locked [WSJTXst] Satellite latency #NewUser


Kenneth Holcombe
 

Hey Bill,
If I have the latest Windows 10 update, do I still need to install a program to keep the time accurate? I bought a TS-480 and use HRD DeLuxe, so goodbye Mac computer.

On Dec 18, 2018, at 11:53 AM, Bill Somerville <g4wjs@classdesign.com> wrote:

On 18/12/2018 17:36, BOBBY E Chandler wrote:
Is anyone using Satellite internet with WSJTX and does the latency affect the timing sync with Meinberg etc?
Hi Bobby,

satellite Internet links often have very different transit times for up and downlinks, this characteristic will impact the accuracy of NTP time sync as NTP make the assumption that it can half the round-trip transit time to get the one-way transit time. If you are on the latest Windows 10 update there are some tools to measure this.

73
Bill
G4WJS.




Bill Somerville
 

On 18/12/2018 18:03, Kenneth Holcombe via Groups.Io wrote:
If I have the latest Windows 10 update, do I still need to install a program to keep the time accurate? I bought a TS-480 and use HRD DeLuxe, so goodbye Mac computer.
Hi OM,

personally I would still recommend installing the Meinberg NTP Client package. There does appear to be a new issue with that as I have heard reports that recent Windows 10 Updates have disabled third party time sync services and re-enabled the Windows Internet TIme Sync Service. This would be if the default configuration was suitable but it is not! Start here for setting u the WIndows NTP Time Service:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/networking/windows-time-service/configuring-systems-for-high-accuracy?tabs=MinPollInterval

It is not trivial which is why I still recommend Meinberg which much simpler to set up.


Kenneth Holcombe
 

Thanks, Bill.
Ken W1KE

On Dec 18, 2018, at 12:12 PM, Bill Somerville <g4wjs@classdesign.com> wrote:

On 18/12/2018 18:03, Kenneth Holcombe via Groups.Io wrote:
If I have the latest Windows 10 update, do I still need to install a program to keep the time accurate? I bought a TS-480 and use HRD DeLuxe, so goodbye Mac computer.
Hi OM,

personally I would still recommend installing the Meinberg NTP Client package. There does appear to be a new issue with that as I have heard reports that recent Windows 10 Updates have disabled third party time sync services and re-enabled the Windows Internet TIme Sync Service. This would be if the default configuration was suitable but it is not! Start here for setting u the WIndows NTP Time Service:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/networking/windows-time-service/configuring-systems-for-high-accuracy?tabs=MinPollInterval

It is not trivial which is why I still recommend Meinberg which much simpler to set up.




Kenneth Holcombe
 

This is the time.is report on Windows:

Your time is exact!

The difference from Time.is was -0.009 seconds (±0.017 seconds).

Here is the same thing from my MacBook Pro:

Your time is exact!

The difference from Time.is was +0.002 seconds (±0.016 seconds).
 
I think the Windows crew got tired of being laughed at the Apple and Linux hams. I believe the Windows time problem has been solved. When my sound card gets here, I’m going to try running WSJT-X on my Kenwood TS-480 without a Windows time patch.
Ken
W1KE

Dec 18, 2018, at 1:22 PM, Kenneth Holcombe via Groups.Io <holcombek@...> wrote:I 

Thanks, Bill.
Ken W1KE
On Dec 18, 2018, at 12:12 PM, Bill Somerville <g4wjs@...> wrote:

On 18/12/2018 18:03, Kenneth Holcombe via Groups.Io wrote:
If I have the latest Windows 10 update, do I still need to install a program to keep the time accurate? I bought a TS-480 and use HRD DeLuxe, so goodbye Mac computer.

Hi OM,

personally I would still recommend installing the Meinberg NTP Client package. There does appear to be a new issue with that as I have heard reports that recent Windows 10 Updates have disabled third party time sync services and re-enabled the Windows Internet TIme Sync Service. This would be if the default configuration was suitable but it is not! Start here for setting u the WIndows NTP Time Service:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/networking/windows-time-service/configuring-systems-for-high-accuracy?tabs=MinPollInterval

It is not trivial which is why I still recommend Meinberg which much simpler to set up.