Date   

Re: no mike found when starting computer #AudioIssues #FT8

Arthur Bernstein
 

My laptop has the same single jack for both line in and line out. Use a splitter cable. One side accepts line in (to laptop's mike connection) transceiver's audio out, the other is the audio out or line out to transceiver audio in line (microphone input.)
Art., N2KA

-----Original Message-----
From: groups@thebluecastle.org.uk
Sent: Saturday, May 29, 2021 2:25 PM
To: main@WSJTX.groups.io
Subject: Re: [WSJTX] no mike found when starting computer #AudioIssues #FT8 #AudioIssues

On 29/05/2021 19:11, Tim Hollembaek wrote:
l
Bill, I am using a laptop with no line-in jack,
only the mic/phone jack.

On Sat, May 29, 2021 at 5:23 AM Bill Somerville <g4wjs@classdesign.com>
wrote:

On 28/05/2021 20:50, rimrocktim@gmail.com wrote:
2013 Dell Latitude E6330 laptop
Windows 10 Pro
2.7 ghz processor
8 GB ram
x64 based processor (64 bit)

This laptop has a dual audio jack that is mic/headphones and is the
only way to get audio on and out of the laptop.

Rig is a Kenwood TS-830S using the phones jack for audio out and the
mike jack for audio in from laptop. I’m using VOX to trigger the rig.

WSJT-X v 2.3.1

I have used the rig with a Linux machine until recently with no problems.

Problem:
At startup with rig attached, the microphone is missing when I look in
WSJT-X audio settings and the headphones show connected. The program
will toggle the transmitter on but there is nothing being received
because of the missing audio input to the laptop. It appears the
laptop can’t find the mike unless there is audio coming into it. If I
connect a mike/headphone to the jack and test it using Skype’s sound
test the test works fine. Then when reconnecting inputs from rig to
laptop I find the mike is now connected in the audio tab and WSJT-x
works fine. I can then use FT8 for hours with now problems which
indicates I am not dealing with some intermittent hardware issue. I
have had to do this convoluted start-up procedure since I started
using this laptop with my rig. Any suggestions as to a fix?
OM,

I would recommend using the line in connection on your PC if you are
connecting to a headphone AF output from your receiver. Many PCs have a
combined MIC/LINE-IN socket with circuitry to distinguish them from the
connected impedance.

73
Bill
G4WJS.
I see that your computer has USB ports so why don't you use a USB sound
card?

73
Roger
G4HZA


Re: no mike found when starting computer #AudioIssues #FT8

Jim Brown
 

On 5/28/2021 5:16 PM, Joe Subich, W4TV wrote:
Most headphone/mic inputs are designed for electret mics and
look for a 1 mA current draw of the electret mic to turn on.
Very interesting. The current draw requirement is news to me. The mic inputs of most rigs are also designed for dynamic mics.

73, Jim K9YC


Re: IC-7300 rig failure #WSJTX_config

Peter
 

Sorry, I have never posted before. I am a little rattled after spending two days changing every parameter on the radio and the software. I have about 1100 contacts on LOTW on FT8. Last year my system had the same problem right before field day and was not able to participate. Looks like this year will be the same.

I am thankful for suggestions and will be glad to list my IC-7300 and wsjt-x settings that I have gleaned from the many experts I have looked at the last few days if that will help.

The main thing I am sensing at this time is that just like MS-DOS and every version of Windows the error messages are meaningless.

Regards, Peter WR8Z


Re: Rapidly Switching VFO's v 2.4 #BugReport

Jim Brown
 

On 5/29/2021 6:54 AM, Bill M wrote:
No ideas from anyone?
On what?

73, Jim K9YC


Re: #WSJTX_config BS188 MC-HF RS918 Clone config info for WJST-X? #WSJTX_config

Matt
 

Hi

I have this same radio but need a copy of the firmware and bootloader. Could you help?


Re: no mike found when starting computer #AudioIssues #FT8

Tim Hollembaek
 

Roger, I just ordered one! Sometimes a simple solution is better than looking for a complicated fix. As in: check the fuse vs check the interelectrode capacitance.
Tnx for the suggestions. This has been a frustrating but educational experience.

73 KG7CL


On Sat, May 29, 2021 at 11:26 AM <groups@...> wrote:
On 29/05/2021 19:11, Tim Hollembaek wrote:
> l
> Bill, I am using a laptop with no line-in jack,
>   only the mic/phone jack.
>
> On Sat, May 29, 2021 at 5:23 AM Bill Somerville <g4wjs@...>
> wrote:
>
>> On 28/05/2021 20:50, rimrocktim@... wrote:
>>> 2013 Dell Latitude E6330 laptop
>>> Windows 10 Pro
>>> 2.7 ghz processor
>>> 8 GB ram
>>> x64 based processor (64 bit)
>>>
>>> This laptop has a dual audio jack that is mic/headphones and is the
>>> only way to get audio on and out of the laptop.
>>>
>>> Rig is a Kenwood TS-830S using the phones jack for audio out and the
>>> mike jack for audio in from laptop. I’m using VOX to trigger the rig.
>>>
>>> WSJT-X v 2.3.1
>>>
>>> I have used the rig with a Linux machine until recently with no problems.
>>>
>>> Problem:
>>> At startup with rig attached, the microphone is missing when I look in
>>> WSJT-X audio settings and the headphones show connected. The program
>>> will toggle the transmitter on but there is nothing being received
>>> because of the missing audio input to the laptop. It appears the
>>> laptop can’t find the mike unless there is audio coming into it. If I
>>> connect a mike/headphone to the jack and test it using Skype’s sound
>>> test the test works fine. Then when reconnecting inputs from rig to
>>> laptop I find the mike is now connected in the audio tab and WSJT-x
>>> works fine. I can then use FT8 for hours with now problems which
>>> indicates I am not dealing with some intermittent hardware issue. I
>>> have had to do this convoluted start-up procedure since I started
>>> using this laptop with my rig. Any suggestions as to a fix?
>>
>> OM,
>>
>> I would recommend using the line in connection on your PC if you are
>> connecting to a headphone AF output from your receiver. Many PCs have a
>> combined MIC/LINE-IN socket with circuitry to distinguish them from the
>> connected impedance.
>>
>> 73
>> Bill
>> G4WJS.

I see that your computer has USB ports so why don't you use a USB sound
card?

73
Roger
G4HZA





--
Tim E.Hollembaek


Re: Import Hamlib #Cat_RigControl

Bill Somerville
 

Hi Peter,

how about telling us the error message you are getting, including details please?

73
Bill
G4WJS.

On 29/05/2021 17:58, Peter Eckersberger wrote:
Hello,

I'm using both "WSJT-X" and "JTDX" together with "Logger32". Great combo. But when switching on the computer and starting one of these 2 programs I'm running into troubles. A few seconds after starting either WSJT-X or JTDX the program gets stuck by loosing control over my IC-7300 and indicating an hamlib error. I've to switch off all currently running programs and start again with a computer restart. This happens when ever the computer is switched off for a while. Maybe the new "hamlib" can be of any help. Therefore ...

In which directory/folder has the new "hamlib-w64-4.2.exe" to be installed? TIA!


73 de Peter, OE3EPW



Am 29.05.2021 um 14:14 schrieb Bill Somerville:
On 28/05/2021 13:59, Bobby Chandler wrote:
I see in the release notes for 2.4.0GA that different version of Hamlib
can be imported.
How?

Bobby/N4AU
Hi Bobby,

WSJT-X v2.4.0 on MS Windows now uses a DLL version of Hamlib, this should allow upgrades to Hamlib by substituting that DLL. Note that until recently the way the Hamlib library exported its interface was not appropriate for such substitutions, since those issues are largely resolved as of Hamlib v4.2 we are now able to ship with a DLL version of Hamlib. This should not be considered as a normal user option as there are some complex caveats, but users with specific issues with Hamlib may be able to resolve them by installing an updated Hamlib. Doing this leaves you virtually on your own with CAT issue support from the WSJT team as we cannot support many versions of Hamlib with each WSJT-X release.

73
Bill
G4WJS.


Re: no mike found when starting computer #AudioIssues #FT8

groups@...
 

On 29/05/2021 19:11, Tim Hollembaek wrote:
l
Bill, I am using a laptop with no line-in jack,
only the mic/phone jack.
On Sat, May 29, 2021 at 5:23 AM Bill Somerville <g4wjs@classdesign.com>
wrote:

On 28/05/2021 20:50, rimrocktim@gmail.com wrote:
2013 Dell Latitude E6330 laptop
Windows 10 Pro
2.7 ghz processor
8 GB ram
x64 based processor (64 bit)

This laptop has a dual audio jack that is mic/headphones and is the
only way to get audio on and out of the laptop.

Rig is a Kenwood TS-830S using the phones jack for audio out and the
mike jack for audio in from laptop. I’m using VOX to trigger the rig.

WSJT-X v 2.3.1

I have used the rig with a Linux machine until recently with no problems.

Problem:
At startup with rig attached, the microphone is missing when I look in
WSJT-X audio settings and the headphones show connected. The program
will toggle the transmitter on but there is nothing being received
because of the missing audio input to the laptop. It appears the
laptop can’t find the mike unless there is audio coming into it. If I
connect a mike/headphone to the jack and test it using Skype’s sound
test the test works fine. Then when reconnecting inputs from rig to
laptop I find the mike is now connected in the audio tab and WSJT-x
works fine. I can then use FT8 for hours with now problems which
indicates I am not dealing with some intermittent hardware issue. I
have had to do this convoluted start-up procedure since I started
using this laptop with my rig. Any suggestions as to a fix?
OM,

I would recommend using the line in connection on your PC if you are
connecting to a headphone AF output from your receiver. Many PCs have a
combined MIC/LINE-IN socket with circuitry to distinguish them from the
connected impedance.

73
Bill
G4WJS.
I see that your computer has USB ports so why don't you use a USB sound card?

73
Roger
G4HZA


Grid squares list #FT8

Kermit Lehman
 

There was a big (and long) discussion here recently about Tx2 and grid squares.

I've used some grid square mapping utilities, but I'd like to have a printed list of all those I've worked along with calls and dates/times.  For awards.

Are the any utilities that produce lists?

73,
Ken, AB1J





Re: no mike found when starting computer #AudioIssues #FT8

Tim Hollembaek
 

l
Bill, I am using a laptop with no line-in jack,
 only the mic/phone jack.

On Sat, May 29, 2021 at 5:23 AM Bill Somerville <g4wjs@...> wrote:
On 28/05/2021 20:50, rimrocktim@... wrote:
> 2013 Dell Latitude E6330 laptop
> Windows 10 Pro
> 2.7 ghz processor
> 8 GB ram
> x64 based processor (64 bit)
>
> This laptop has a dual audio jack that is mic/headphones and is the
> only way to get audio on and out of the laptop.
>
> Rig is a Kenwood TS-830S using the phones jack for audio out and the
> mike jack for audio in from laptop. I’m using VOX to trigger the rig.
>
> WSJT-X v 2.3.1
>
> I have used the rig with a Linux machine until recently with no problems.
>
> Problem:
> At startup with rig attached, the microphone is missing when I look in
> WSJT-X audio settings and the headphones show connected. The program
> will toggle the transmitter on but there is nothing being received
> because of the missing audio input to the laptop. It appears the
> laptop can’t find the mike unless there is audio coming into it. If I
> connect a mike/headphone to the jack and test it using Skype’s sound
> test the test works fine. Then when reconnecting inputs from rig to
> laptop I find the mike is now connected in the audio tab and WSJT-x
> works fine. I can then use FT8 for hours with now problems which
> indicates I am not dealing with some intermittent hardware issue. I
> have had to do this convoluted start-up procedure since I started
> using this laptop with my rig. Any suggestions as to a fix?

OM,

I would recommend using the line in connection on your PC if you are
connecting to a headphone AF output from your receiver. Many PCs have a
combined MIC/LINE-IN socket with circuitry to distinguish them from the
connected impedance.

73
Bill
G4WJS.






--
Tim E.Hollembaek


Re: Import Hamlib #Cat_RigControl

Peter Eckersberger
 

Hello,

I'm using both "WSJT-X" and "JTDX" together with "Logger32". Great combo. But when switching on the computer and starting one of these 2 programs I'm running into troubles. A few seconds after starting either WSJT-X or JTDX the program gets stuck by loosing control over my IC-7300 and indicating an hamlib error. I've to switch off all currently running programs and start again with a
computer restart. This happens when ever the computer is switched off for a while. Maybe the new "hamlib" can be of any help. Therefore ...

In which directory/folder has the new "hamlib-w64-4.2.exe" to be installed? TIA!


73 de Peter, OE3EPW



Am 29.05.2021 um 14:14 schrieb Bill Somerville:

On 28/05/2021 13:59, Bobby Chandler wrote:
I see in the release notes for 2.4.0GA that different version of Hamlib
can be imported.
How?

Bobby/N4AU

Hi Bobby,

WSJT-X v2.4.0 on MS Windows now uses a DLL version of Hamlib, this should allow upgrades to Hamlib by substituting that DLL. Note that until recently the way the Hamlib library exported its interface was not appropriate for such substitutions, since those issues are largely resolved as of Hamlib v4.2 we are now able to ship with a DLL version of Hamlib. This should not be considered as a normal user option as there are some complex caveats, but users with specific issues with Hamlib may be able to resolve them by installing an updated Hamlib. Doing this leaves you virtually on your own with CAT issue support from the WSJT team as we cannot support many versions of Hamlib with each WSJT-X release.

73
Bill
G4WJS.






Re: No TX #FT8

Bill Somerville
 

Hi Lars,

if you are getting power in RTTY modes then I doubt you have a working Tx audio connection, that is probably just the rig keying one of the RTTY tones.

Check you rig is correctly configured and connected to take audio from your sound card on Tx when in USB-DATA mode. E.g. DATA MOD -> USB if you are using a USB connection to your PC and rig.

Also check your Tx audio levels: https://wsjtx.groups.io/g/main/message/13890

73
Bill
G4WJS.

On 29/05/2021 16:36, Lars Berg wrote:

Hi Bruce and thanks for the tip. I changed type in Omni-Rig to IC-7100e4-DATA and set WSJTX setting  to                       

Data/pkt.

Following happend with Rig setting :

USB-D TUNE - TX ON – No Power out. However Mode on 7100 did NOT change to RTTY-R

RTTY-R TUNE – TX ON - Full Power (10W) out. Rig mode shifted to USB-D

RTTY     TUNE – TX ON – No Power. Rig mode shifted to USB-D

 

Did the same test with WSJTX Mode None.

USB-D TX ON - NO Power

RTTY-R TX On - Full Power (10W out)

AM TX ON – Full AM Power ( abt 5W out)

 

I guess I have to do as Bill says; drop Omni-Rig. Hope I can do that without need to go to the

station site. One way drive is around 6 hours.

 

73 de Lars

Skickades från E-post för Windows 10

 

Från: Bruce
Skickat: den 29 maj 2021 00:28
Till: main@WSJTX.groups.io; sm0ccm@...
Ämne: Re: [WSJTX] No TX #FT8

 

Lars,  Try the rig in the dropdown for IC-7100e4-DATA

It has for the DATA command this,

[pmDIG_U]
; These lines select USB-D for USB digital mode, FIL1
Command=FEFE88E0.2600.01.01.01.FD
ReplyLength=16
Validate=FEFE88E02600010101FD.FEFEE088FBFD

 

If you want FIL2 then edit this entry like this,-Rig to

FEFE88E0.2600.01.01.02.FD

And like this,

Validate=FEFE88E02600010102FD.FEFEE088FBFD

 

Bruce  N7XGR

 

On Fri, May 28, 2021 at 2:35 PM Lars Berg <sm0ccm@...> wrote:

Computer: Fujitsu Esprimo 2.90GHz Ram: 16Gb
OS: W10 PRO 20H2 (Latest may update)
Rig: IC-7100 (Power used abt 10 watts)
App: WSJT-X Ver. 2.4.0 (Same problem on all versions tested )
Omni Rig 1 type: IC-7100e4
Running a remote station using RRC-1258's from www.remoterig.com , Distance: 450km.

This worked fine until a few weeks ago. A lot of Windows updates. CAT works (supplied log).
Setting > Radio > Mode: Data/pkt ON. Pressing TUNE. Tune shift to RED. Mode on 7100 Shift to RTTY-R and stay on the mode. Power out is OK - about 5 to 10 Watts. No SWR Have to reset RTTY-R manually.
Setting > Radio > Mode: None Pressing TUNE .Shift to Red. Rig shifting to TX . NO Output at all. Can see on a remote SWR meter that IC-7100 shifting and also in the log.
Setting > Rig Mode from USB-D to AM. Pressing Tune. Works OK. Same with setting rig RTTY. Working OK

I have been fiddling around with the rig control head so I might have change something in the IC-7100 settings but what? Any suggestions or help are welcome.
73 de Lars (Present calls holding: SM3CCM, SM0CCM, 7S3C, J73CCM)



Re: No TX #FT8

Lars Berg
 

Hi Bruce and thanks for the tip. I changed type in Omni-Rig to IC-7100e4-DATA and set WSJTX setting  to                       

Data/pkt.

Following happend with Rig setting :

USB-D TUNE - TX ON – No Power out. However Mode on 7100 did NOT change to RTTY-R

RTTY-R TUNE – TX ON - Full Power (10W) out. Rig mode shifted to USB-D

RTTY     TUNE – TX ON – No Power. Rig mode shifted to USB-D

 

Did the same test with WSJTX Mode None.

USB-D TX ON - NO Power

RTTY-R TX On - Full Power (10W out)

AM TX ON – Full AM Power ( abt 5W out)

 

I guess I have to do as Bill says; drop Omni-Rig. Hope I can do that without need to go to the

station site. One way drive is around 6 hours.

 

73 de Lars

Skickades från E-post för Windows 10

 

Från: Bruce
Skickat: den 29 maj 2021 00:28
Till: main@WSJTX.groups.io; sm0ccm@...
Ämne: Re: [WSJTX] No TX #FT8

 

Lars,  Try the rig in the dropdown for IC-7100e4-DATA

It has for the DATA command this,

[pmDIG_U]
; These lines select USB-D for USB digital mode, FIL1
Command=FEFE88E0.2600.01.01.01.FD
ReplyLength=16
Validate=FEFE88E02600010101FD.FEFEE088FBFD

 

If you want FIL2 then edit this entry like this,-Rig to

FEFE88E0.2600.01.01.02.FD

And like this,

Validate=FEFE88E02600010102FD.FEFEE088FBFD

 

Bruce  N7XGR

 

On Fri, May 28, 2021 at 2:35 PM Lars Berg <sm0ccm@...> wrote:

Computer: Fujitsu Esprimo 2.90GHz Ram: 16Gb
OS: W10 PRO 20H2 (Latest may update)
Rig: IC-7100 (Power used abt 10 watts)
App: WSJT-X Ver. 2.4.0 (Same problem on all versions tested )
Omni Rig 1 type: IC-7100e4
Running a remote station using RRC-1258's from www.remoterig.com , Distance: 450km.

This worked fine until a few weeks ago. A lot of Windows updates. CAT works (supplied log).
Setting > Radio > Mode: Data/pkt ON. Pressing TUNE. Tune shift to RED. Mode on 7100 Shift to RTTY-R and stay on the mode. Power out is OK - about 5 to 10 Watts. No SWR Have to reset RTTY-R manually.
Setting > Radio > Mode: None Pressing TUNE .Shift to Red. Rig shifting to TX . NO Output at all. Can see on a remote SWR meter that IC-7100 shifting and also in the log.
Setting > Rig Mode from USB-D to AM. Pressing Tune. Works OK. Same with setting rig RTTY. Working OK

I have been fiddling around with the rig control head so I might have change something in the IC-7100 settings but what? Any suggestions or help are welcome.
73 de Lars (Present calls holding: SM3CCM, SM0CCM, 7S3C, J73CCM)

 


Re: Rapidly Switching VFO's v 2.4 #BugReport

Bill Somerville
 

On 29/05/2021 14:54, Bill M wrote:
No ideas from anyone?
Bill,

awaiting your comments about your PW-1 connection first?

73
Bill
G4WJS.


Re: Rapidly Switching VFO's v 2.4 #BugReport

Bill M
 

No ideas from anyone?


Re: wspr bandhop bug #fixed

Bill Somerville
 

On 25/05/2021 09:34, M0PWX wrote:

Hi Bill

 

Thought I would give you some positive feedback on the latest 2.4.0 GA build

 

It looks like for me the wspr bandhop issue causing WSJT-x to close with no error is fixed in 2.4.0GA

 

Thanks for all your (and the others in the team) hard work bringing us this great software

 

Keep up the good work

 

Thanks

 

73

 

Peter

 

M0PWX

Hi Peter,

thanks for the update, glad it is working for you now.

73
Bill
G4WJS.


Re: Addition To The Linux Instructions #linux

Bill Somerville
 

On 26/05/2021 15:31, Christopher Goldsmith wrote:

  Hello!

  One addition to the Linux instructions worth considering:


....might save users a lot of time. The Linux group "dialout" needs to be edited to include the user (username) that is running WSJT-X. This group controls access to the serial port. For example, if user "chris" is going to be running WSJT-X, the "dialout" group in the /etc/group file needs to be changed from:

  dialout:x:20:

....to include user "chris":

  dialout:x:20:chris

  If this info is documented already, then I didn't see it. In that case, I apologize for the oversight. :o)

  NOTE: Something similar may apply to various flavors of UNIX as well (FreeBSD, Mac OS 10 and Mac OS 11, and so on...)

  Thanks!

                Chris / WB5ERT

Hi Chris,

this is not really related to WSJT-X, direct access to devices on Linux requires extra rights and using the owning group id of the device is one way of doing this employed by some Linux distributions. I consider it similar to requiring a password to log in, it is information that any user should be able to access in the general documentation of their system.

BTW on Debian and RedHat style distributions the correct command to allow access to communications devices is:

sudo adduser $USER dialout

A logout and login cycle is required to pick up the new supplementary group. Use the id command to verify group membership.

On other systems the uucp group may be used for a similar purpose, with those using the usermod command run using su may be required:

usermod -aG uucp $USER

I would not recommend directly editing the /etc/group except as a last resort on systems that offer no tools to maintain it from the command line or Desktop UI.

73
Bill
G4WJS.


Re: no mike found when starting computer #AudioIssues #FT8

Bill Somerville
 

On 28/05/2021 20:50, rimrocktim@gmail.com wrote:
2013 Dell Latitude E6330 laptop
Windows 10 Pro
2.7 ghz processor
8 GB ram
x64 based processor (64 bit)

This laptop has a dual audio jack that is mic/headphones and is the only way to get audio on and out of the laptop.

Rig is a Kenwood TS-830S using the phones jack for audio out and the mike jack for audio in from laptop. I’m using VOX to trigger the rig.

WSJT-X v 2.3.1

I have used the rig with a Linux machine until recently with no problems.

Problem:
At startup with rig attached, the microphone is missing when I look in WSJT-X audio settings and the headphones show connected. The program will toggle the transmitter on but there is nothing being received because of the missing audio input to the laptop. It appears the laptop can’t find the mike unless there is audio coming into it. If I connect a mike/headphone to the jack and test it using Skype’s sound test the test works fine. Then when reconnecting inputs from rig to laptop I find the mike is now connected in the audio tab and WSJT-x works fine. I can then use FT8 for hours with now problems which indicates I am not dealing with some intermittent hardware issue. I have had to do this convoluted start-up procedure since I started using this laptop with my rig. Any suggestions as to a fix?
OM,

I would recommend using the line in connection on your PC if you are connecting to a headphone AF output from your receiver. Many PCs have a combined MIC/LINE-IN socket with circuitry to distinguish them from the connected impedance.

73
Bill
G4WJS.


Re: Transverters and wsjt frequency display #transmit

Andy TALBOT
 

LO offsets can be included.
Like this


Re: Log File for WSJT-X Issues #WSJTX_config #logging

neil_zampella
 

The program should create one, however, you should not be getting that error if you've upgraded your version of WSJT-X.   Its been fixed in all versions newer than 2.2.2 (I believe).

To find the file, go to the WSJT-X menu bar, select FILE -> Open Log Directory (or similar) you'll find the wsjtx_log.adi  there.

Neil, KN3ILZ

On 5/28/2021 11:56 PM, Richard -- N7WFK wrote:
I am experiencing the famous log file error when launching WSJT-X but when I try to find the log file to fix it there isn't one. I am curious how do I create a log file for WSJT-X to fix the error I keep getting when launching the program? I saw the pinned post in the user group and tried to follow the steps but when I do a search in windows for the log there isn't one. I am kind of new at doing this if someone would be willing to do a step by step process on how to fix this error.


601 - 620 of 25763