locked Display the last few QSOs from WSJT-X log

Jacques Pecourt

Has anyone implemented this neat idea described in the FT8+ Operating Guide by ZL2IFB (ref: page 39 in the latest publication release 2.27). Following instructions, the 3 last QSO’s logged appear in a separate resizable window however, what doesn’t work in my case is that there is no updating as it should. The description says: ‘updating itself as each new QSO is logged”. The display list will only be updated if I turn OFF WSJT-X and turn it ON again, but this kills the purpose initially intended.

Not an expert programmer, I am puzzled by the end of the script that says “-wait”.  Waiting for what?  Obviously by a signal that the file LOG.TXT has been updated upon the “Log the contact” signal that appears after exchange of 73’s.

Has anyone else ran against this issue and could lead me to a solution to solve it? Thank you.

Jacques  W2/F2YS

n9bt@...

I was not able to get the script to work, in my case it didn't find the directory where the wsjtx.log file is stored.  However if I open a powershell in Windows 10, then navigate the the directory manually (in my case C:\Users\William Thompson\appdata\local\WSJT-X) and then executed "get-content wsjtx.log -tail 3 -wait", I get output like this:
2020-01-07,02:00:45,2020-01-07,02:01:45,K8JTD,EM79,3.574526,FT8,-03,-07,45,,
2020-01-07,03:06:15,2020-01-07,03:07:00,NG4C,FM16,3.574828,FT8,-12,-16,45,,
2020-01-07,03:17:45,2020-01-07,03:18:45,P49X,FK52,3.574828,FT8,+01,-23,50,,
After I work another station, it adds that QSO's text to another row so it looks like:
2020-01-07,02:00:45,2020-01-07,02:01:45,K8JTD,EM79,3.574526,FT8,-03,-07,45,,
2020-01-07,03:06:15,2020-01-07,03:07:00,NG4C,FM16,3.574828,FT8,-12,-16,45,,
2020-01-07,03:17:45,2020-01-07,03:18:45,P49X,FK52,3.574828,FT8,+01,-23,50,,
2020-01-09,23:56:45,2020-01-09,23:58:45,K0SWT,EM37,3.574839,FT8,-08,-08,45,,
Every station I work results in another row of data.  I don't know what he did to just see the callsign in the data (I'm not good with "powershell") but this is good enough for me.
Bill
N9BT

n9bt@...

I'm on Windows 10 home.  If I open a Powershell, then from my home directory do "cd appdata\local\wsjt-x", and then do "get-content wsjtx.log -tail 3 -wait", I get the data for the last three QSOs.  If I then do another QSO,  the data for new QSO appears below the data for the first three.  The data for the first three remains.  I don't know how to adjust the window to show only the Callsigns, but the qso data is there.
Bill
N9B

Zeev Stadler

Use

get-content ${Env:LocalAppData}\wsjt-x\wsjtx.log -tail 3 -wait | foreach {echo $_.split(",")[4]}

to show only the Callsigns without the need to change directory.

73 de 4X5ZS

On Fri, Jan 10, 2020 at 5:19 AM <n9bt@...> wrote:
I'm on Windows 10 home.  If I open a Powershell, then from my home directory do "cd appdata\local\wsjt-x", and then do "get-content wsjtx.log -tail 3 -wait", I get the data for the last three QSOs.  If I then do another QSO,  the data for new QSO appears below the data for the first three.  The data for the first three remains.  I don't know how to adjust the window to show only the Callsigns, but the qso data is there.
Bill
N9B

Jacques Pecourt

Great answers from both of you Bill and Zeev.  This resolves my issue. This shows that in the background the activity, once launched, wait for an addition of the latest contact into the wsjt.log (the .txt file)  to update the listing.
Bill, I was not able either to minimize the new window as small as it shows on the original description (FT8+ Operating Guide) but I solved the issue by moving it onto the second monitor I use to permanently display the waterfall. A great convenience to verify that I am not ending transmitting on someone else used frequency. I shrink the height to show just these 3 lines on the top of the screen above the waterfall display below.  Thank you again and 73's.
Jacques  W2/F2YS

On Fri, 10 Jan 2020 at 03:52, Zeev Stadler <zeev.stadler@...> wrote:
Use

get-content ${Env:LocalAppData}\wsjt-x\wsjtx.log -tail 3 -wait | foreach {echo $_.split(",")[4]}

to show only the Callsigns without the need to change directory.

73 de 4X5ZS

On Fri, Jan 10, 2020 at 5:19 AM <n9bt@...> wrote:
I'm on Windows 10 home.  If I open a Powershell, then from my home directory do "cd appdata\local\wsjt-x", and then do "get-content wsjtx.log -tail 3 -wait", I get the data for the last three QSOs.  If I then do another QSO,  the data for new QSO appears below the data for the first three.  The data for the first three remains.  I don't know how to adjust the window to show only the Callsigns, but the qso data is there.
Bill
N9B

n9bt@...

Thanks Zeev,
    That script works great!
N9BT

Dick Bingham

Hello Zeev

I am not at all versed in modifying existing software like WSJT-X and using POWERSHELL.

Is the material here ===> https://www.computerperformance.co.uk/windows-7/powershell-2/
what I would use to modify the WSJT-X code to display the previous three QSO's ?

Where in the WSJT-X code do I enter the code modification you presented ===>

get-content ${Env:LocalAppData}\wsjt-x\wsjtx.log -tail 3 -wait | foreach {echo $_.split(",")[4]}

to show only the Callsigns without the need to change directory.

Normally, I will never modify an existing piece of software like WSJT-X, but this caught my
attention as a possible learning experience.

73  Dick/w7wkr

Carl - WC4H

Just an FYI Jacques.

If you use JTAlerts, you can try the "Decodes History Window".  It's in the "View" menu or press F9.

Works nicely.

73.
Carl - WC4H

Zeev Stadler

Edited

Hello Dick,

I do not believe that one can mix a PowerShell script with the WSJT-X code.

The script works independently of WSJT-X by scanning one of  its output files.

Jacques Pecourt

I certainly second this opinion. Thanks to Zeev for given us the additional script to complete the option made (partially) available as indicated in the FT8 + Operating guide. The process works extremely well. The execution now run the PowerShell command independently from the wsjt-x code and can be displayed in a small resized separate window.
Jacques  W2/F2YS

On Thu, 16 Jan 2020 at 14:48, Zeev Stadler <zeev.stadler@...> wrote:

[Edited Message Follows]

Hello Dick,

I do not believe that one can mix a PowerShell script with the WSJT-X code.

The script works independently of WSJT-X by scanning one of  its output files.

Dick Bingham

Hello Zeev

OK, I am still in the dark how one would access the output of the WSJT-X
to add your code !

I will leave well enough alone and be happy to use all of the SW as-is.

Thank you for the quick reply.

73  Dick/w7wkr

KB5WCK

I have a script that runs independently of WSJT-X and shows the last 5 calls logged.  You will need to install Cygwin for it to run though because tail is not a windows app by default.  Cygwin is free though and gives you several Linux commands that are very helpful.  If anyone is interested, I can send it tonight when I get home.  I have a small cmd prompt window in upper left corner that runs this command.

I do not believe that one can mix a PowerShell script with the WSJT-X code. T

The script works independently of WSJT-X by scanning one of  its output files.

neil_zampella <neilz@...>

FWIW .. if you're using JT-Alert the Decodes History Windows will give you that information, along with all the decodes for your current session.

Neil, KN3ILZ