Date   

locked Re: What should Radio TX Power Setting really be? #wsjt-x #WSJTX_config

Jim Brown
 

Are you saying that if I'm using Split and no audio processing, I > _can't_ overdrive my rig, and my quest for the perfect signal and >
maximum output power without causing audio {splatter, harmonics, bad > things} is a red herring?

NO! The only thing that Split in WSJT-X prevents is the HARMONIC component of distortion. It does nothing to prevent the intermodulation component.

73, Jim K9YC


locked Re: Ver 2.4.0 Setup Help #TechnicalHelpQuestion #Cat_RigControl

Kenneth Blackwell
 

I have been using Signallink with the FT891 in CAT mode for years with no problem. The problem is WSJT 2.4.0. Look at the specifics above to see what is wrong.
I didn't say but I use Hamlib along with WSJT....The 891  is included in the library.

Thanks,

Ken KB4XT


locked Re: What should Radio TX Power Setting really be? #wsjt-x #WSJTX_config

Jim Brown
 

On 7/28/2021 2:48 AM, William Smith wrote:
I didn't want to send a bunch of 3+ MB pictures to the group.
The easy fix for this is to edit the graphic in Irfanview to reduce the resolution of the image. It's Freeware, I've been using it for at least 20 years.

73, Jim K9YC


locked Re: Class C Amplifier Application #transmit

Ben Nardi
 

Hi All,

If you refer to the WSJT-X manual under Protocol Specifications section 17.1. Overview, the last sentence "Generated waveforms for all of the WSJT-X modes have continuous phase and constant envelope." states all WSJT-X modes are constant envelope which means no amplitude variations so class C amplifiers are suitable.

Regards,
Ben W3ZUP


On 7/28/2021 1:29 PM, Kai-KE4PT via groups.io wrote:

Hi Bob,
FT4 and FT8 are each constant envelope signals with just one signal at a time (one"tone") in the FT4 or FT8 bandwidth. They are purely single-tone FSK signals, and as such there is no reason why they cannnot be passed through a class C amplifier, since there is no "amplitude" content to contend with. Just think of "SSB" mode as the lowest frequency IF in your transceiver chain and FT4 or FT8 are sequential single tones in the full SSB bandwidth. Note that this is not true for modes like PSK31 and QPSK family of protocols, because they DO have an amplitude variation component.
Kindest regards,
Kai, KE4PT



On 7/27/2021 15:14, alanbh@... wrote:
The answer would be NO.  FT8 and FT4 is a tone modulate SSB type signal.  You cannot put an SSB or modulated signal through class C amplifier without distorting the signal. The maximum class you can put a modulated of SSB type signal through without or absolute minimal distortion is a class B Amplifier. 

73, alan WA3EKL

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bob McGraw - K4TAX" <rmcgraw@...>
To: WSJTX@groups.io
Sent: Tuesday, July 27, 2021 7:05:24 PM
Subject: [WSJTX] Class C Amplifier Application #transmit


I've not seen any clear or definitive answer to the question "can one 
suddessfully run FT-8/4 or other WSJT-X modes via a Class C solid state 
VHF amplifier?"  Asking because I have a VHF amplifier which is not linear.

73

Bob, K4TAX














locked Re: WSJT-X Status File Error #IssueReport

heath calhoun - kb5vai <hcalhoun@...>
 

Id use sophisticated home its free.  Avast slows computer and gives annoying pop up and emails to trick you into upgrading.





-------- Original message --------
From: Bill Somerville <g4wjs@...>
Date: 7/28/21 11:57 (GMT-06:00)
To: main@WSJTX.groups.io
Subject: Re: [WSJTX] WSJT-X Status File Error #IssueReport

Hi Harry,

OK, perhaps Avast is not so helpful with whitelisting temporary files and directories. WSJT-X creates a temporary directory "%LocalAppData%\Temp\WSJT-X\" into which it stores various temporary files while a session is running, the directory is deleted when WSJT-X exits. I would like to think that Avast would allow you to whitelist that directory and anything contained in it, even when it does not exist at the time the exception is created. TBH I would prefer that AV products did not interfere in other applications at all!

73
Bill
G4WJS.

On 28/07/2021 16:00, harry wrote:
Bill:

>> Let us know if the Avast whitelisting helps with the issue please?
  1. Every time I created the path C:\Users\harry\AppData\Local\Temp\WSJT-X\... "WSJT-X" was deleted from ...\Temp\...
  2. I forced the path C:/Users/harry/AppData/Local/TempWSJT-X/ into Avast even though it underlined it in red.
  3. I (also) shutdown WSPR, rebooted my computer, power cycled my radio, and restarted WSPR.
  4. So far (18 hours) I have had no errors.  Normally I would have had about 200 stacked on top of each other.
  5. A few minutes ago, I checked the path C:\Users\harry\AppData\Local\Temp\WSJT-X\ and observed "WSJT-X" was deleted from  ...\Local\Temp\
  6. The Status File Error seems to be gone for now but whitelisting the path seems not to have any affect on the error going away.  I suspect the reboot and WSPR restart cleared the Status File Error.
harry

On 7/26/2021 17:31, Bill Somerville wrote:
Hi Harry,

it is Windows shells like CMD that are picky about path directory separators, the underlying file system accepts both, nothing to do with the Windows kernel. They are normally accepted in shells and applications when quoted. Anyway, it is of little matter and you can switch to what you call Windows path directory separators.

Let us know if the Avast whitelisting helps with the issue please?

73
Bill
G4WJS.

On 26/07/2021 22:13, harry wrote:
Bill:

Thanks for the quick reply.

>> MS Windows allows both types.
Including (old) Windows 7?  When you say "allow" I presume Windows converts "/" to "\" in path names (in the kernel I hope).

>> Make sure the full path to the file is whitelisted in your AV
My anti-virus program is Avast.  Avast whitelist will not accept UNIX path separators (as displayed in the WSJT-X  diagnostic).  I did whitelist the path with Windows separators.  I will see what happens.

73
harry
KN4IJY

My On 7/26/2021 16:23, Bill Somerville wrote:
On 26/07/2021 21:06, harry wrote:

I am a new group member but a multi year WSPR user.  I just installed the latest WSJT-X software for Windows7.  At various times for unknown reasons I get the following error:

As one can see, the diagnostic path separators are "/" which is the UNIX style.  The Windows7 path separator is "\".  Is the Status File Error caused by WSPR trying to open an invalid path in Windows or an error in the diagnostic text?  I never got this error in earlier WSPR versions.

KN4IJY

Hi Harry,

the path directory separators in the message are fine, MS Windows allows both types.

This error is usually caused by interference from anti-virus applications. Make sure the full path to the file is whitelisted in your AV exclusions.

73
Bill
G4WJS.



locked Re: Class C Amplifier Application #transmit

Kai-KE4PT
 

Hi Bob,
FT4 and FT8 are each constant envelope signals with just one signal at a time (one"tone") in the FT4 or FT8 bandwidth. They are purely single-tone FSK signals, and as such there is no reason why they cannnot be passed through a class C amplifier, since there is no "amplitude" content to contend with. Just think of "SSB" mode as the lowest frequency IF in your transceiver chain and FT4 or FT8 are sequential single tones in the full SSB bandwidth. Note that this is not true for modes like PSK31 and QPSK family of protocols, because they DO have an amplitude variation component.
Kindest regards,
Kai, KE4PT



On 7/27/2021 15:14, alanbh@... wrote:

The answer would be NO.  FT8 and FT4 is a tone modulate SSB type signal.  You cannot put an SSB or modulated signal through class C amplifier without distorting the signal. The maximum class you can put a modulated of SSB type signal through without or absolute minimal distortion is a class B Amplifier. 

73, alan WA3EKL

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bob McGraw - K4TAX" <rmcgraw@...>
To: WSJTX@groups.io
Sent: Tuesday, July 27, 2021 7:05:24 PM
Subject: [WSJTX] Class C Amplifier Application #transmit


I've not seen any clear or definitive answer to the question "can one 
suddessfully run FT-8/4 or other WSJT-X modes via a Class C solid state 
VHF amplifier?"  Asking because I have a VHF amplifier which is not linear.

73

Bob, K4TAX












locked Re: WSJT-X Status File Error #IssueReport

neil_zampella <neilz@...>
 

Bill,

I'm using AVG .. which is now owned by Avast (not sure if they're using the same engine though), but it doesn't affect anything like that.

Neil, KN3ILZ

On 7/28/2021 11:56 AM, Bill Somerville wrote:

Hi Harry,

OK, perhaps Avast is not so helpful with whitelisting temporary files and directories. WSJT-X creates a temporary directory "%LocalAppData%\Temp\WSJT-X\" into which it stores various temporary files while a session is running, the directory is deleted when WSJT-X exits. I would like to think that Avast would allow you to whitelist that directory and anything contained in it, even when it does not exist at the time the exception is created. TBH I would prefer that AV products did not interfere in other applications at all!

73
Bill
G4WJS.

On 28/07/2021 16:00, harry wrote:
Bill:

>> Let us know if the Avast whitelisting helps with the issue please?
  1. Every time I created the path C:\Users\harry\AppData\Local\Temp\WSJT-X\... "WSJT-X" was deleted from ...\Temp\...
  2. I forced the path C:/Users/harry/AppData/Local/TempWSJT-X/ into Avast even though it underlined it in red.
  3. I (also) shutdown WSPR, rebooted my computer, power cycled my radio, and restarted WSPR.
  4. So far (18 hours) I have had no errors.  Normally I would have had about 200 stacked on top of each other.
  5. A few minutes ago, I checked the path C:\Users\harry\AppData\Local\Temp\WSJT-X\ and observed "WSJT-X" was deleted from  ...\Local\Temp\
  6. The Status File Error seems to be gone for now but whitelisting the path seems not to have any affect on the error going away.  I suspect the reboot and WSPR restart cleared the Status File Error.
harry

On 7/26/2021 17:31, Bill Somerville wrote:
Hi Harry,

it is Windows shells like CMD that are picky about path directory separators, the underlying file system accepts both, nothing to do with the Windows kernel. They are normally accepted in shells and applications when quoted. Anyway, it is of little matter and you can switch to what you call Windows path directory separators.

Let us know if the Avast whitelisting helps with the issue please?

73
Bill
G4WJS.

On 26/07/2021 22:13, harry wrote:
Bill:

Thanks for the quick reply.

>> MS Windows allows both types.
Including (old) Windows 7?  When you say "allow" I presume Windows converts "/" to "\" in path names (in the kernel I hope).

>> Make sure the full path to the file is whitelisted in your AV
My anti-virus program is Avast.  Avast whitelist will not accept UNIX path separators (as displayed in the WSJT-X  diagnostic).  I did whitelist the path with Windows separators.  I will see what happens.

73
harry
KN4IJY

My On 7/26/2021 16:23, Bill Somerville wrote:
On 26/07/2021 21:06, harry wrote:

I am a new group member but a multi year WSPR user.  I just installed the latest WSJT-X software for Windows7.  At various times for unknown reasons I get the following error:

As one can see, the diagnostic path separators are "/" which is the UNIX style.  The Windows7 path separator is "\".  Is the Status File Error caused by WSPR trying to open an invalid path in Windows or an error in the diagnostic text?  I never got this error in earlier WSPR versions.

KN4IJY

Hi Harry,

the path directory separators in the message are fine, MS Windows allows both types.

This error is usually caused by interference from anti-virus applications. Make sure the full path to the file is whitelisted in your AV exclusions.

73
Bill
G4WJS.






locked Re: What should Radio TX Power Setting really be? #wsjt-x #WSJTX_config

William Smith
 
Edited

That's a great idea, and one I hadn't thought of!  Is there anything special I need to do to point WSJT-x at the RSP-1A?
 
And since we're on the subject of 'what should my signal look like?', what does this guys problem look like to you guys:
 
 
Didn't see any significant harmonics, maybe voice compression or Windows 3D sound processing or something?
 
Thanks!
 
73, Willie N1JBJ
 

On Jul 28, 2021, at 10:11 AM, Peter Hall, VK6HP <p.hall@...> wrote:

run WSJT-X with the SDR since it gives you a sensitive display of artifacts, and lists any secondary decodes and their relative strength


locked Re: WSJT-X Status File Error #IssueReport

Bill Somerville
 

Hi Harry,

OK, perhaps Avast is not so helpful with whitelisting temporary files and directories. WSJT-X creates a temporary directory "%LocalAppData%\Temp\WSJT-X\" into which it stores various temporary files while a session is running, the directory is deleted when WSJT-X exits. I would like to think that Avast would allow you to whitelist that directory and anything contained in it, even when it does not exist at the time the exception is created. TBH I would prefer that AV products did not interfere in other applications at all!

73
Bill
G4WJS.

On 28/07/2021 16:00, harry wrote:

Bill:

>> Let us know if the Avast whitelisting helps with the issue please?
  1. Every time I created the path C:\Users\harry\AppData\Local\Temp\WSJT-X\... "WSJT-X" was deleted from ...\Temp\...
  2. I forced the path C:/Users/harry/AppData/Local/TempWSJT-X/ into Avast even though it underlined it in red.
  3. I (also) shutdown WSPR, rebooted my computer, power cycled my radio, and restarted WSPR.
  4. So far (18 hours) I have had no errors.  Normally I would have had about 200 stacked on top of each other.
  5. A few minutes ago, I checked the path C:\Users\harry\AppData\Local\Temp\WSJT-X\ and observed "WSJT-X" was deleted from  ...\Local\Temp\
  6. The Status File Error seems to be gone for now but whitelisting the path seems not to have any affect on the error going away.  I suspect the reboot and WSPR restart cleared the Status File Error.
harry

On 7/26/2021 17:31, Bill Somerville wrote:
Hi Harry,

it is Windows shells like CMD that are picky about path directory separators, the underlying file system accepts both, nothing to do with the Windows kernel. They are normally accepted in shells and applications when quoted. Anyway, it is of little matter and you can switch to what you call Windows path directory separators.

Let us know if the Avast whitelisting helps with the issue please?

73
Bill
G4WJS.

On 26/07/2021 22:13, harry wrote:
Bill:

Thanks for the quick reply.

>> MS Windows allows both types.
Including (old) Windows 7?  When you say "allow" I presume Windows converts "/" to "\" in path names (in the kernel I hope).

>> Make sure the full path to the file is whitelisted in your AV
My anti-virus program is Avast.  Avast whitelist will not accept UNIX path separators (as displayed in the WSJT-X  diagnostic).  I did whitelist the path with Windows separators.  I will see what happens.

73
harry
KN4IJY

My On 7/26/2021 16:23, Bill Somerville wrote:
On 26/07/2021 21:06, harry wrote:

I am a new group member but a multi year WSPR user.  I just installed the latest WSJT-X software for Windows7.  At various times for unknown reasons I get the following error:

As one can see, the diagnostic path separators are "/" which is the UNIX style.  The Windows7 path separator is "\".  Is the Status File Error caused by WSPR trying to open an invalid path in Windows or an error in the diagnostic text?  I never got this error in earlier WSPR versions.

KN4IJY

Hi Harry,

the path directory separators in the message are fine, MS Windows allows both types.

This error is usually caused by interference from anti-virus applications. Make sure the full path to the file is whitelisted in your AV exclusions.

73
Bill
G4WJS.



locked Re: WSJT-X Status File Error #IssueReport

neil_zampella <neilz@...>
 

Why are you using a TEMP directory ??

Neil, KN3ILZ

On 7/28/2021 10:00 AM, harry wrote:

Bill:

>> Let us know if the Avast whitelisting helps with the issue please?
  1. Every time I created the path C:\Users\harry\AppData\Local\Temp\WSJT-X\... "WSJT-X" was deleted from ...\Temp\...
  2. I forced the path C:/Users/harry/AppData/Local/TempWSJT-X/ into Avast even though it underlined it in red.
  3. I (also) shutdown WSPR, rebooted my computer, power cycled my radio, and restarted WSPR.
  4. So far (18 hours) I have had no errors.  Normally I would have had about 200 stacked on top of each other.
  5. A few minutes ago, I checked the path C:\Users\harry\AppData\Local\Temp\WSJT-X\ and observed "WSJT-X" was deleted from  ...\Local\Temp\
  6. The Status File Error seems to be gone for now but whitelisting the path seems not to have any affect on the error going away.  I suspect the reboot and WSPR restart cleared the Status File Error.
harry

On 7/26/2021 17:31, Bill Somerville wrote:
Hi Harry,

it is Windows shells like CMD that are picky about path directory separators, the underlying file system accepts both, nothing to do with the Windows kernel. They are normally accepted in shells and applications when quoted. Anyway, it is of little matter and you can switch to what you call Windows path directory separators.

Let us know if the Avast whitelisting helps with the issue please?

73
Bill
G4WJS.

On 26/07/2021 22:13, harry wrote:
Bill:

Thanks for the quick reply.

>> MS Windows allows both types.
Including (old) Windows 7?  When you say "allow" I presume Windows converts "/" to "\" in path names (in the kernel I hope).

>> Make sure the full path to the file is whitelisted in your AV
My anti-virus program is Avast.  Avast whitelist will not accept UNIX path separators (as displayed in the WSJT-X  diagnostic).  I did whitelist the path with Windows separators.  I will see what happens.

73
harry
KN4IJY

My On 7/26/2021 16:23, Bill Somerville wrote:
On 26/07/2021 21:06, harry wrote:

I am a new group member but a multi year WSPR user.  I just installed the latest WSJT-X software for Windows7.  At various times for unknown reasons I get the following error:

As one can see, the diagnostic path separators are "/" which is the UNIX style.  The Windows7 path separator is "\".  Is the Status File Error caused by WSPR trying to open an invalid path in Windows or an error in the diagnostic text?  I never got this error in earlier WSPR versions.

KN4IJY

Hi Harry,

the path directory separators in the message are fine, MS Windows allows both types.

This error is usually caused by interference from anti-virus applications. Make sure the full path to the file is whitelisted in your AV exclusions.

73
Bill
G4WJS.








locked Re: Meinberg NTP Problem #Timesync

Martin G0HDB
 

On Wed, Jul 28, 2021 at 01:05 PM, Jim Johnson KC4HW wrote:
Nick/M0HGU and Willie/N1JBJ, thanks for the input. I will keep kicking around in W8.1 and see if I can sort it out.

Jim/KC4HW - EM71 Alabama
Jim:

You might also find it worthwhile looking at, and perhaps following, the help and guidance given at:

http://www.satsignal.eu/ntp/setup.html

--
Martin G0HDB


locked Re: Setting Up WSJT-X with Ft-991a with a raspberry pi #FT8 #linux #Yaesu

Gregg
 

Are you using just the USB cable or the USB cable and a cat to usb converter?

 

reading for windows seems like the drivers give the option to do everything with one cable (which is what i was trying) but that might be my issue

 

also do you have handy your radio settings? thanks!


locked Re: Class C Amplifier Application #transmit

Bill Somerville
 

On 28/07/2021 17:15, Michel Bernard VE2BJG wrote:
Everyone is blinded by the word "FSK tones" and assume a class C amplifier will work... It won't.

We are broadcasting 8 different discrete tones simultaneously (8-PSK) and that won't simply pass through a class C amplifier without excessive intermodulation products.

You need strict class AB1 or A amplifiers. And good ones at that. Simply observe any bands when some hams try to do FT8 with older kilowatt junk amplifiers. They are painting the entire band with junk. They are the one claiming there is no need for an ALC feedback line by the way...

Just read some of the PDF documents available on a search engine (try "8PSK modulation") and keep reading keep reading and again keep reading...

Alan WA3EKL is correct.
Michel,

I don't know where you are getting your information on FT8 modulation, but you are wrong. The modulation is 8-FSK, i.e. only one tone transmitted at any time. Further to that, the tone transitions are Gaussian filtered in the frequency domain so even the frequency transitions are smoothed. There are no amplitude variations, perhaps you need to look carefully at the waterfall in WSJT-X where it should be quite obvious how FT8 is modulated!

73
Bill
G4WJS.


locked Re: Class C Amplifier Application #transmit

Michel Bernard VE2BJG
 
Edited

Everyone is blinded by the word "FSK tones" and assume a class C amplifier will work... It won't.

We are broadcasting 8 different discrete tones simultaneously (8-PSK) and that won't simply pass through a class C amplifier without excessive intermodulation products.

You need strict class B, AB1 or A amplifiers. And good ones at that. Simply observe any bands when some hams try to do FT8 with older kilowatt junk amplifiers. They are painting the entire band with junk. They are the one claiming there is no need for an ALC feedback line by the way...

Just read some of the PDF documents available on a search engine (try "8PSK modulation") and keep reading keep reading and again keep reading...

Alan WA3EKL is correct.


locked Re: IC7300 Ham Lib error #Cat_RigControl

heath calhoun - kb5vai <hcalhoun@...>
 

Chokez, torriod core mix 44 43 on cables.





-------- Original message --------
From: "Michael Black via groups.io" <mdblack98@...>
Date: 7/27/21 23:50 (GMT-06:00)
To: main@wsjtx.groups.io, main@WSJTX.groups.io
Subject: Re: [WSJTX] IC7300 Ham Lib error #Cat_RigControl

Occasionally happening sounds like RF in the shack.

Describe your grounding system.

Mike W9MDB




On Saturday, July 24, 2021, 03:04:39 PM CDT, John AA6ZT <aa6zt.jm@...> wrote:


Yes. It occasionally happens with my setup with either JTDX or WSJT-X. I've tried reloading the HAMLib app, moving to Omni-Rig, or rebooting the system. Sometimes it works. Sometimes it doesn't.

 

IMHO - HAMLib has a flaky intermittency that hides when one is looking for it. Something like quantum uncertainty.





locked Re: What should Radio TX Power Setting really be? #wsjt-x #WSJTX_config

 

When transmitting into a dummy load, I’ll use a tunable whip antenna for the RSP-1. If transmitting into an antenna, I have a small dummy source made up (2x 100 ohm resistors inside a plug) or even leaving the RSP antenna input O/C.

 

73 Phil GM3ZZA

 

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

 

From: Peter Hall, VK6HP
Sent: 28 July 2021 15:11
To: main@WSJTX.groups.io
Subject: Re: [WSJTX] What should Radio TX Power Setting really be? #wsjt-x #WSJTX_config #wsjt-x #radio

 

Willie,

Looking at narrowband, high resolution spectra from SDRuno, HDSDR etc. is a good start and is useful for identifying gross effects.  However, I find it's very useful to go the next step and actually run WSJT-X with the SDR since it gives you a sensitive display of artifacts, and lists any secondary decodes and their relative strengths.  Apart from drive level issues (including audio harmonics), things such as hum show up readily on the display and, in cases where the modulation bandwidth is preserved, as spurious decodes.  Hum, for example, is often offset from the wanted carrier by power-grid related frequencies.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, for quality checks I use the SDRPlay RSPdx and SDRuno running on an old Windows laptop, with the virtual CAT and audio connections made by VSPE and Virtual Audio Cable, respectively.  Both connection programs are free for basic applications.  This system runs simultaneously with whatever transmit system is under test.  Most often the transmitter chain is connected to a dummy load but sometimes short, discreet on-air antenna tests produce interesting results - such as the 630 m passive intermodulation distortion I referred to earlier.

In all monitoring systems you do have to work hard at keeping the level to the monitoring receiver adequate, but not excessive.  Terminating the receiver input is a good place to start experimenting.

73, Peter.

 


--
73 Phil GM3ZZA


locked Re: Can't access WSJT-X website #TechnicalHelpQuestion

Reid Lanham
 

Thanks to both!  I'll try TOR tonight when I get home.

73, Reid K8JLW


locked Re: Can't access WSJT-X website #TechnicalHelpQuestion

Борис Романов <ux8iw@...>
 

Hi Reid!
A colleague had a similar problem. Access to the site WSJT obtained through the use of the Tor Browser. Try it.
73 Boriz UX8IW
Среда, 28 июля 2021, 17:47 +03:00 от Reid Lanham <rhlanham@...>:
 
It is the weirdest thing, but I cannot access the WSJT website from my house.  I continue to get the ERR_CONNECTION_TIMED_OUT message.  All other websites at my house work.  Several other hams that live in the area and have the same internet provider have no problem accessing the website.  I've called the internet provider and they said everything looks fine.  I've reset my modem/router, and no firewall or antivirus is installed.  I've cleared cache and cookies.  I've tried different browsers.  I've tried both Win10 and Linux.  I can turn off wifi and access the site via cellular on my phone.  I've followed about every tip I can find on the internet and still no luck when using my home internet.  I have been able to access the site in the past, and for many years.  I don't know what has changed, but I am at my wits end!  Has anyone here ever not been able to access a single website when others are working?  I know I can download the latest version from something like sourceforge, but it just bugs me that I can't get to the main site.  I really wish I could figure it out!  Thanks for any help that can be offered!

73, Reid K8JLW


 
 
 
--
Борис Романов
 


locked Re: WSJT-X Status File Error #IssueReport

harry
 

Bill:

>> Let us know if the Avast whitelisting helps with the issue please?
  1. Every time I created the path C:\Users\harry\AppData\Local\Temp\WSJT-X\... "WSJT-X" was deleted from ...\Temp\...
  2. I forced the path C:/Users/harry/AppData/Local/TempWSJT-X/ into Avast even though it underlined it in red.
  3. I (also) shutdown WSPR, rebooted my computer, power cycled my radio, and restarted WSPR.
  4. So far (18 hours) I have had no errors.  Normally I would have had about 200 stacked on top of each other.
  5. A few minutes ago, I checked the path C:\Users\harry\AppData\Local\Temp\WSJT-X\ and observed "WSJT-X" was deleted from  ...\Local\Temp\
  6. The Status File Error seems to be gone for now but whitelisting the path seems not to have any affect on the error going away.  I suspect the reboot and WSPR restart cleared the Status File Error.
harry

On 7/26/2021 17:31, Bill Somerville wrote:

Hi Harry,

it is Windows shells like CMD that are picky about path directory separators, the underlying file system accepts both, nothing to do with the Windows kernel. They are normally accepted in shells and applications when quoted. Anyway, it is of little matter and you can switch to what you call Windows path directory separators.

Let us know if the Avast whitelisting helps with the issue please?

73
Bill
G4WJS.

On 26/07/2021 22:13, harry wrote:
Bill:

Thanks for the quick reply.

>> MS Windows allows both types.
Including (old) Windows 7?  When you say "allow" I presume Windows converts "/" to "\" in path names (in the kernel I hope).

>> Make sure the full path to the file is whitelisted in your AV
My anti-virus program is Avast.  Avast whitelist will not accept UNIX path separators (as displayed in the WSJT-X  diagnostic).  I did whitelist the path with Windows separators.  I will see what happens.

73
harry
KN4IJY

My On 7/26/2021 16:23, Bill Somerville wrote:
On 26/07/2021 21:06, harry wrote:

I am a new group member but a multi year WSPR user.  I just installed the latest WSJT-X software for Windows7.  At various times for unknown reasons I get the following error:

As one can see, the diagnostic path separators are "/" which is the UNIX style.  The Windows7 path separator is "\".  Is the Status File Error caused by WSPR trying to open an invalid path in Windows or an error in the diagnostic text?  I never got this error in earlier WSPR versions.

KN4IJY

Hi Harry,

the path directory separators in the message are fine, MS Windows allows both types.

This error is usually caused by interference from anti-virus applications. Make sure the full path to the file is whitelisted in your AV exclusions.

73
Bill
G4WJS.







locked Re: Can't access WSJT-X website #TechnicalHelpQuestion

Bill Somerville
 

On 28/07/2021 13:00, Reid Lanham wrote:
It is the weirdest thing, but I cannot access the WSJT website from my house.  I continue to get the ERR_CONNECTION_TIMED_OUT message. All other websites at my house work.  Several other hams that live in the area and have the same internet provider have no problem accessing the website.  I've called the internet provider and they said everything looks fine.  I've reset my modem/router, and no firewall or antivirus is installed.  I've cleared cache and cookies.  I've tried different browsers.  I've tried both Win10 and Linux.  I can turn off wifi and access the site via cellular on my phone.  I've followed about every tip I can find on the internet and still no luck when using my home internet.  I have been able to access the site in the past, and for many years.  I don't know what has changed, but I am at my wits end!  Has anyone here ever not been able to access a single website when others are working?  I know I can download the latest version from something like sourceforge, but it just bugs me that I can't get to the main site.  I really wish I could figure it out!  Thanks for any help that can be offered!

73, Reid K8JLW
Hi Reid,

you are not the first to report this issue. The edge servers at the Princeton.edu domain use tools to control spam and malware attacks which sometimes block ranges of IP addresses, your IP address may fall into one of those blocked ranges. As far as I know we have no control of that, sorry.

73
Bill
G4WJS.

14481 - 14500 of 41499