Can't install on latest Debian Stable? #install

I am confused on why the developers are using testing and unstable branches to develop WSJTX. I want to be able to use WSJTX with out moving into other branches of Debian,

Any suggestions other then updating my system to the unstable or testing branch?

I am running Debian 9u5

Bill Somerville

On 30/10/2018 02:41, Bill Gaylord wrote:
I am confused on why the developers are using testing and unstable branches to develop WSJTX. I want to be able to use WSJTX with out moving into other branches of Debian,

Any suggestions other then updating my system to the unstable or testing branch?

I am running Debian 9u5
Hi Bill,

we build binary packages for a handful of commonly used Linux distributions, even those are only intended as stop gap until the package maintainers for the various distributions catch up and provide packaging scripts for whatever versions of distributions they choose to support.

The Linux distributions we provide packages at release time are Fedora, Ubuntu, and Raspbian. The currently supported distributions that we provide binary packages for are 28, 18.04, and Stretch respectively, none of these are unstable, they are either the latest LTS version or the latest stable release.

You are complaining to the wrong people, you must find the package maintainer for your distribution and ask them where the packages are for the version you prefer.

I download the file from the home page named Debian, Ubuntu, ... (64-bit): under the 2.0.0-rc3 section.

Debian hasn't had a package of wsjtx in the package system since the 1.1 version of it.

If you don't support Debian with the precompiled versions can you please remove it from saying it does on the site, https://physics.princeton.edu/pulsar/k1jt/wsjtx.html and also http://www.physics.princeton.edu/pulsar/K1JT/wsjtx-doc/wsjtx-main-2.0.0-rc3.html#INSTALL_LINUX

Bill Somerville

On 31/10/2018 01:02, Bill Gaylord wrote:
Debian hasn't had a package of wsjtx in the package system since the 1.1 version of it.

Bill,

then I suggest you either use that version, build from source, switch to another distribution that has a package maintainer and therefore recent versions of WSJT-X, or become the package maintainer for WSJT-X in the Debian Linux distribution yourself.

The project files area makes it clear what binary packages we provide: https://sourceforge.net/projects/wsjt/files/wsjtx-1.9.1/

or here for the latest beta release candidate: https://sourceforge.net/projects/wsjt/files/wsjtx-2.0.0-rc3/

So both the projects main site and docs are not the correct place to be looking for information? I have to look at on sourceforge?

On Oct 30, 2018, at 8:35 PM, Bill Somerville <g4wjs@...> wrote:

On 31/10/2018 01:02, Bill Gaylord wrote:
Debian hasn't had a package of wsjtx in the package system since the 1.1 version of it.

Bill,

then I suggest you either use that version, build from source, switch to another distribution that has a package maintainer and therefore recent versions of WSJT-X, or become the package maintainer for WSJT-X in the Debian Linux distribution yourself.

The project files area makes it clear what binary packages we provide: https://sourceforge.net/projects/wsjt/files/wsjtx-1.9.1/

or here for the latest beta release candidate: https://sourceforge.net/projects/wsjt/files/wsjtx-2.0.0-rc3/

Dave_G0WBX

Hi.

I see from the README.txt file, that the Windows package is marked thus:-

"Microsoft Windows installer for version XP and later"

XP!  Still?

But, recent & still supported (by their vendors) LTS versions of Linux, that are in truth newer than Windows XP, are not supported...

I wouldn’t expect the Release Candidates for newer versions to do that, but for the "production" version (1.9.1) I and (I know others are confused and saddened) by the lack of support for earlier LTS versions of Linux, but we're out of the decision making loop of course.

For many, it is not plain and easy to switch to a later distro'.  (Not helped by the default install methods of many popular Linux's, resulting in the virtual impossibility of an OS major version jump, without loosing a lot of ones accrued tools and files, at least, not without "a lot" of prior work.)

Even then it's not guaranteed that everything will work, even after re-building stuff from source.  (Dependency issues etc.)  I know, I've tried in the past, and will have to again soon.

Building the newer versions from source also is fraught, by dependancies that will not live on older (still in support!) LTS versions.  QT5 for example, will not install or build on Ubuntu 14.04 and derivatives, an extreme case!  That does go out of support very soon (end of this year I believe) but IS currently very much IN Support.

~ ~ ~

This time when I make the jump, the "home" directory will be in a separate partition to the one the OS lives in.

On this machine, I'll be jumping from Mint 17.2 to 19.x  And perhaps from 32 bit, to 64 (with 32 bit support.)  Any advice re making a success of that task, most welcome!  (Off list of course.)

I already have an experimental Mint 19(64 bit) system that will end up as the main shack computer, but that again used the default full disk install method, as after several tries, I just could not get it to successfully install, creating a dedicated partition for the "home" directory structure.  I know that can be done later, but it should be easier to do from the outset.

But I digress.

Keep up the work perfecting V2.x  I'll be ready for it one day.

73.

Dave G0WBX.

Re: Can't install on latest Debian Stable?
From: Bill Somerville
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2018 18:36:02 PDT

On 31/10/2018 01:02, Bill Gaylord wrote:
Debian hasn't had a package of wsjtx in the package system since the 1.1 version of it.

Bill,

then I suggest you either use that version, build from source, switch to another distribution that has a package maintainer and therefore recent versions of WSJT-X, or become the package maintainer for WSJT-X in the Debian Linux distribution yourself.

The project files area makes it clear what binary packages we provide: https://sourceforge.net/projects/wsjt/files/wsjtx-1.9.1/

or here for the latest beta release candidate: https://sourceforge.net/projects/wsjt/files/wsjtx-2.0.0-rc3/

Created on and sent from a Unix like PC running and using free and open source software.
::

Bill Somerville

Bill,

the project web site mentions Debian but no version, that is not incorrect.

On 31/10/2018 01:58, Bill Gaylord wrote:
[...]

comments in line below.

On 31/10/2018 10:01, Dave_G0WBX via Groups.Io wrote:

Hi.

I see from the README.txt file, that the Windows package is marked thus:-

"Microsoft Windows installer for version XP and later"

XP!  Still?

But, recent & still supported (by their vendors) LTS versions of Linux, that are in truth newer than Windows XP, are not supported...
We continue to support Windows XP for now because we can with a single binary installer that works for XP through to the latest WIndows 10 update. This is not possible with Linux distributions.

I wouldn’t expect the Release Candidates for newer versions to do that, but for the "production" version (1.9.1) I and (I know others are confused and saddened) by the lack of support for earlier LTS versions of Linux, but we're out of the decision making loop of course.

For many, it is not plain and easy to switch to a later distro'.  (Not helped by the default install methods of many popular Linux's, resulting in the virtual impossibility of an OS major version jump, without loosing a lot of ones accrued tools and files, at least, not without "a lot" of prior work.)
You seem to have a problem with what the WSJT-X developers are providing. This seems to be based on a misunderstanding of how open source software works. You have the option to build from source, have you tried that? It's not that hard as we provide a comprehensive build script and a special source package for non-Windows systems. All you have to do is install the require prerequisite development packages and then execute a couple of commands from a terminal window.

Please stop complaining about the WSJT-X developers not providing a binary package for your chosen Linux distribution and version, it's not going to happen as we have better things to do that producing packages for each and every one of the hundreds of Linux distributions and versions. That is what package maintainers do.

So being unable to use latest Ubuntu/Debian and others is the package maintainers fault. Yet it's not possible to build from source either with out updating to a version that has the required libraries. And it's not trivial to update my system to another distro or to an unstable branch because of what it is being used for.

Unless I am totally miss understanding how dependencies work in Linux. As if it supported earlier versions of the library there would currently be no problems as it would happily use them if compiled to be able to use them.

On 31/10/2018 11:30, Bill Gaylord wrote:
Yet it's not possible to build from source either with out updating to a version that has the required libraries.
Bill,

this is not correct. You can build from source on any Linux version that has the basic package requirements, not not specific versions of packages. For WSJT-X that probably means you must be on a distribution that packages some v5 of Qt, ancient distribution versions that are still on Qt v4 will not work.

In out latest sources (v2.0.0 RC3) we have shifted our basic requirement to at least Qt v5.5, before that the requirement was >= v5.2 I believe. The Qt version in Debian Stretch 9.5 stable is Qt 5.7.1 so you should no issues building from source, *have you even tried?* Note that we build for ARM Linux on Raspbian Stretch which is equivalent to Debian 9.5.

I myself haven't tried but the person you responded to before did.

I haven't tried because on Debian stretch multiple libraries are 1 or more Major releases behind what Wstjx require. Which means either it won't work or someone is putting high numbers then needed in the libraries.

On 31/10/2018 11:53, Bill Gaylord wrote:
I myself haven't tried but the person you responded to before did.

I haven't tried because on Debian stretch multiple libraries are 1 or more Major releases behind what Wstjx require. Which means either it won't work or someone is putting high numbers then needed in the libraries.
Bill,

you are clearly not reading what I am saying, this is my last comment on this.

The package version numbers quoted are probably those required to install a binary DEB or RPM package, building from source only requires that some reasonably recent version of the required package is installed usually accompanied by the related development packages. I have told you what the real requirements are, any distribution that has a Qt version
= 5.2 should be able to build WSJT-X v1.9.1 from sources ans any
system that has a Qt version >= 5.5 should be able to build WSJT-X v2.0.0 RC3 from sources.

You can build from source on Debian Stretch, I do it for every release when I build the ARM platform Raspbian DEB package that we provide at release time.

I am happy to help you complete building WSJT-X from sources for you Linux distribution but will not comment further on your insistence that it is not possible.

I will try to install from source today.

Now that I am looking at the INSTALL folder in the source I see that oldly the binary is asking for way higher versions then actually required. I will be working thru the INSTALL file and see if I get any problems.

On a side note I wonder if making an AppImage might be worth while. https://appimage.org/

Dave_G0WBX

Hi Again.

The single show-stopper for users of older but in-support OS's, is that QT5 will not build or run on them.  Period.  (QT5's pages state I think, 16.04 LTS or later.)

If there is a way to build it all on a Ubuntu 14.04 LTS based system (Mint 17.2) then it needs fully documenting.  But that wont be needed in a few weeks, as I believe 14.04 LTS fall's off Canonical's support radar at the end of this year.  (At least, that is what I've picked up from elsewhere.)

I'll then be jumping to Mint 19.x LTS (whatever is current at that time) and that'll be my main OS for it's support lifetime.

I don't have the physical room for multiple computers each tailored to specific needs.

At the moment I have MSHV on the 17.2 system that works, and WSJT-x 1.9.1 on a 18.1 system that also works (other than the issue when using "non default" sound interfaces) and that it seems is a known QT5 "wrinkle".

73.

Dave G0WBX.

--
Created on and sent from a Unix like PC running and using free and open source software:

Brian

Hi Bill,

Please see my post in the wsjtx yahoo group:

It may help you.  Bill (G4WJS) also responded to that thread with some simplifications.  But as the script is written, it will work.

regards,
Brian
VE3IBW

On Wed, Oct 31, 2018 at 8:14 AM Bill Gaylord <chibill110@...> wrote:
I will try to install from source today.

Now that I am looking at the INSTALL folder in the source I see that oldly the binary is asking for way higher versions then actually required. I will be working thru the INSTALL file and see if I get any problems.

On a side note I wonder if making an AppImage might be worth while. https://appimage.org/

I can't seem to use the script you made because Debian strech does not have  gfortran-5 in apt. :(

Bill Somerville

On 02/11/2018 19:20, Bill Gaylord wrote:
I can't seem to use the script you made because Debian strech does not have  gfortran-5 in apt. :(

Hi Bill,

for the compilers you need install these packages:

build-essential gfortran

That will get you suitable C, C++ and gfortran compilers. The gfortran will be version 6 but don't worry about that, it will be installed as gfortran and CMake will find that just fine, no need to mess around with version specific names for it. You can check the version after package install with:

gcc -V
g++ -V
gfortran -V

gcc -v outputs gcc version 6.3.0 20170516 (Debian 6.3.0-18+deb9u1)
all output the same.

Also where should I run this script from? Like should it be located when I have the source code?

Bill Somerville

On 02/11/2018 19:32, Bill Gaylord wrote:
gcc -v outputs gcc version 6.3.0 20170516 (Debian 6.3.0-18+deb9u1)
all output the same.

Also where should I run this script from? Like should it be located when I have the source code?
Hi Bill,

I don't really understand the need for a batch script, you need to do a one off exercise to install the required packages to build WSJT-X (and Hamlib) then configure your WSJT-X build area. Once that is done you don't need to repeat it, just run the build command line to (re)build the application from the sources you have downloaded. If you download updated sources all you need to do is put them in the same place as the originals were installed and run the build command again, a single command.

Brian

That's ok.  Which version does it have? v6?  I did a quick google search and it (https://packages.debian.org/stretch/gfortran) says gfortran-6  Change these lines in the script:
sudo apt-get -y install git cmake build-essential subversion asciidoc gfortran-6 ...
export FC=gfortran-6

I found that I needed to export the FC env variable.  That is why I am being specific about which gfortran version.  If I didn't have to export the env variable, then likely I would be able to do what Bill (G4WJS) indicated.  This env variable may be a left over from a couple of years ago when I built wsjtx on the Raspberry Pi (Raspbian, a debian-based Linux distribution) before the pre-built deb images showed up.

The new script would be:
#!/bin/sh
# install wsjtx v2.0-rc3
# VE3IBW 10-26-2018
# Derived from a script from indyham.com used to build FLDigi
#
# Please read these short notes.  I tested this on Ubuntu 16.04.
#
# Note: not present in the wsjtx INSTALL guide is the need for the following
# libs to support the imbedded hamlib build:
#      libtool texinfo asciidoctor
# Note: not present in the wsjtx INSTALL guide is the need for the following
# libs to support the wsjtx build:
#      libudev-dev
#
# I added a few of the sound dev libs just in case for port and pulse audio.
#
# Make sure the file you put this script into is executable.
# For example, if you copy and paste this script into a new file called
# ubuntu-build-install-wsjtx.sh, and you store it in your home directory (i.e., ~/),
# then execute the following command:
# chmod +x ~/ubuntu-build-install-wsjtx.sh
#
# Download and unpack the tgz file (e.g., wsjtx-2.0.0-rc3.tgz).
# I didn't add a parameter to this script file to take the location of the
# unpacked directory from the previous step.  I was being lazy.
# On Ubuntu, browser downloads are usually placed in ~/Downloads.
# I just unpack the tgz file within ~/Downloads.
# Then I edit this script file and change the name of the directory at the
# ** Configure Step ** below to that of the unpacked
# directory (e.g., ~/Downloads/wsjtx-2.0.0-rc3).
#
# Start a terminal window (ctrl-alt-t) and type: ./ubuntu-build-install-wsjtx.sh
# assuming you stored this script in your home directory (~/).
#
# On a quad core 2Ghz+ with 8GB of Ram, the build took about 10 minutes.

sudo apt-get -y update
sudo apt-get -y upgrade
sudo apt-get -y install git cmake build-essential subversion asciidoc gfortran-6 qtbase5-dev qtmultimedia5-dev libqt5multimedia5-plugins libqt5serialport5-dev libfftw3-dev libusb-dev libudev-dev libasound2-dev alsa-utils portaudio19-dev libpulse-dev libportaudiocpp0 libtool texinfo asciidoctor ||
{ echo 'apt-get install failed'; exit 1; }

mkdir -p ~/build/wsjtx && cd ~/build/wsjtx ||
{ echo 'Cannot create build dir'; exit 1; }

export FC=gfortran-6

# ** Configure Step **
cmake ~/Downloads/wsjtx-2.0.0-rc3 ||
  { echo 'Cannot configure WSJTX'; exit 1; }

cmake --build . ||
  { echo 'Cannot build WSJTX'; exit 1; }

sudo cmake --build . --target install ||
  { echo 'Cannot install WSJTX'; exit 1; }

echo "[Desktop Entry]
Version=2.0.rc3
Name=wsjtx
Comment=Amateur Radio Weak Signal Operating
Exec=wsjtx
Icon=wsjtx_icon
Terminal=false
X-MultipleArgs=false
Type=Application
Categories=Audio;HamRadio;
StartupNotify=true" > ~/.local/share/applications/wsjtx.desktop ||
   { echo 'Cannot setup wsjtx icon'; exit 1;}
# end of script

Note, I have not made Bill's suggested simplification changes yet.  Mostly because I haven't had time to test them before distribution an updated script.

regards,
Brian
VE3IBW