locked Satellite latency #NewUser

BOBBY E Chandler <bobbye@...>

Is anyone using Satellite internet with WSJTX and does the latency affect the timing sync with Meinberg etc?

Bobby/N4AU

Bill Somerville

On 18/12/2018 17:36, BOBBY E Chandler wrote:
Is anyone using Satellite internet with WSJTX and does the latency affect the timing sync with Meinberg etc?
Hi Bobby,

satellite Internet links often have very different transit times for up and downlinks, this characteristic will impact the accuracy of NTP time sync as NTP make the assumption that it can half the round-trip transit time to get the one-way transit time. If you are on the latest Windows 10 update there are some tools to measure this.

BOBBY E Chandler <bobbye@...>

Thank you Bill. When do you sleep? HI!
Bobby/N4AU

bobbye@bellsouth.net
n4au@arrl.net

Jim - N4ST

Hi Bobby,

I used Dimension 4 and Meinberg for years on satellite Internet and it worked fine 99% of the time. Sometimes there was a glitch, but it seemed more related to a server not responding (I wasn't using the pool). I finally broke down and started using a $20 GPS hockey-puck which works great in my basement shack keeping me within a few milliseconds.

___________
73,
Jim - N4ST

Is anyone using Satellite internet with WSJTX and does the latency affect the timing sync with Meinberg etc?

Bobby/N4AU

Sidney Frissell

Bobby:
I have bern using WSJT-X with Hughesnet satellite internet for about 5 years.(cw, JT-65, JT-9, and now almost exclusively FT-8. I have never had a problem i could attribute to satellite internet.
it seems to work jest fine.

’Sid, NZ7M

On Dec 18, 2018, at 10:36 AM, BOBBY E Chandler <bobbye@bellsouth.net> wrote:

Is anyone using Satellite internet with WSJTX and does the latency affect the timing sync with Meinberg etc?

Bobby/N4AU

Woody

Hi Bobby,
Can't address your question directly, but (sadly) I have hughesnet.   Latency is not the only issue.  While download speeds are reported by them (and testmy.net) to be in the 10 to 40 meg range, the actual performance, to put it bluntly, sucks.  Even with these reported speeds, it can take 30 seconds to 2 minutes to open a web page.  I often even have trouble using my online QRZ logbook.  Logging rapid fire QSOs is nearly impossible.  I have complained to phone support and on the HN forum.  Nothing but lame excuses citing latency.  I don't think latency is the only thing causing two minute page loads.  Firefox reports "waiting" for things like a simple handshake confirmation or "waiting" for aws (Amazon Web Services) that hold up progress for over a minute at times.  The issue is not consistent - comes and goes.
Woody  -  KZ4AK

On 12/18/2018 17:36, BOBBY E Chandler wrote:
Is anyone using Satellite internet with WSJTX and does the latency affect the timing sync with Meinberg etc?

Bobby/N4AU

Grant Saviers

Not much can be done about the latency of earth-satellite-earth. However, windows with its assorted crapware and any browser, trackers, updates, blah blah are generating a huge number of messages, many of which are blocking progress until answered. A real problem on expensive links like sat phones. Several tens of megabytes of trash exchanged just by opening a browser. Kill every process and app you can, and block everything you can. Stop everything to do with updates. Keep a minimal as possible software installed PC for ham work with as few apps open as possible. Of course anybody else on the sat modem is generating messages. Cell phones are notorious consumers of bandwidth and megabytes if 802.11 connected. I've experienced all of these problems.

IT folks with network sniffers tell me it is amazing to see who is doing what on your PC connection.

Grant KZ1W