locked Windows 10 -WSJT-X power slider help...

Jim Dawson

I installed version 2.1 and now when I transmit or tune I have to move the Pwr slider nearly all the way to the top to get the correct output. The levels control in the mixer no longer changes the power level, I've set it from 10% to 90% but it doesn't change the level to WSJT-X. What am I missing? I used to have the level set to 40% and the Pwr slider about 80% up. This is with WIndows 10.

Any help is appreciated,
Jim

Bill Somerville

On 23/07/2019 20:21, Jim Dawson wrote:
I installed version 2.1 and now when I transmit or tune I have to move the Pwr slider nearly all the way to the top to get the correct output. The levels control in the mixer no longer changes the power level, I've set it from 10% to 90% but it doesn't change the level to WSJT-X. What am I missing? I used to have the level set to 40% and the Pwr slider about 80% up. This is with WIndows 10. Any help is appreciated,
Jim

Hi Jim,

there's nothing wrong with having the "Pwr" slider all the way up, that should be your default starting place when adjusting the Tx audio levels.

The Windows mixer control behaves differently with the 64-bit version of WSJT-X, it is no longer controlled by the "Pwr" slider in WSJT-X. You must adjust it manually which should be a one time operation. The best way to adjust it is to click "Tune" in WSJT-X to get a transmission started, you can have the rig power at minimum while you do this adjustment. You need to have the "Sounds->Playback devices->'your-selected-output-device'->Properties->Levels" visible with the slider therein set to decibels (right-click and select decibels). Set the WSJT-X Windows Sound Mixer slider to maximum, that will also push the master level for that device to maximum and you will see a corresponding change to the device level slider you previously opened. If the device level slider shows 0dB then you are done, if it shows higher than 0dB (e.g. some devices can go to +14dB) then you *MUST* reduce the device level slider back to 0dB. This last step will automatically reduce the mixer WSJT-X slider and the mixer master level slider, and that is fine so leave them alone.

The last step above is absolutely critical as any gain applied in the digital domain will distort your Tx signal severely.

Note that none of the above is needed with the current 32-bit build of WSJT-X as in that case the "Pwr" slider adjusts the mixer control automatically and it remains within a safe range.

W7CD John <john@...>

Ø  The Windows mixer control behaves differently with the 64-bit version of WSJT-X, it is no longer controlled by the "Pwr" slider in WSJT-X. You must adjust it manually which should be a one time operation. The best way to adjust it is to click "Tune" in WSJT-X to get a transmission started, you can have the rig power at minimum while you do this adjustment. You need to have the "Sounds->Playback devices->'your-selected-output-device'->Properties->Levels" visible with the slider therein set to decibels (right-click and select decibels). Set the WSJT-X Windows Sound Mixer slider to maximum, that will also push the master level for that device to maximum and you will see a corresponding change to the device level slider you previously opened. If the device level slider shows 0dB then you are done, if it shows higher than 0dB (e.g. some devices can go to +14dB) then you *MUST* reduce the device level slider back to 0dB. This last step will automatically reduce the mixer WSJT-X slider and the mixer master level slider, and that is fine so leave them alone.

Hi Bill.

I’ve followed this procedure carefully here and compared the result between both the 32 and 64 bit versions on my Win10Pro PC.  BTW, the Level on my output device (Flex DAX Audio Tx <not the IQ one>) will not exceed 0dB.

On a 100W-max Flex, the 64bit version cannot be made to exceed 28W when you hit Tune.  For the 32bit version, 75W out.  Both of these are into a dummy load.

Not an issue for me, but an interesting benchmark.  64bit operation is worth the power trade-off when the band’s loaded on weekends and the obviously speedier decoding of the 2nd and 3rd pass are worth it.  If there’s an ATNO out there that I can’t hit with those power levels during this Solar Minimus, there’s always the “foot warmer” available.

BTW, I do choose to use the Kenwood TS-2000 to define the Rig, not the FlexRadio 6xxx.  When the PC gets really busy (WSJT-X, N1MM+, JTAlertX, Log4OM, Log4OM Communicator, PSTRotatorAz, SmartSDR, SmartSDR CAT, Smart DAX, with OS profile management in a Windows NT-domain), I’ve experienced some latency issues with the latter control.  When I tried SO2R with 2 instances of WSJT-X 2.0.1 GA during RTTY RU last January, I almost brought this decade-old  Intel i5 3GHz PC to its knees.  I’m hesitant to push it that hard again.  J

Thanks for handling and addressing all these issues for the world’s operators!

73 John W7CD

Bill Somerville

On 23/07/2019 21:49, W7CD John wrote:

[...]

Hi John,

it's good that the DAX devices will not add digital gain. VAC can but also can be disabled in that case.

You should get exactly the same power output between the 32-bit and 64-bit versions of WSJT-X if the Windows mixer control for WSJT-X on the DAX Tx speaker device is set to maximum (this is based on your assurance that the DAX input devices have no digital gain). You are missing something when carrying out the procedure above is you are not. Once the one off procedure above has been executed the WSJT-X "Pwr" slider should behave the same for either version although you may find the granularity of steps slightly different and there may be some small discontinuities as you slide the "Pwr" control up and down with the 64-bit.

Herb Blue - WB8ASI

Thanks Bill,  I've just spent the last few days changing from a Windows 7 32-bit PC to one that's WIndows 10 64-bit including upgrading to WSJT-X v2.1.0 and JTAlert 2.13.10, while bringing along my LOG4OM.  Whew, couldn't have made it without all I've learned here on-line from everyone's experiences.  Now ;you're procedure on volume control is the finishing touch.  I've got the device and WSJT-X set at 0db (didn't even know about volume mixer, but I found it).  Now I can hardly keep the level down to keep from seeing ALC on the meter even with the PWR slider at the bottom.   I liked it better with 32-bit where I could tweak the PWR slider mid-range to just see the meter movement on ALC.  Am I understanding your procedure correctly???   Thanks and 73, Herb. WB8ASI

Michael Black

Go to menu 070 and turn it down.  You can likely crank the Pwr slider all the way up with menu 070 being the adjustment you need to make.

de Mike W9MDB

On Tuesday, July 23, 2019, 08:20:42 PM CDT, Herb Blue <WB8ASI@...> wrote:

Thanks Bill,  I've just spent the last few days changing from a Windows 7 32-bit PC to one that's WIndows 10 64-bit including upgrading to WSJT-X v2.1.0 and JTAlert 2.13.10, while bringing along my LOG4OM.  Whew, couldn't have made it without all I've learned here on-line from everyone's experiences.  Now ;you're procedure on volume control is the finishing touch.  I've got the device and WSJT-X set at 0db (didn't even know about volume mixer, but I found it).  Now I can hardly keep the level down to keep from seeing ALC on the meter even with the PWR slider at the bottom.   I liked it better with 32-bit where I could tweak the PWR slider mid-range to just see the meter movement on ALC.  Am I understanding your procedure correctly???   Thanks and 73, Herb. WB8ASI
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

View/Reply Online (#3726): https://groups.io/g/WSJTX/message/3726

-=-=-
Moderated by Andy K3UK and Roger G4HZA
-=-=-
Group Owner: WSJTX+owner@groups.io
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Herb Blue - WB8ASI

Thanks Detective Mike........I didn't mention I'm running a FTdx5000, but menu 070 doesn't help even set to zero.  I have audio running from computer via cable into rig via rear MIC jack, and from rig rear AV out jack to computer mic jack.  (never figured out how to make USB audio CODEC to work on this rig).  Has worked good for me a long time.  Now difficult figuring out how to use PWR slider with 64-bit install.  Seems way off normal, but I'm making QSO's.  Any suggestions are most welcome, and others reading this will also benefit.  That's how I've learned how to even get started with this computer stuff.  I'll look at my menu choices if there is another setting that needs changing.  73 and thanks again, Herb WB8ASI

On July 23, 2019 at 11:34 PM "Michael Black via Groups.Io" <mdblack98@...> wrote:

[...]

View/Reply Online (#3729): https://groups.io/g/WSJTX/message/3729
-=-=-
Moderated by Andy K3UK and Roger G4HZA
-=-=-
Group Owner: WSJTX+owner@groups.io
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Michael Black

In which case you probably want the MIC level adjustment  menu 079

I figure you were using the USB.

de Mike W9MDB

On Tuesday, July 23, 2019, 10:51:01 PM CDT, Herb Blue <WB8ASI@...> wrote:

[...]

View/Reply Online (#3730): https://groups.io/g/WSJTX/message/3730

-=-=-
Moderated by Andy K3UK and Roger G4HZA
-=-=-
Group Owner: WSJTX+owner@groups.io
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Herb Blue - WB8ASI

set menu 079 to zero, and still blasting ALC with PWR slider at bottom.  You got me on the right track tho.  I can crank down on the sound card, but the instructions said 0db which is the max.  I would use USB if you have any ideas on how to make it work.  Got the CP210x Windows Driver installed, and CAT works just fine.   Instructions said that WIndows generic USB audio CODEC would install automagically, but a no go.  I'm OK with my audio cable work- around, but always wondered why my USB connection never activated.  Have had instant success with USB connection with Kenwood 590SG.   Just want to confirm that the goal is to have no ALC????   I can make it right with various adjustments, but instructions seem so easy, and it's not that clean.  Again, thanks for your help. 73, Herb

On July 23, 2019 at 11:55 PM "Michael Black via Groups.Io" <mdblack98@...> wrote:

[...]

View/Reply Online (#3731): https://groups.io/g/WSJTX/message/3731
-=-=-
Moderated by Andy K3UK and Roger G4HZA
-=-=-
Group Owner: WSJTX+owner@groups.io
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Michael Black

For the USB audio did you set menu 103 to DATA?

Mike

On Tuesday, July 23, 2019, 11:23:30 PM CDT, Herb Blue <WB8ASI@...> wrote:

[...]

View/Reply Online (#3732): https://groups.io/g/WSJTX/message/3732

-=-=-
Moderated by Andy K3UK and Roger G4HZA
-=-=-
Group Owner: WSJTX+owner@groups.io
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Michael Black

Also...if you're hooking up a speaker output to a MIC input that's a speaker level signal into a mic level input.  You're over driving the heck out of it and that's a very common source of harmonics and why your ALC is going nuts.

You can turn down the playback level in Windows a LOT.

[...]

Thanks Mike.......will adjust.   Knew it was way off, but was trying to follow the instructions advice, and wondered what I was missing.

On July 24, 2019 at 12:33 AM "Michael Black via Groups.Io" <mdblack98@...> wrote:

[...]

View/Reply Online (#3734): https://groups.io/g/WSJTX/message/3734
-=-=-
Moderated by Andy K3UK and Roger G4HZA
-=-=-
Group Owner: WSJTX+owner@groups.io
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Herb Blue - WB8ASI

No, never saw that in any U-tube instructions or anywhere mentioned on Yaesu group.  But thanks, and I'll give it a try.  You have been most helpful in steering me in the right directions.  Thanks again, Herb

On July 24, 2019 at 12:28 AM "Michael Black via Groups.Io" <mdblack98@...> wrote:

[...]

View/Reply Online (#3733): https://groups.io/g/WSJTX/message/3733
-=-=-
Moderated by Andy K3UK and Roger G4HZA
-=-=-
Group Owner: WSJTX+owner@groups.io
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Jim Dawson

Thanks,Bill. I'll give it a try.
73 de Jim - K9dd

Dave_G0WBX

If you have no choice but to hook a "Speaker" output to a "Mic" input,
you NEED to build a simple resistive attenuator, say 10k in series with
the speaker output*, and 100r across the mic input.  (Just ballpark
values based on what I've done in the past.

(* Some, speaker outputs, need a low resistance to bias correctly, so
put some 47 ohms across the speaker output too.)

If you can't get enough level, lower the value of the 10k, if it's still
too hot, increase the value.

With care, such things can be built into the interconnecting lead, but
label it so you know what it is for in the future.  (Don't ask!)

73.

Dave G0WBX.

--
Created on and sent from a Unix like PC running and using free and open source software: