Locked unproductive band hopping

Don - KM4UDX

hello all!  I see multipule "Receiving WSPR --------- xxm" with no decoded under them.  17, 15, 12,10m seem dead to me on multipule passes.  Does this simply mean that I really didn't hear anyone on that particular random receive window?  If I get a bunch of no receives on a particular band, does that suggest that I have the wrong time slice selected in the Schedule window?  Or that my rig setup just doesn't catch anyone on that band at that time due to any of a thousand reasons?

These unproductive receive windows make me feel ike I should turn off band hopping for them, and concentrate on the bands were I get actuall traffic?

thank you all sooooo much for any help.

Bill Somerville

On 12/08/2019 13:04, Don - KM4UDX wrote:
I see multipule "Receiving WSPR --------- xxm" with no decoded under them.  17, 15, 12,10m seem dead to me on multipule passes.  Does this simply mean that I really didn't hear anyone on that particular random receive window?  If I get a bunch of no receives on a particular band, does that suggest that I have the wrong time slice selected in the Schedule window?  Or that my rig setup just doesn't catch anyone on that band at that time due to any of a thousand reasons?

These unproductive receive windows make me feel ike I should turn off band hopping for them, and concentrate on the bands were I get actuall traffic?
Hi Don,

WSPR band hopping tries to coordinate all stations onto the same band, that maximizes the utility of WSPR. If you do not have some of the coordinated band hopping bands enabled your Rx will pick a random band from your other enabled bands as a substitute. I see you are receiving the same bands sequentially from which I infer that you do have some of the coordinated bands disabled. You would do better to enable all the coordinated bands for Rx and only disable Tx on those that you cannot Tx on; that way you will always be on the same band as other coordinated band hoppers. That in turn may lead to less blank periods if there is any propagation on a given band.

Don - KM4UDX

Bill - so I should enable all bands/periods for RX, and only TX where my rig/antenna support TX -- that way I will maximize coordination of band hoppers.  Correct?

Bill Somerville

On 12/08/2019 21:41, Don - KM4UDX wrote:
Bill - so I should enable all bands/periods for RX, and only TX where my rig/antenna support TX -- that way I will maximize coordination of band hoppers.  Correct?
Basically yes. If your aerial has any hope of decoding WSPR transmissions, and it doesn't need much of an aerial, then you are better on a coordinated slot with everyone else than on another band just because you have a decent aerial for it. Of course if you are particularly interested in some bands then just monitoring and transmitting on them may be desirable.

Don - KM4UDX

here is my current schedule in FM18 with RX on for all bands.  TX is on where my antenna allows more or less...the little uBITX has to suffer with some less than ideal SWRs, but it seems to carry on without any harm.  30 & 12 are no-go TX zones.  I'm building a EFHW that should work on all the 80-10 bands in a few weeks...but for now...this is it.

Does this look okay given my goal is to maximize the number of two way spots?

Bill Somerville

On 13/08/2019 04:35, Don - KM4UDX wrote:
here is my current schedule in FM18 with RX on for all bands.  TX is on where my antenna allows more or less...the little uBITX has to suffer with some less than ideal SWRs, but it seems to carry on without any harm.  30 & 12 are no-go TX zones.  I'm building a EFHW that should work on all the 80-10 bands in a few weeks...but for now...this is it.

Does this look okay given my goal is to maximize the number of two way spots?

Hi Don,

you have it a bit backwards. You have checked "Rx only" for all coordinated hopping bands so you will never Tx on those bands. You also have no times when you use 30m or 12m. I suspect you need to uncheck "Rx only" for all but 30m and 12m. You need to check 30m for all four times and 12m for Day. I would include 160m and 80m for both grayline times as those are the bands most likely to benefit from grayline propagation.

Don - KM4UDX

Bill, don't think you are the first person to tell me I have something backwards...hahahah.

So I fixed it like this.  I just can't TX on 160/30/12, so they are the only bands with Rx only checked.

Related question: should I spend more time on 40/20 (with the majority of traffic), or dilute the time on 40/20 by also hopping to 17/15/10?  I can TX on 17/15/10, but there are releatively few other wsprs up there. From a trade standpoint, given that I want to maximize the number of two-way spot reports, should I spend (split) time on 17/15/10 or just concentrate on 80/40/20?

thank you all!!!!

Don

Bill Somerville

On 13/08/2019 15:02, Don - KM4UDX wrote:
So I fixed it like this.  I just can't TX on 160/30/12, so they are the only bands with Rx only checked.

Related question: should I spend more time on 40/20 (with the majority of traffic), or dilute the time on 40/20 by also hopping to 17/15/10?  I can TX on 17/15/10, but there are releatively few other wsprs up there. From a trade standpoint, given that I want to maximize the number of two-way spot reports, should I spend (split) time on 17/15/10 or just concentrate on 80/40/20?

Don,

you still don't have Rx enabled for any time on 160m, 30m, or 12m.

I doubt dropping bands you don't expect to hear WSPR signals on in the hope of seeing other WSPR spots elsewhere will be a good strategy, better to be on the coordinate band in case there is propagation. 10m, 12m, 15m, 17m are regularly open here during the day in the Summer months with sporadic E propagation.

Don - KM4UDX

Bill, oh now I see what you mean. I am such a dope.  I thought just checking Rx only was enough...of course I have to tell it WHEN to Rx only.  Clearly I need more coffee. hahah.

I added night for 160, and day for 30/12 all with RX only.

Thanks much for helping me figure this out.

And thanks for the note that spending more time on 80/40/20 and less on the high bands might not be a good tradeoff. But I should test that at some point....hum....thanks again.