locked requesting that the new WSPR/APRS mode be added to WSJTX #NewUser


Jim
 

I recently read this article about merging the capabilities of WSPR & APRS. It sounds like a great idea and would be a feature I think many hams would like to see added to WSJTX.

http://aprs.org/aprs-wspr.html

A similar capability exists in the FT8Call app. I believe utilizing WSPR instead would be a more reliable way of beaconing 8-10 character Grid Square coordinate data while operating QRP & or during poor conditions.

If the WSJTX app were updated to act as both a WSPR/APRS beacon transmitter as well as a WSPR/APRS iGate then hams could reliably share their positions while in the back country or during an emergency.

Thoughts anyone?

73!

Jim - KH2SR


Joe Subich, W4TV
 

Just what we need ... more beacon stations. Amateur radio is about
making two-way contacts not beaconing without listening.

73,

... Joe, W4TV

On 2018-10-05 1:41 AM, Jim wrote:
I recently read this article about merging the capabilities of WSPR & APRS. It sounds like a great idea and would be a feature I think many hams would like to see added to WSJTX.
http://aprs.org/aprs-wspr.html
A similar capability exists in the FT8Call app. I believe utilizing WSPR instead would be a more reliable way of beaconing 8-10 character Grid Square coordinate data while operating QRP & or during poor conditions.
If the WSJTX app were updated to act as both a WSPR/APRS beacon transmitter as well as a WSPR/APRS iGate then hams could reliably share their positions while in the back country or during an emergency.
Thoughts anyone?
73!
Jim - KH2SR


Gary K6JAJ <k6jaj@...>
 

A MEN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-----Original Message-----
From: WSJTX@groups.io [mailto:WSJTX@groups.io] On Behalf Of Joe Subich, W4TV
Sent: Saturday, October 06, 2018 7:33 PM
To: WSJTX@groups.io
Subject: Re: [WSJTX] requesting that the new WSPR/APRS mode be added to WSJTX #WSPR #new #APRS


Just what we need ... more beacon stations. Amateur radio is about
making two-way contacts not beaconing without listening.

73,

... Joe, W4TV


On 2018-10-05 1:41 AM, Jim wrote:
I recently read this article about merging the capabilities of WSPR & APRS. It sounds like a great idea and would be a feature I think many hams would like to see added to WSJTX.

http://aprs.org/aprs-wspr.html

A similar capability exists in the FT8Call app. I believe utilizing WSPR instead would be a more reliable way of beaconing 8-10 character Grid Square coordinate data while operating QRP & or during poor conditions.

If the WSJTX app were updated to act as both a WSPR/APRS beacon transmitter as well as a WSPR/APRS iGate then hams could reliably share their positions while in the back country or during an emergency.

Thoughts anyone?

73!

Jim - KH2SR


Jim
 

Amateur radio is about whatever each individual or group wants it to be about. It's a hobby. 

73,

Jim - KH2SR


Joe Subich, W4TV
 

If you want to beacon (broadcast), get a broadcast license - the AM
spectrum has become a real wasteland.

73,

... Joe, W4TV

On 2018-10-18 2:05 PM, Jim wrote:
Amateur radio is about whatever each individual or group wants it to be about. It's a hobby.
73,
Jim - KH2SR


Carl - WC4H
 

You might want to request this in the official wsjt group on yahoogroups.

73.
Carl - WC4H


Jim
 

So Joe, since you are completely against all forms of beaconing you must also want all hams beaconing WSPR to just stop forever? Any other form of propagation beacon should cease as well by your standards. How about hams doing APRS. You probably think they should stop as well. Maybe all Ham satellites should shut off their beacons too. All forms of beaconing gone right!? You can’t pick and choose which forms should stay and which should go. 😂🤣

 

Well it’s a good thing Joe isn’t in charge of the ham radio world. I’m sure Joe wishes he was. We would all be operating in the dark ages if Joe was the ham king. Joe thinks I should get an AM broadcast license. That’s not going to happen. What I will do Joe is continue to transmit WSPR, APRS, & lots of other digital modes that many many many hams have deemed perfectly acceptable and legal. Hey Joe, the future called, it doesn’t want you here. Go back to the dark ages where you and other grumpy grouches belong. 

 

I think I will take this up directly with the developers of WSJT-X. I’m sure they won’t be as closed minded to ideas that the founder of APRS came up with. 

 

73! (to everyone but Joe)

 

Jim - KH2SR 


Joe Subich, W4TV
 

On 2018-10-19 12:22 PM, Jim wrote:
So Joe, since you are completely against all forms of beaconing you must also want all hams beaconing WSPR to just stop forever?
No, just limit beacons to where they are legal (permitted in part 97 -
that does not include HF except 28.20 - 28.30 MHz).

73,

... Joe, W4TV


On 2018-10-19 12:22 PM, Jim wrote:
So Joe, since you are completely against all forms of beaconing you must also want all hams beaconing WSPR to just stop forever? Any other form of propagation beacon should cease as well by your standards. How about hams doing APRS. You probably think they should stop as well. Maybe all Ham satellites should shut off their beacons too. All forms of beaconing gone right!? You can’t pick and choose which forms should stay and which should go. 😂🤣.
Well it’s a good thing Joe isn’t in charge of the ham radio world. I’m sure Joe wishes he was. We would all be operating in the dark ages if Joe was the ham king. Joe thinks I should get an AM broadcast license. That’s not going to happen. What I will do Joe is continue to transmit WSPR, APRS, & lots of other digital modes that many many many hams have deemed perfectly acceptable and legal. Hey Joe, the future called, it doesn’t want you here. Go back to the dark ages where you and other grumpy grouches belong.
I think I will take this up directly with the developers of WSJT-X. I’m sure they won’t be as closed minded to ideas that the founder of APRS came up with.
73! (to everyone but Joe)
Jim - KH2SR