locked No decode on 80M only #FT8

Randy Diddel

Hi all,

Running a Mac Mini with Catalina fully patched and WSJT-X v2.1.2. The radio is a K3s. I have absolutely NO issues decoding on any bands except for 80M.  I see signals on 80 in the water fall perfectly.  My time is spot on in other bands with DT .5 or less. I have no idea where to start-my thought is that it should be all or nothing on all bands.  Having 80M would be nice.

TIA,

K5RHD
/randy

/randy

Dave_G0WBX

Make sure your radio is set to USB on all bands for FT8 and other JT modes.

73.

Dave G0WBX.

--
Created on and sent from a Unix like PC running and using free and open source software:

Gilbert Baron

I do not think that is the answer. WSJTX sets my TS590 to LSB on 80 Mtr and decode works fine. I was a bit surprised at that too since it sets it to USB on all of the other bands , including 40 Mtrs.

Outlook Laptop Gil W0MN
Hierro candente, batir de repente
44.08226N 92.51265W EN34rb

Make sure your radio is set to USB on all bands for FT8 and other JT modes.

73.

Dave G0WBX.

--
Created on and sent from a Unix like PC running and using free and open source software:

--
W0MN EN34rb 44.08226 N 92.51265 W

Hierro candente, batir de repente

HP Laptop

Gilbert Baron

No, I was wrong. I just checked again since that sounded strange. It does set it to USB in all and that incudes 80. Even if I had it set to LSB it changes to USB when I change to the 80M frequency, Sorry,

Outlook Laptop Gil W0MN
Hierro candente, batir de repente
44.08226N 92.51265W EN34rb

Make sure your radio is set to USB on all bands for FT8 and other JT modes.

73.

Dave G0WBX.

--
Created on and sent from a Unix like PC running and using free and open source software:

--
W0MN EN34rb 44.08226 N 92.51265 W

Hierro candente, batir de repente

HP Laptop

John - kc2rxs

Hi,

Make sure you are in Upper Sideband.

John, kc2rxs

ve3ki

Three possibilities:

1. Is the radio in a different data sub-mode on 80m from the other bands? It should be in DATA A on all bands.

2. Is the radio on the correct sideband, or is it perhaps in DATA A-REV on 80m?

3. Is the radio tuned to the wrong frequency on 80m (e.g. is it tuned to the FT4 frequency when the program is in FT8 mode, or vice versa)?

73,
Rich VE3KI

On Fri, Jan 10, 2020 at 06:09 PM, Randy Diddel wrote:
Hi all,

Running a Mac Mini with Catalina fully patched and WSJT-X v2.1.2. The radio is a K3s. I have absolutely NO issues decoding on any bands except for 80M.  I see signals on 80 in the water fall perfectly.  My time is spot on in other bands with DT .5 or less. I have no idea where to start-my thought is that it should be all or nothing on all bands.  Having 80M would be nice.

TIA,

K5RHD
/randy

/randy

B. Smith

Edited

Make sure that the Power Slider at lower right is set to 100%. Each band retains its own settings.

Tim Brannon, WA5MD

Randy,
To me this sounds like some band-specific setting within the radio. My old ICOM 746 "remembers" which antenna (1 or 2) I last selected for each band, and WSJT-X doesn't control that. Could it be that that the radio "remembers" that you last used LSB on 80 meters instead of USB? Maybe there are other settings like that in the radio causing similar trouble - I'm not familiar with Elecraft.
73 de Tim, WA5MD

Randy Diddel

Hi Rich,

Good point. I will check these settings in Data Mode on the K3s. Data mode should be USB already but your suggestion #1 and #2 may be the issue. I bought the radio used and the previous owner could have set something up goofy.

Suggestion #3: Already reset the frequency in the preferences in WSJT-x and I do see FT8 sigs in the waterfall.

B Smith, this is RX not TX. Why would the power slider matter?

I will report back later today.

Thanks everyone,

73

K5RHD

/randy

Randy Diddel

Rich VE3KI nailed it!

The digital setting was something other than Data A (cannot remember which).  I now regret not doing a full reset on my K3s when I first got it from the person I bought it from.

73 everyone!

K5RHD

/randy

Dave Garber

in settings somewhere, set cat to data or none, not rig.   rig may be causing radio to go to lsb, and should not be.  ( based on bandplan)
Dave Garber
VE3WEJ / VE3IE

On Sat, Jan 11, 2020 at 7:48 AM Gilbert Baron <w0mn00@...> wrote:
I do not think that is the answer. WSJTX sets my TS590 to LSB on 80 Mtr and decode works fine. I was a bit surprised at that too since it sets it to USB on all of the other bands , including 40 Mtrs.

Outlook Laptop Gil W0MN
Hierro candente, batir de repente
44.08226N 92.51265W EN34rb

Make sure your radio is set to USB on all bands for FT8 and other JT modes.

73.

Dave G0WBX.

--
Created on and sent from a Unix like PC running and using free and open source software:

--
W0MN EN34rb 44.08226 N 92.51265 W

Hierro candente, batir de repente

HP Laptop

Dave_G0WBX

Hi Gil.

So, there is no problem now?

73.

Dave G0WBX.

(Sounds like 40m is open to India from the UK, @ 23:49 UTC.)

--
Created on and sent from a Unix like PC running and using free and open source software:

Ted VE3TRQ

I suggest you don’t ever do a full reset on a K3 without having a copy of the (hopefully vanilla) settings file. There are many things that are set up at the Elecraft factory to configure the radio. If you reset all to defaults, you lose the factory calibration, and have a whole lot of calibration to do with equipment and procedures you may not have.
--
VE3TRQ  Ted

Randy Diddel

Hi Ted,

I own 3 Elecraft radios, also a PX3, and a KXPA100. I have copies of each factory configuration file backed up in multiple places. You reminded me that I still need to reach out to Elecraft support for the factory settings on this K3s. This may be why I did not bother to do a full reset.

A good reminder to others that may not know this about Elecraft gear.

73

K5RHD

/randy