2.0.0 GA Won't Start #install


Ralph
 

I am running Windows 10 Pro, 64 bit, x64 based.

When I installed 2.0.0 GA and tried to run the program, a wait cursor appeared for about a second or two and disappeared, but the program never displayed anything. I confirmed that the process started for a short while and then terminated by monitoring the Task Manager. Reinstalling 1.9.1 got things working again, but whenever I install 2.0.0 GA, this situation happens.

I uninstalled WSJT-X and cleared out the AppData/Local/WSJT-X folder. Then I installed 2.0.0 GA again. When I run the program, three files are created: 1) db.sqlite, 0 bytes, 2) WSJT-X.ini with a single entry CurrentName=default under the MultiSettings section, and a "save" folder with an empty "samples" folder under it. Nothing in the Windows Event Viewer and I don't know where the WSJT-X error logs are stored.

Has anyone seen this situation with 2.0.0? I'm at a loss and don't know where to go next. With the big switch occurring soon, I need a fix or I'm out of the FT-8 game until I get a solution.

73

--
Ralph - WB9ICF


Bill Somerville
 

On 17/12/2018 06:38, Ralph wrote:
Nothing in the Windows Event Viewer
Hi Ralph,

there should be something there in the Applications section.


Ed Durrant
 

Hi Ralph,
 Given that others aren't seeing this problem, I would start to suspect your Windows. Check there are no errors shown in device manager - if there are fix them. If there aren't then while in device manager de-install the drivers that are there for whatever interface(s) you are using to your rig. Disconnect all cables to the rig, shut-down completely the PC (not just hibernate which is what W10 does when it says shut-down by default) - if you don't want to change this behaviour do a restart (which IS a full shut-down and restart) and then re-install the drivers for your interface and shut-down again. Attach the cables to the PC turn the interface and/or rig on, restart the PC and let Windows re-install the drivers at start-up. (the install with disconnected cables only puts the files ready for install, windows takes these when it see the hardware and then installs them).

Hopefully this might fix your problem.

73  Ed DD5LP.

On 17/12/2018 07:38, Ralph wrote:
I am running Windows 10 Pro, 64 bit, x64 based.

When I installed 2.0.0 GA and tried to run the program, a wait cursor appeared for about a second or two and disappeared, but the program never displayed anything. I confirmed that the process started for a short while and then terminated by monitoring the Task Manager. Reinstalling 1.9.1 got things working again, but whenever I install 2.0.0 GA, this situation happens.

I uninstalled WSJT-X and cleared out the AppData/Local/WSJT-X folder. Then I installed 2.0.0 GA again. When I run the program, three files are created: 1) db.sqlite, 0 bytes, 2) WSJT-X.ini with a single entry CurrentName=default under the MultiSettings section, and a "save" folder with an empty "samples" folder under it. Nothing in the Windows Event Viewer and I don't know where the WSJT-X error logs are stored.

Has anyone seen this situation with 2.0.0? I'm at a loss and don't know where to go next. With the big switch occurring soon, I need a fix or I'm out of the FT-8 game until I get a solution.

73

--
Ralph - WB9ICF



Ralph
 


--
Ralph - WB9ICF


Ralph
 

Well, I guess my last reply was concise.  :)  Thanks for your suggestions for things to try.

@Bill, there are no events recorded when I launch 2.0.0 GA. I checked the Windows->Applications events most of the Application and Services event (mostly Windows related). I double-click WSJT-X and the wait cursor comes on briefly (about a second) and goes away (the application stops running).

@Ed, Device Manager shows no errors and my SCU-17 drivers are fine. Went through the process you suggested, just be be sure. No joy, but 1.9.1 continues to work. I have installed into the default location C:\WSJT, which puts the actual files in :\WSJT\WSJT-X, which is where my 1.9.1 files were installed.

A few months back, I installed 2.0.0 RC1 and the program launched and worked. I needed to revert to 1.9.1 in order to work a dxepedition  (fox/hound didn't seem to be working for me with 2.0.0 RC1, but was fine with 1.9.1).  Some time later, I installed 2.0.0 RC2 and it wouldn't launch (as best as I can remember), so it was back to 1.9.1.  Because of limited time, I never installed RC 3.

Seeing as 1.9.1 continues to work and 2.0.0 RC 1 did work, I suspect something about later versions that is causing my problem. The lack of any logging is problematic and I may have to wait when I have more time to pull the source and see what is happening. My guess is something with SQLite (because of the zero length db.sqllite file and that file was not there with 1.9.1). Fortunately, it doesn't appear to get too far into the startup and that may make it easier to trace.

Was hoping that others may have seen this, but no luck.

73

--
Ralph - WB9ICF