To: WSJTX@...
From: armstrmj@...
Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2012 16:31:11 -0700
Subject: Re: [WSJTX] 30 meters?

Jeez Steve..... You seem to have one of those cases that is truly a worst case scenario..... Can't catch a break anywhere.  I wish the FCC had a stronger enforcement arm and by that I mean guys with guns who possess no sense of humor.  These power companies are radiating on frequencies that interfere with the primary users (you and me) in a most cavalier way.  This would seem, to anyone with half a brain, to be something the FCC would jump with all their feet.

Mike AB7ZU

Don Leitch <don@...>

Where do you get a primary user out of a power company radiating on power lines being a legit user.

The problem I see is we hear someone , assume its a commercial user, being primary user, and we quietly go away.

Are they actually allowed there more to the point.

Don zl1atb

From: armstrmj@...
Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2012 16:31:11 -0700

Jeez Steve..... You seem to have one of those cases that is truly a worst case scenario..... Can't catch a break anywhere.  I wish the FCC had a stronger enforcement arm and by that I mean guys with guns who possess no sense of humor.  These power companies are radiating on frequencies that interfere with the primary users (you and me) in a most cavalier way.  This would seem, to anyone with half a brain, to be something the FCC would jump with all their feet.

Mike AB7ZU

Bill Harris <w7kxb@...>

Don:

Mike/AB7ZU refered to us as "Primary Users".   We in Region Two have Secondary Status. Same in Region Three and One.

No one said anything about the Power Company being a Primary User on 30 meters.  "Our  Reg,s (FCC) state that we avoid interfering with other non-amateur licensed users.." who have Primary Status.

>>The problem I see is we hear someone , assume its a commercial user, being primary user, and we quietly go away. <<

Not necessary Don.  Just QSY if your "interfering" with his transmission..(not sure how you would know that unless you got a "Pink Ticket"  (FCC TALK)  I doubt our 200 watts are going to QRM the primary stations ,  unless your next door to  their receiving station.

Ciao

de Bill-w7kxb . .

To: WSJTX@...
From: don@...
Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2012 16:22:57 +1300

Where do you get a primary user out of a power company radiating on power lines being a legit user.

The problem I see is we hear someone , assume its a commercial user, being primary user, and we quietly go away.

Are they actually allowed there more to the point.

Don zl1atb

Mike Armstrong <armstrmj@...>

Bill and Don, you are both wrong..... I wasn't speaking about 30 meters at all...... My discussion has mostly been to Steve concerning 160 and 80 meters.  However, the power company isn't a spectrum user at all and is operating an ILLEGAL SPARK GAP TRANSMITTER on the entire radio spectrum, of which we are a primary user on most of our bands..... But in the case of 30 meters we are STILL users and the power company IS NOT!

There..... Clear this time?

Mike AB7ZU

Kuhi no ka lima, hele no ka maka

To: WSJTX@...
From: don@...
Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2012 16:22:57 +1300

Where do you get a primary user out of a power company radiating on power lines being a legit user.

The problem I see is we hear someone , assume its a commercial user, being primary user, and we quietly go away.

Are they actually allowed there more to the point.

Don zl1atb

Mike Armstrong <armstrmj@...>

Bill, just to make sure you understand.... Despite the subject line, which wasn't mine..... I was responding to a post by Steve and, quite frankly, haven't said anything at all about 30 meters in any of my posts....... If you read any of my others, you would note that most of my discussion has been aimed at 160, with a dabbling of 80. But this commentary about the power company operating spark gap transmitters, which is what an electric arc really is, had to do with us being users (mostly primary on OUR bands) and them not being ANY user of that spectrum upon which we are legitimate users, whether primary or secondary........

I am afraid you missed the point of the posts to begin with because it was about lighting a fire underneath the power company out Steve's way to get them to clean up their act. They are making it impossible for him to operate 160...... That needs to be fixed. The fact that the FCC hasn't assisted him really hacks me off...... They make alot of rules and control our spectrum, but they don't seem to have an enforcement arm that is worth spit. Otherwise power companies would be cited for operating, unintentionally or negligently, illegal spark gap transmitters that cause all manner of havoc for any and all users...... Primary or secondary.

I hope that makes my series of posts with Steve a little clearer. I am trying to whip up some activity there on this mode and it really blows that he can't go there due, in large part, to the power lines around his house radiating on bands they aren't licensed to operate...... Not to mention that even WE cannot operate a spark gap transmitter in our own spectrum..... Again, the discussion had nothing to do, whatsoever, with 30 meters specifically. :) :)

Mike AB7ZU

Kuhi no ka lima, hele no ka maka

On Nov 17, 2012, at 20:12, Bill Harris <w7kxb@...> wrote:

0700

Phil Williams <ka1gmn@...>

So what does this all mean? In the big scheme of things?

To: WSJTX@...
From: don@...
Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2012 16:22:57 +1300

Where do you get a primary user out of a power company radiating on power lines being a legit user.

The problem I see is we hear someone , assume its a commercial user, being primary user, and we quietly go away.

Are they actually allowed there more to the point.

Don zl1atb

Mike Armstrong <armstrmj@...>

Phil, unfortunately probably not much given what Steve reported concerning his problem getting the power company to actually do something about his line noise issue.

I am not sure, since you haven't mentioned you callsign that I have seen, where you live, but here in the U.S. we do have some alternatives when the power companies don't cooperate.  Since this kind of noise is so prevalent on the low bands and can come from a considerable distance away, it is definitely worth discussing those alternatives.  It is one thing to have an S2 line noise problem that ambient noise would likely overrun anyway...... It is quite another to have it wiping you out at S9+106.  THAT needs to be dealt with because it is flat preventing communications on the band.... Period!

If that sounded pedantic, please forgive me, but again I am not sure where you live and I know the rules in other countries are quite different from ours here in the U.S. in this regard.  At least, I would suspect they are.  I have had considerable success, as I mentioned in a prior post to Steve, getting the power company to cooperate with noise issues.  I suspect there may be a way to get his to cooperate, too, if we can help m find the "magic words" or magic contacts in that company to make it happen....... Maybe not, but it is definitely worth a try.  I mean,  given my own experience, it is just as likely to be a problem on ANY band as it is to be one on 160 or 80...... In fact, in my case, 30 meters was getting hammered once when most of the other bands were pretty quiet..... 160 being the notable exception on that occasion...... It always seems to catch it, no matter which other bands are involved :). In that case, it was a very dirty insulator on some high tension lines not too far away.  I was able to DF it before I called the company.  If you remember the HABOOB that we experienced here in Phoenix a while back, that was apparently the cause of that particular insulator gathering enough dirt to make arcing a virtual guarantee.  The power company involved (we have two major ones) had it fixed in less than 24 hours.

So, like I was saying, all is not lost, you just have to convince them it is in their interest.  Since power "arced" is power lost (and not being payed for), it is usually possible to get their attention.  That is really the point, right?

To: WSJTX@...
From: don@...
Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2012 16:22:57 +1300

Where do you get a primary user out of a power company radiating on power lines being a legit user.

The problem I see is we hear someone , assume its a commercial user, being primary user, and we quietly go away.

Are they actually allowed there more to the point.

Don zl1atb

Bill Harris <w7kxb@...>

Hi Mike/AB7ZU

Sorry for all the confusion this subject has steered up.  My original reply post to you was on the subject: [WSJTX] 30 meters?   which I have pasted below, and I don't see any reference to 160 and 80 meters.

   I was just trying to correct your conception that;  you and me,  are primary users.  Somehow I translated that to mean ;  you and me have Primary Status.   Again, sorry for the confusion I have caused and ask for forgiveness and  speedy judgement from my peers.

Broadband noise from  Power Utility transmission lines is another subject, which has been well discussed,  of which I mostly agree with.

You all have a good week and a Happy Thanksgiving Thursday to those of you  honoring it.

73

.-.-.

de Bill-w7kxb . .

                                                          *****************************

Mike AB7ZU wrote on: Sat, 17 Nov 2012 16:31:11

To: WSJTX@...

From: armstrmj@...
Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2012 16:31:11 -0700

To: WSJTX@...
From: armstrmj@...
Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2012 06:58:35 -0700

Bill and Don, you are both wrong..... I wasn't speaking about 30 meters at all...... My discussion has mostly been to Steve concerning 160 and 80 meters.  However, the power company isn't a spectrum user at all and is operating an ILLEGAL SPARK GAP TRANSMITTER on the entire radio spectrum, of which we are a primary user on most of our bands..... But in the case of 30 meters we are STILL users and the power company IS NOT!

There..... Clear this time?

Mike AB7ZU

Kuhi no ka lima, hele no ka maka

Phil Williams <ka1gmn@...>

Please report to the Radio Hall of Justice immediately!

To: WSJTX@...

From: armstrmj@...
Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2012 16:31:11 -0700

Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2012 06:58:35 -0700

--
Phil KA1GMN

Mike Armstrong <armstrmj@...>

Hey Bill, no problem..... I figured it was something like that.  I hope my response didn't seem too brusk..... Sometimes I come across that way when I am trying to get to the point quickly.... He he he.

Well, I know this is the wsjtx forum and we can probably get far off topic very easily, but I think anything that impacts our ability to test and use this mode, as new as it is, should be discussed.  In my humble opinion, EVERYTHING is pertinent until proven otherwise...... Gawd, wouldn't it be great if this mode could read UNDERNEATH line noise?  Well...... Maybe it can to some degree.  I guess we should test that, too whenever we get a chance.

By the way, is the software author on this forum?  It sure would be great if he were here, too.  Maybe give us (or me, if I am the least knowledgable about this particular mode) some insight into what he thinks it should be capable of doing, then pursue that with some kind of plan vice simply "using" it and running across issues randomly..... If you catch my drift.  ANY mode that can make comms on the low bands, particularly 160/80, is of interest to me.  Like I said in an earlier post, I had to put 160, and 80 too for that matter, on the sideline while I was pursuing my career in the Navy...... Never had the opportunity to raise antennas capable of operating there OR I was someplace where operating on those freqs (or any freqs for that matter) was a big no-no for folks of my profession.... LOL.  So I am trying to make up for 25+ years of "low band ham radio time" lost in that endeavor.... LOL.

On Nov 18, 2012, at 15:22, Bill Harris <w7kxb@...> wrote:

Hi Mike/AB7ZU

Sorry for all the confusion this subject has steered up.  My original reply post to you was on the subject: [WSJTX] 30 meters?   which I have pasted below, and I don't see any reference to 160 and 80 meters.

   I was just trying to correct your conception that;  you and me,  are primary users.  Somehow I translated that to mean ;  you and me have Primary Status.   Again, sorry for the confusion I have caused and ask for forgiveness and  speedy judgement from my peers.

Broadband noise from  Power Utility transmis sion lines is another subject, which has been well discussed,  of which I mostly agree with.

You all have a good week and a Happy Thanksgiving Thursday to those of you  honoring it.

73

.-.-.

de Bill-w7kxb . .

< span style="line-height: 21.111112594604492px; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);">                                                          *****************************

Mike AB7ZU wrote on: Sat, 17 Nov 2012 16:31:11

To: WSJTX@...

From: armstrmj@...
Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2012 16:31:11 -0700

To: WSJTX@...
From: armstrmj@...
Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2012 06:58:35 -0700

Bill and Don, you are both wrong..... I wasn't speaking about 30 meters at all...... My discussion has mostly been to Steve concerning 160 and 80 meters.  However, the power company isn't a spectrum user at all and is operating an ILLEGAL SPARK GAP TRANSMITTER on the entire radio spectrum, of which we are a primary user on most of our bands..... But in the case of 30 meters we are STILL users and the power company IS NOT!

There..... Clear this time?

Mike AB7ZU

Kuhi no ka lima, hele no ka maka

Mike Armstrong <armstrmj@...>

Yeah..... He really messed up this time, Phil...... LOL.  By the way, thanks for passing your callsign along.  Your data in QRZ.com accurate?  It's nice to know where folks are actually located..... Especially if you have any intent of trying this mode on 160.

Can't wait to get some good decodes.  I didn't have the opportunity to spend any serious time at the computer or on the radio this weekend..... Work and family took priority.  At least I had enough time to read some posts...... That's better than nothing.  Still, I need to get some time to try to figure out why my system isn't working properly.  Again, not ready to blame the software until I am sure it isn't MY error.  LOL.  GREAT to meet all you guys, too!

To: WSJTX@...

From: armstrmj@...
Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2012 16:31:11 -0700

From: armstrmj@...
Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2012 16:31:11 -0700

Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2012 06:58:35 -0700

Bill and Don, you are both wrong..... I wasn't speaking about 30 meters at all...... My discussion has mostly been to Steve concerning 160 and 80 meters.  However, the power company isn't a spectrum user at all and is operating an ILLEGAL SPARK GAP TRANSMITTER on the entire radio spectrum, of which we are a primary user on most of our bands..... But in the case of 30 meters we are STILL users and the power company IS NOT!

There..... Clear this time?

Mike AB7ZU

Kuhi no ka lima, hele no ka maka

--
Phil KA1GMN

--
Phil KA1GMN

Mike Armstrong <armstrmj@...>

Phil, well isn't THIS odd........ In my preview pane, I see this "Phil KA1GMN" but you are right, it isn't in the body of the message.  It's like it is your email signature, but it only displays in my preview pane on my iPAD.

Now THAT isn't something I have every seen before with my iPAD email.  There is, by the way, something that looks like written morse after the signature, too.  It isn't clear enough to determine if that is really what I am seeing, though.

To: WSJTX@...

From: armstrmj@...
Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2012 16:31:11 -0700

Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2012 06:58:35 -0700

Bill and Don, you are both wrong..... I wasn't speaking about 30 meters at all...... My discussion has mostly been to Steve concerning 160 and 80 meters.  However, the power company isn't a spectrum user at all and is operating an ILLEGAL SPARK GAP TRANSMITTER on the entire radio spectrum, of which we are a primary user on most of our bands..... But in the case of 30 meters we are STILL users and the power company IS NOT!

There..... Clear this time?

Mike AB7ZU

Kuhi no ka lima, hele no ka maka

--
Phil KA1GMN

--
Phil KA1GMN

blitz716

I dont think Joe Taylor (the author) is on here, but I DO see him often on the digital forum on Obriensweb.
http://www.obriensweb.com/sked/index.php?board=digitalradio
That site is very helpful when scheduling digi contacts and supports most formats of digi modes.
Simple signup, and it works a  lot like SMS messaging. Lots of JT-9 activity most all the time.
Steve -KC2UK

To: WSJTX@...

From: armstrmj@...
Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2012 16:31:11 -0700

To: WSJTX@...
From: armstrmj@...
Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2012 06:58:35 -0700

Bill and Don, you are both wrong..... I wasn't speaking about 30 meters at all...... My discussion has mostly been to Steve concerning 160 and 80 meters.  However, the power company isn't a spectrum user at all and is operating an ILLEGAL SPARK GAP TRANSMITTER on the entire radio spectrum, of which we are a primary user on most of our bands..... But in the case of 30 meters we are STILL users and the power company IS NOT!

There..... Clear this time?

Mike AB7ZU

Kuhi no ka lima, hele no ka maka

Mike Armstrong <armstrmj@...>

Hey thanks Steve!  As active as I am on digital, I am surprised I have never heard that before.  I will definitely sign up.... Probably some time tomorrow.... THANKS AGAIN!

To: WSJTX@...

From: armstrmj@...
Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2012 16:31:11 -0700

To: WSJTX@...
From: armstrmj@...
Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2012 06:58:35 -0700

Bill and Don, you are both wrong..... I wasn't speaking about 30 meters at all...... My discussion has mostly been to Steve concerning 160 and 80 meters.  However, the power company isn't a spectrum user at all and is operating an ILLEGAL SPARK GAP TRANSMITTER on the entire radio spectrum, of which we are a primary user on most of our bands..... But in the case of 30 meters we are STILL users and the power company IS NOT!

There..... Clear this time?

Mike AB7ZU

Kuhi no ka lima, hele no ka maka

Phil Williams <ka1gmn@...>

There's a sign-up fee.

To: WSJTX@...

From: armstrmj@...
Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2012 16:31:11 -0700

To: WSJTX@...
From: armstrmj@...
Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2012 06:58:35 -0700

Bill and Don, you are both wrong..... I wasn't speaking about 30 meters at all...... My discussion has mostly been to Steve concerning 160 and 80 meters.  However, the power company isn't a spectrum user at all and is operating an ILLEGAL SPARK GAP TRANSMITTER on the entire radio spectrum, of which we are a primary user on most of our bands..... But in the case of 30 meters we are STILL users and the power company IS NOT!

There..... Clear this time?

Mike AB7ZU

Kuhi no ka lima, hele no ka maka

--
Phil KA1GMN

Mike Armstrong <armstrmj@...>

Oh, thanks for letting me know that, Phil.  It isn't a problem, but still nice to know in advance :

To: WSJTX@...

From: armstrmj@...
Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2012 16:31:11 -0700

To: WSJTX@...
From: armstrmj@...
Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2012 06:58:35 -0700

Bill and Don, you are both wrong..... I wasn't speaking about 30 meters at all...... My discussion has mostly been to Steve concerning 160 and 80 meters.  However, the power company isn't a spectrum user at all and is operating an ILLEGAL SPARK GAP TRANSMITTER on the entire radio spectrum, of which we are a primary user on most of our bands..... But in the case of 30 meters we are STILL users and the power company IS NOT!

There..... Clear this time?

Mike AB7ZU

Kuhi no ka lima, hele no ka maka

--
Phil KA1GMN

Phil Williams <ka1gmn@...>

Try ...

They're having a special this weekend.  No sign-up fee.

To: WSJTX@...

From: armstrmj@...
Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2012 16:31:11 -0700

To: WSJTX@...
From: armstrmj@...
Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2012 06:58:35 -0700

Bill and Don, you are both wrong..... I wasn't speaking about 30 meters at all...... My discussion has mostly been to Steve concerning 160 and 80 meters.  However, the power company isn't a spectrum user at all and is operating an ILLEGAL SPARK GAP TRANSMITTER on the entire radio spectrum, of which we are a primary user on most of our bands..... But in the case of 30 meters we are STILL users and the power company IS NOT!

There..... Clear this time?

Mike AB7ZU

Kuhi no ka lima, hele no ka maka

--
Phil KA1GMN

--
Phil KA1GMN

blitz716

Yeah, Im idling watching it now, trying to catch something on 40m.
My display just flipped as usual, from the nice-readable dark blue on the wideband window, to the puke green I cant see. I sure wish Joe would fix that, it tough for us with limited vision, as the other pallet colors are equally bad, the red is washed out to me, the blue isn't blue, its more grey, and the only way to restore the nice dark blue (like the lower spectrum pane) is to ript the whole program out and start over again, Ive had to do this about a dozen times now.
Now Ive got some guy calling CQ on CW in the digi portion messing things up, no, now theres two of em. Gonna be a rough nite.

To: WSJTX@...

From: armstrmj@...
Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2012 16:31:11 -0700

To: WSJTX@...
From: armstrmj@...
Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2012 06:58:35 -0700

Bill and Don, you are both wrong..... I wasn't speaking about 30 meters at all...... My discussion has mostly been to Steve concerning 160 and 80 meters.  However, the power company isn't a spectrum user at all and is operating an ILLEGAL SPARK GAP TRANSMITTER on the entire radio spectrum, of which we are a primary user on most of our bands..... But in the case of 30 meters we are STILL users and the power company IS NOT!

There..... Clear this time?

Mike AB7ZU

Kuhi no ka lima, hele no ka maka

blitz716

I avoid the stalker-spy networks like facebook. Garbage in my book.

To: WSJTX@...

From: armstrmj@...
Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2012 16:31:11 -0700

To: WSJTX@...