locked FT4 Output Audio

kk5aa_fred

Is there a particular reason that the output audio of FT4 has been suppressed?

My output on FT8 can go as high as 80 watts, if I crank it up. Same on JT65 or JT9. If I switch to JTDX, I get the same output capabilities. But, on FT4, the maximum I can generate is 40 watts unless I change the output on the interface. This tells me that the audio output from the software has been decreased for some reason and I would like to know why.

Fred - KK5AA

Michael Black

Are you perhaps transmitting at the edges of your bandpass in FT4?

Do you have Fake It or Rig Split turned on in the WSJT-X radio settings?  That solves that problem and allows you to actually transmit outside your bandpass by shifting the base frequency.

de Mike W9MDB

On Thursday, July 25, 2019, 10:34:43 AM CDT, kk5aa_fred via Groups.Io <poppafred@...> wrote:

Is there a particular reason that the output audio of FT4 has been suppressed?

My output on FT8 can go as high as 80 watts, if I crank it up. Same on JT65 or JT9. If I switch to JTDX, I get the same output capabilities. But, on FT4, the maximum I can generate is 40 watts unless I change the output on the interface. This tells me that the audio output from the software has been decreased for some reason and I would like to know why.

Fred - KK5AA
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

View/Reply Online (#3747): https://groups.io/g/WSJTX/message/3747
-=-=-
Moderated by Andy K3UK and Roger G4HZA
-=-=-
Group Owner: WSJTX+owner@groups.io
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Bill Somerville

On 25/07/2019 16:34, kk5aa_fred via Groups.Io wrote:
Is there a particular reason that the output audio of FT4 has been suppressed?

My output on FT8 can go as high as 80 watts, if I crank it up. Same on JT65 or JT9. If I switch to JTDX, I get the same output capabilities. But, on FT4, the maximum I can generate is 40 watts unless I change the output on the interface. This tells me that the audio output from the software has been decreased for some reason and I would like to know why.

Fred - KK5AA
Fred,

like all the other modes in WSJT-X FT4 generates full scale audio output. I will guess that you have installed the 64-bit Windows build of WSJT-X and have not bothered checking the output in modes other than FT4, you will find that they are all the same. What you are probably seeing is a difference between how the 64-bit Windows version interacts with the Windows audio mixer control. Once you understand this and adjust accordingly there will be no difference. See this message for details:

https://groups.io/g/WSJTX/message/3721

kk5aa_fred

Edited

Michael,
Neither.
Fred - KK5AA

kk5aa_fred

Bill,
Apparently, you did not read the post. I have checked the output in all available HF modes.
Fred - KK5AA

Bill Somerville

you said this:

"Is there a particular reason that the output audio of FT4 has been suppressed?

My output on FT8 can go as high as 80 watts, if I crank it up. Same on JT65 or JT9. If I switch to JTDX, I get the same output capabilities. But, on FT4, the maximum I can generate is 40 watts unless I change the output on the interface. This tells me that the audio output from the software has been decreased for some reason and I would like to know why.

Fred - KK5AA"

I see no reference to checking the output in all available HF modes?

Either way the output in FT4 mode is full scale. I suggest to read my linked message about the changed relationship with the Windows audio mixer control, once you understand that difference you can adjust, as I recommend, so that teh output will be as you expect.