locked Split operation #FT8 #QSO_practices

Guy G4DWV 4X1LT

Hi,

I have started to work split most of the time when the bands are busy. I park my TX freq out of the way and tend to keep it there. When I click on a callsign in JTAlert, the TX frequency moves too. I would like the TX to stay where placed. How can I achieve this?

Mni tnx es 73 de Guy G4DWV 4X1LT

F8RZ

Check "Hold TX frequency"

Le 21/03/2018 à 15:01, Guy G4DWV/4X1LT a écrit :

Hi,

I have started to work split most of the time when the bands are busy. I park my TX freq out of the way and tend to keep it there. When I click on a callsign in JTAlert, the TX frequency moves too. I would like the TX to stay where placed. How can I achieve this?

Mni tnx es 73 de Guy G4DWV 4X1LT

Roger

On 21/03/18 15:16, raynaud jean wrote:
Check "Hold TX frequency"
Le 21/03/2018 à 15:01, Guy G4DWV/4X1LT a écrit :
Hi,

I have started to work split most of the time when the bands are busy. I park my TX freq out of the way and tend to keep it there. When I click on a callsign in JTAlert, the TX frequency moves too. I would like the TX to stay where placed. How can I achieve this?

Mni tnx es 73 de Guy G4DWV 4X1LT
I can think of disadvantages of working that way.

1. You're using a second frequency unnecessarily on a band you admit is busy.
2. Your Tx frequency might not be clear at the Rx end.
3. The Rx WSJTX will give priority to those calling on the correct frequency and not yours.

I occasionally get a mini-pileup and observe stations on the wrong frequency not getting a look in. FT8 is too fast to worry about them and they stay off the top of the list here until no one else is calling on the correct frequency or more likely they've given up.

I find it very frustrating when someone calls me on a crummy frequency when mine is crystal clear and I unnecessarily waste several minutes trying to complete a QSO. And then to add insult to injury they find it too much trouble to be polite and send 73s.

Roger, GW4HZA

Roger

On 21/03/18 16:21, groups@... wrote:
[...]

Perhaps I should add that if there was a button to ignore calls on the wrong frequency I would use it.

73

Roger, GW4HZA

Guy G4DWV 4X1LT

Hi Roger

You are in a very small minority I can assure you. I have no difficulty snagging really rare ones as everybody tends to call the dx on the same freq. I just call the dx off to the side and they *always* come back to me, and very quickly at that. Even as a humble G4,  I occasionally get a pileup myself.

73 de Guy G4DWV 4X1LT

PS I always give a 73.

Brian W9HLQ

Roger,
  I am puzzled about your comments and need your help.   When I call a DX station and see an obvious pile up I fail to see how you can copy anything.  When I see that, I move to a clear frequency and give a call like we do on on CW split operation.   However, you recommend I stay on your calling frequency and patiently keep calling?  Do you finish a contact and then call CQ again to start the sequence over, or do you pick up someone who calls you after you send your 73?   I have tried calling on freq and split with about equal results.  I have a feeling it is up to the DX station to determine the protocol in each situation.   I appreciate your comments.  Tnx,  Brian, W9HLQ.

Roger

On 22/03/18 14:57, bdavis73@... wrote:
Roger,
  I am puzzled about your comments and need your help.   When I call a DX station and see an obvious pile up I fail to see how you can copy anything.  When I see that, I move to a clear frequency and give a call like we do on on CW split operation.   However, you recommend I stay on your calling frequency and patiently keep calling?  Do you finish a contact and then call CQ again to start the sequence over, or do you pick up someone who calls you after you send your 73?   I have tried calling on freq and split with about equal results.  I have a feeling it is up to the DX station to determine the protocol in each situation.   I appreciate your comments.  Tnx,  Brian, W9HLQ.
I usually manage to decode something when there are more than one station on my frequency. The problem here is that some continue to call or start calling even after I respond to someone else. If I don't decode quickly enough of my frequency then I would respond to another frequency.

I re-enable Tx (and if necessary hit RX<TX) as I send 73. This means I will either call CQ or automatically respond to another caller. Since WSKTX prioritises a decode on my Rx frequency this prioritises callers on my frequency unless they are weak and a strong signal elsewhere decodes first.

Fortunately there are many more GWs on FT8 now so I only get occasional minor pileups now.

Lars Berg

If I call someone, mostly a needed one, new entity, new state or new zone; I ALWAYS look for a free QRG and call there. Most of the cases it works. However when I call CQ the situation will be different.  My remote QTH
is in a very rare grid, I'm the only active HAM (JP92). Especially on 6 mtr I'm often getting piles when the band opens up. On CW I can move around my freq
and picking station. On FT8 most station are coming right on my QRG and if Call 1st is on, I'm unable to pick a split station that can be copied without problem. My wish is that
Call 1st should be able to set a priority to "split" stations. Working a pile I'm staying on one TX freq and try to pick split station. If I got a 73 from my partner I pick the next one. I have been working piles on CW  from
several semi rare entities and have a permanent call on Dominica (J73CCM). Next time on the island I will try FT8 and I guess the pile will be huge. Have not been able to test DX mode. I don't have CAT installed on my
remote (495 km on way).