WSJT-X & Com Ports

John Ratcliffe

Hello all.

I am a new UK operator. I have been trying for the last few weeks to have N3FJP logger, Win4Icom Suite and WSJT-X work together happily. I am not fussed about having all active at the same time, I understand WSJT-X creates it's own logs that I have been able to import into N3FJP successfully.

My radio is an ICOM 9700 that is connected to my PC via USB (ICOM USB drivers installed). This has caused the creation of Com ports 3 & 4.

My issue is around com ports and the ability of either N3FJP or WSJT-X to directly address the radio for CAT control. I have tried two different approaches:

1. Using Win4Icom to take ownership of Com 3, then creating two pairs of virtual Com ports (using com0com), one port of each pair being assigned to Win4Icom and the other port of each pair being assigned to N3FJP & WSJT-X respectively. This approach also required the installation of OmniRig, which was a complete PITA trying to find a 9700.ini file. I was able to have everything running this way after a couple of weeks of cursing and some late nights, but I'm not entirely convinced WSJT-X was working properly.

2. Using N3FJP and WSJT-X on their own. I used WSJT-X first and it took Com 3 and it works without issue. When I then close WSJT-X and load N3FJP (also assigned Com 3), it can't access the 9700 and complains about an open port it can't close. I have tried rebooting between sessions of the apps as well and that doesn't work either - N3FJP seems to think WSJT-X has locked Com 3.

Can anyone suggest a way to deal with this? Ideally I'd like to be able to just use option 2 above, but have both apps work properly and address the 9700 properly when opened (not at the same time). Is there a way to force WSJT-X to release Com 3? I have tried setting the port in settings to something else, but that doesn't work either.

The only other thought I've had is to use a CI-V cable in addition to the USB cable to create two physical connections between radio and PC, in the hope that CAT control will be possible with either dependent upon which app is running.

TIA for any advice.

Andrew OBrien

I have used WSJTX, Win4Icom, and other logging software without issues , mostly using methods used in your number 1. However I never involved Omnirig.  I use DX Lab Suite and set WSJT-X to "DX LAB" as the radio. Are you dead set on N3FJP ?

Andy K3UK

Gilbert Baron

Yes, works beautifully and with Spot Collector running you get needed colored on the received window. Easy to tell what you need and you have one log file. No messy efforts to keep multiple log files in sync.

Outlook Laptop Gil W0MN

Hierro candente, batir de repente

44.08226N 92.51265W EN34rb

--

W0MN EN34rb 44.08226 N 92.51265 W

Hierro candente, batir de repente

HP Laptop

John Ratcliffe

Thanks for the response Andy.

I did look at DXLabs but didn't like it. I'd prefer to stick with N3FJP if possible; it's a really simple logger to use.

73s,

John M7JHA

Gwen Patton <ardrhi@...>

I've tried N1MM, Swisslog, DXLabs, and HRD. I find that N3FJP is FAR easier to use, and it integrates nicely with Win4K3Suite. I use the general log for everyday use, and the separate, specific contest logs when appropriate. I like that they have separate logs for separate contests, and that they have so MANY such contest logs. I bought the entire bundle -- very economical!

Gwen, NG3P

On Mon, Jan 13, 2020 at 11:49 AM <john_ratcliffe@...> wrote:
Thanks for the response Andy.

I did look at DXLabs but didn't like it. I'd prefer to stick with N3FJP if possible; it's a really simple logger to use.

73s,

John M7JHA

--

-+-+-+-+-
Jenny Everywhere's Infinite: Quark Time

John Ratcliffe

Hello Gwen,

Do you have any issues integrating WSJT-X with N3FJP and Win4K3? Which radio are you using?

Many Thanks,

John

[...]

John,

I don't use an external log program with WSJT-X. I let it log internally, then import its .adi file into another log. Mostly, I was doing that at the end of 2018, when I got my KX3. I did a fair bit of FT8 back then, and I didn't use N3FJP then. I mostly imported my contacts into the QRZ logbook. I also don't use WSJT-X along with WinK3Suite, because WSJT-X is enough to control the frequency. I use the WinK3Suite so I don't have to crane my neck around to use the KX3. Running FT8 doesn't require the extra rig control software. The only rig controlling necessary is setting frequency and keying. Even audio is controlled largely by Windows settings, or using the Power slider in WSJT-X. So while I HAVE all of those pieces of software, I generally don't have to use them all *at the same time*. WSJT-X will do just fine logging the contacts internally. Then you can do what you need to do with the .adi file. That's what I did.

N3FJP does integrate well with WinK3Suite, using their com port pass-through capability, the "3rd party software" feature. But there's no need to add WSJT-X into that, so I've never run all three at the same time.

73,
Gwen, NG3P

On Mon, Jan 13, 2020 at 4:21 PM John Ratcliffe <john_ratcliffe@...> wrote:
[...]

Thanks for taking the time to reply Gwen.

I had just completed a reformat and install of W10 at the weekend, so last night I decided to give Win4Icom another go. Installed com0com again, but this time selected to create a pair of 'Port Class' virtual Com ports. No idea what the difference is from standard, but amazingly everything now works properly! I can run Win4Icom and N3FJP together, or close them and run WSJT-X on it's own and everything is happy - no more issues!

Hurrah!

Thanks to everyone that's contributed to the thread, very grateful to you all.

John M7JHA

B. Smith

I'd go for the Ci-v cable solution. It comes in handy with ic-7300 and should allow your N3FJP software to run. You can get one now for @10 USD.

73, Bill n3xl

Bill Turner

I am using wsjtx, jtalert, and aclog together with just the usb cable. No ci-v cable needed here.

On Wednesday, January 15, 2020, 9:55 AM, B. Smith via Groups.Io <bill.n3xl@...> wrote:

I'd go for the Ci-v cable solution. It comes in handy with ic-7300 and should allow your N3FJP software to run. You can get one now for @10 USD.

73, Bill n3xl

I use flrig connected to the Ic7300. Just make sure you've installed the icom driver.

73 Phil GM3ZZA

On 15 Jan 2020 15:10, "Bill Turner via Groups.Io" <w4wnt@...> wrote:
I am using wsjtx, jtalert, and aclog together with just the usb cable. No ci-v cable needed here.

Bill, W4WNT

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPad

On Wednesday, January 15, 2020, 9:55 AM, B. Smith via Groups.Io <bill.n3xl@...> wrote:

I'd go for the Ci-v cable solution. It comes in handy with ic-7300 and should allow your N3FJP software to run. You can get one now for @10 USD.

73, Bill n3xl

--
73 Phil GM3ZZA

John Ratcliffe

Hello Bill.

With which rig? All apps active at the same time and no issues?

Many Thanks,

John

I am using wsjtx, jtalert, and aclog together with just the usb cable. No ci-v cable needed here.

Bill, W4WNT

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPad

On Wednesday, January 15, 2020, 9:55 AM, B. Smith via Groups.Io <bill.n3xl@...> wrote:

I'd go for the Ci-v cable solution. It comes in handy with ic-7300 and should allow your N3FJP software to run. You can get one now for @10 USD.

73, Bill n3xl

Bill Turner

Hi John,

Icom IC-7300 and all active at the same time. Make the contact in wsjtx and the log is updated there and in ACLog through JTAlert.

Bill

On Wednesday, January 15, 2020, 6:05:23 PM EST, John Ratcliffe <john_ratcliffe@...> wrote:

Hello Bill.

With which rig? All apps active at the same time and no issues?

Many Thanks,

John

I am using wsjtx, jtalert, and aclog together with just the usb cable. No ci-v cable needed here.

Bill, W4WNT

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPad

On Wednesday, January 15, 2020, 9:55 AM, B. Smith via Groups.Io <bill.n3xl@...> wrote:

I'd go for the Ci-v cable solution. It comes in handy with ic-7300 and should allow your N3FJP software to run. You can get one now for @10 USD.

73, Bill n3xl

B. Smith

I use the Ci-v cable for FSK RTTY and to run CW Skimmer in N1MM+. I agree that John should be able to get everything to work together, but if in fact, he finds that he "needs" an extra Com port, I'd use a Ci-v cable rather than VSPE or WinforIcom virtual ports. I also run FLRIG/FLDIGI on the Ci-v port set at 19200, rather than the more complex config I use for N1MM+that supports the Spectrum Scope, WSJT-X, MMTTY, FLDIGI, etc, all on a single USB cable and feeds logging to Log4OM, as well. I have unique configs in my 7300 for several different programs and have found it handy to have a straight vanilla Ci-v port available rather than trying to have a single config for multiple aps.