIN so you may have to EDIT the ADIF file before you can properly import it into DX4WIN.  One thing I noticed is that the ADIF file contains a "QSL" field like this:  <QSL_RCVD:1>N  and if you import that into DX4WIN, it will indicate that you DO have a QSL for that contact.  This actually means an LoTW QSL and not an actual hard QSL so you need to be sure your logging program treats it that way.  You can edit that field so that DX4WIN recognizes this is an LoTW QSL.  Also, the LoTW file includes a field like this:  <QSLRDATE:8>20070415  and you may want to delete that before loading into DX4WIN as it just records WHEN the QSL was confirmed on LoTW.

     If that TEST works successfully, then you can proceed to download all your QSO's.

==========

73, Clark, W8TN

On 1/19/2020 8:24 AM, w5ec wrote:
How do you download my logs as an adi file from LOTW?
I looked for a way to do that once  and I couldn't find how to do it.
That would be a big help  if I lose some of my log.
Bill W5EC

Dave Garber

are you starting wsjt with a 'rig-name' now, or did you before 2019???

can you get access to the hidden folder called 'appdata' and look in there.   there may be multiple folder with the wsjt name on it.

Dave Garber
VE3WEJ / VE3IE

On Sun, Jan 19, 2020 at 2:56 AM Michael WA7SKG <wa7skg@...> wrote:
The logging was only to the WSJT-X built-in log. I never uploaded them
anywhere. Apparently, either a WSJT-X or Windows update started the log
over again or somehow deleted everything prior to January 1st, 2019.

Everybody is telling me what I should have done and what I need to do in
the future. But nobody is offering any ideas on what happened to my
WSJT-X logs or where I might find the old data or what, if anything, I
can do to prevent loss of future WSJT-X logs. I will be more diligent in
the future, but that does not help the past data.

Michael WA7SKG

Dave Garber wrote on 1/18/20 9:06 PM:
> have you been uploading them to qrz or eqsl or lotw ??   then you could
> downl;oad the adi files, and import into one of the logbooks mentioned
> in other responses
>
> Dave Garber
> VE3WEJ / VE3IE
>

> On Sat, Jan 18, 2020 at 10:43 AM Michael WA7SKG <wa7skg@...
> <mailto:wa7skg@...>> wrote:
>
>     I've been using WSJT-X on the same computer since 2017. I have always
>     logged the contacts, but never really paid attention to the logs until
>     now. I went into the log directory and see the logs there only go back
>     to January 2019. I'm looking for contacts made in 2017 and 2018. Do
>     these logs rotate somehow? Is there any way to find the logs from
>     previous years? I have searched for other log and adi files and came up
>     empty.
>
>     tnx es 73,
>     Michael WA7SKG

Bob McGraw - K4TAX <rmcgraw@...>

I do allow WSJT-X, current and previous versions to create a log as both adif and txt formats.   I also manually log to QRZ.COM. Then from QRZ.COM I can upload direct to LOTW with 3 key clicks.    That way, I always have the WSJT-X log which is easily searchable, the QRZ. COM log, again searchable,  and the LOTW log.

I do regular back-up of my hard drive to an external solid state drive every 7 days.  If you value any of your computer information, you must do a regular back-up.  Otherwise, everything is based on a crap shoot.

73

Bob, K4TAX

WB5JJJ - George

Edited

Backups are the only safe solution.  I use Acronis on all of my computers and back up to a Network Attached Storage (NAS) device, but you could easily use a USB external HDD or SSD.  I make a full system backup overnight on all of my active computers.  That way, if necessary, I can restore a computer (or just a single file) to the previous day's configuration or at least the night before.  This has saved my bacon so many times during the onslaught of Win10 updates.  It takes about 15 minutes to do a complete system (~250Gb) restore from a previous backup and just a couple of minutes to restore a file or two.

On top of that, I write all critical information such as spreadsheets, documents and accounting files, to DropBox.  My HRD LogBook software does this automatically after every 10 contacts as well.  HRD also writes to a thumb drive and to a drive on my NAS when I shut it down for the night.  Overkill?  Perhaps, but I've never lost a log that could not be retrieved up to the last 10 entries at worst.  And if using digital software such as WSJTx, the ADI file will fill in the missing ones as long as it can be read.  WSJTx also passes each completed QSO to HRD LB instantly.  I have even created a new WSJTx log file from HRD LB by exporting the appropriate contact to a create new ADI file.  Every QSO is automatically uploaded to eQSL, QRZ, HRDlog and ClubLog upon completition, plus to LoTW as I feel necessary or when I shut down for the night, all are a source for missing entries.  Can you say overkill once again?

My digital logs have been migrated from home brew logging programs via so many free version to today's HRD.  This has gone on for the past 30+ years.  A logger was the first thing I wrote on my first home built PC clone back in the early 1980's.  And boy was it a crude way of logging by today's standards.  But, I still have that first computer logged contact today.  I probably still have some of the log backups on 5.25" floppies somewhere, but no way to read them now days.

In today's computer world, if you don't have CURRENT backups, you are playing with fire with your data.
--
73's
George - WB5JJJ

Gilbert Baron

Do not depend on this as a backup. LoTW stores ONLY what is needed to verify a contact. You WILL lose a lot of things if you use it for backup. Create a good backup strategy and forget about using LotW for backups.

Outlook Laptop Gil W0MN

Hierro candente, batir de repente

44.08226N 92.51265W EN34rb

How do you download my logs as an adi file from LOTW?
I looked for a way to do that once  and I couldn't find how to do it.
That would be a big help  if I lose some of my log.
Bill W5EC

--

W0MN EN34rb 44.08226 N 92.51265 W

Hierro candente, batir de repente

HP Laptop

Jim Preston N6VH

In your  AppData Local WSJT-X folder, there should be files named  wsjtx.log and wsjtx_log.adi. Are those the logs you are looking at? The only changes WSJT-X makes to those logs is to do the logging. They get written to when you click the Log QSO button in WSJT-X.  If those logs are there, and they only go back to Jan 2019 (and they were logged to before that), something else would have to have erased the data. I have no idea what would do that. No, the logs don't rotate. They are continuous from whenever you started logging.

73,

Jim N6VH

On 1/18/2020 7:43 AM, Michael WA7SKG wrote:
I've been using WSJT-X on the same computer since 2017. I have always logged the contacts, but never really paid attention to the logs until now. I went into the log directory and see the logs there only go back to January 2019. I'm looking for contacts made in 2017 and 2018. Do these logs rotate somehow? Is there any way to find the logs from previous years? I have searched for other log and adi files and came up empty.

tnx es 73,
Michael WA7SKG

Kai-KE4PT

Michael and all,
"Deleted" files are stored in the "Recycle" folder in Windows until you clear that folder. You can open the Recycle folder like any other folder and view or retrieve what is there by moving it to wherever you want. ... or am I missing something obvious here?
-Kai, KE4PT

On 1/19/2020 06:49, Matt Gumbley wrote:
[...]

FWIW ... very UNlikely that any WSJT-X upgrade or install did any such removal.   The log directory is purposely kept under the \USERS directory tree so that any upgrade or even uninstall would affect them.

Neil, KN3ILZ

On 1/19/2020 6:49 AM, Matt Gumbley wrote:
[...]

Unless you emptied the folder or they were deleted by an app that may permanently delete them or you filled the bucket or various other things. Yes, check the Recycle but do not hope for too much.

[...]

Andy GD0TEP

Michael,

Yikes.. bit of a shock when you lose a log file. What is the log.txt file like? (same folder)

If you are in the log directory, go up one step to its parent directory (the ‘Local’ folder) and check if there is another log folder from an earlier installation that might be under a slightly different name.

Failing that, google for free data recovery software and search the hard drive for deleted files.. You might be lucky and find a deleted log file..

If you’re still stuck, then sign up to eQSL… those people you have worked that are also signed up will have uploaded to there.. It will give you an idea when you were active..

Good luck!

73

Andy

http://gd0tep.com