locked IO error when testing PTT control with 'no rig'

vk3eip

I am new to WSJT-X and just getting it running on an Ubuntu laptop into an FT-101E. It seems to work and I have had a few QSOs on 20 meters.
My question is how do I set up the PTT functions in the settings? It currently works with the FT101E using the VOX mode. However, I want to use WSJT-X on 23cms with an FT-736R and need to trigger the PTT for correct sequencing.
At the moment when I attempt to set the PTT options to use the serial port the test procedure gives me a message "Rig failure Hamlib error: IO error while opening connection to rig".
The Radio settings I am using are 'no rig' and the interface I am using is a UD06YA (a USB interface that uses a PL-2303HX chip that controls the RTS line of the computer serial port). Ubuntu recognises the interface as /dev/ttyUSB0 and that shows up in the Port field of the settings, so there doesn't seem to be a problem there.
What does the IO error mean? Is there a config file somewhere that needs changing?
George, vk3eip

Bill Somerville

On 11/01/2020 02:43, vk3eip wrote:
[...]
Hi George,

i/o error means the port you specified does not exist, or something else has access, or you do not have rights to access it. Have you added your user to the dialout group?

sudo adduser $USER dialout

Then logout and back in, by logout I mean log out the whole desktop or just reboot.

vk3eip

Hi Bill, the adduser command fixed the WSJT-X problem and Test PTT now works. Clearly I didn't have the rights to access the serial port.
However, the computer still doesn't key the FT-101E, so at least now I am down to a hardware problem.
Thanks for your advice
George
vk3eip

Dave_G0WBX

I also have a FT736r.

Nice radio, even now, but...

You will need to do something to prevent the 20.48MHz reference
oscillator drifting with temperature (even the TCXO drifts!)  It's
"OK"(ish) for voice modes, but is just not good enough for many digital
modes on 23cms.

Note too, that the "DATA" I/O cable, has a tendency to couple RF into
the radio in a bad way (a classic "Pin 1" problem) causing "wide"
signals and overall splatter.  Difficult to tell, as these rig's don't
have a TX monitor facility as standard, unless you use another RX to
monitor your TX signal with mk1 ear'ole.

Re the PTT.  Hamlib (V3.3 onwards) correctly controls the FT736r for
PTT, mode & frequency etc from WSJTx  (Thanks to Bill G4WJS) so go for
CAT control.  It works.  (And it correctly releases the radio when you
exit WSJTx.)

73.

Dave G0WBX.

--
Created on and sent from a Unix like PC running and using free and open source software:

vk3eip

Dave, Thanks for your comments.
With the FT-736, my initial concern is to use the Echo mode for testing the EME system. I expect that the oscillator drift will not be critical for the echoes. But I will look at either modifying or replacing the FT-736R if I want to do EME data modes later.

Regarding the DATA IO cables, I was advised just a couple of days ago that the Data-IN/OUT socket on the rear panel of the FT-736R is for FM modes only and that you can't use that socket in the SSB mode. I am not sure if that is correct. Certainly the FT-736R manual says the data socket connects your computer directly to the FM discriminator, but I find it hard to believe that Yaesu would have connected that socket up in such a way that no audio goes in or comes out in SSB mode. I am thinking of setting up a FT-736R on the bench and testing this, but I would be interested in your thoughts on that advice.
Cheers
George
vk3eip