Date   

locked Re: Received Audio Level scale floor different with different sound cards

Alan G4ZFQ
 

On 19/08/2021 20:00, wa0zti via groups.io wrote:
The USB sound card has no gain control, just the level control.
Derek,

As Bill has said, if it works satisfactorily then do not worry. Different devices do not always match.
It may be that the best driver is not loaded, maybe just Windows generic USB sound driver.
Maybe the manufacturer of the chip has a different driver.

73 Alan G4ZFQ


locked Re: When to expect a good echo from the moon on 2m? #adiFiles #Echo

Ignacy Misztal
 

I hand point the antenna and the cable is short. Hearing the echo in CW is an art, but hearing an echo as programmed into WSJT ( 2 s repeated transmissions over several minutes) should be simpler. 

Will made the "Sun" check and also will try getting better antennas. 

Ignacy NO9E


locked Re: After upgrade to WSJT-X 2.4.0, an IC-7600 no longer changes bands on SPE Expert 1K-FA power amplifier #Cat_RigControl

Bengt SM6MUY
 

Did a test with an old version v2.0.1, yes old. CAT works perfectly to my Rig and PA ! When I change band in WSJT-x the band is also changed on the Rig and PA !

73/Bengt, SM6MUY


locked Re: WSJT-X shuts down unexpectedly (Raspberry Pi Raspian OS) #wsjt-x-crashing

Michael Black
 

No..I didn't detect a bug necessarily...I just put a check on the one strcpy routine in flrig.c to spit out a debug error message and avoid the strcpy when the argument is null.  But it appears from your log that it's a bug in Qt instead.  The logs you sent before look OK from hamlib's perspective.

Are you able to compile hamlib on your system?  

If you can compile 
cd Hamlib
./bootstrap
./configure
make install

Then run rigctld and set up WSJT-X to call Hamlib NET rigctl.

rigctld -m 4 -vvvvv 2>&1 log.txt

If you still have the problem send me the log.txt file.

Mike W9MDB




On Thursday, August 19, 2021, 01:45:16 PM CDT, S Johnson <cascadianroot@...> wrote:


Did the "Info Threads" data help anything? My understanding at this point (from the replies here) is that Mike has detected a bug in Hamlib and will fix this in the next release -- but when is that expected? 




locked Re: Off frequency signals #modes

 

It’s still supposed to be. I’ve had the occasional PSK31 QSO on this frequency. More interesting than the wham bam thank you ma’am FT8 QSO’s. That said I had a ten second CW QSO the other day-

CQ <call> GM3ZZA KN GM3ZZA 599 599 SK. It was a German special event station. Less information than you get on FT8.

 

73 Phil GM3ZZA

 

Sent from Mail for Windows

 

From: robert kupps
Sent: 19 August 2021 18:45
To: main@wsjtx.groups.io
Subject: Re: [WSJTX] Off frequency signals #modes

 

Hi George, 14 .070 used to be a PSK 31/64 watering hole.

 

You might want to check out this site for sounds and visuals of other digital modes:

 

 Robert

W6INO

On Aug 19, 2021, at 10:31 AM, Bill, WB6JJJ <bill@...> wrote:

 

You didn’t state which frequency.  If it was 14.070 or 14.090 then it may have been FT8 in Fox/Hound mode.
Bill
WB6JJJ



On Aug 19, 2021, at 10:28 AM, George Weller <gvweller@...> wrote:

While operating FT8 on 20m recently, I've noticed activity below the tuned frequency.  Timing and appearance on the waterfall make it look like someone was operating FT8 on LSB instead of USB.  There appear to be no FT4 or js8call frequencies in that area.  I've tried tuning to that area, but these signals won't decode as FT8.  Anyone know what this is?




 

W6INO

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. 
 So, throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
 -Mark  Twain

 

 

 

 

 


--
73 Phil GM3ZZA


locked Re: Received Audio Level scale floor different with different sound cards

Ron / W4MMP
 

Hi Derek,

I have the same exact situation.  Just little back ground:  I was using a SIIG USB/Audio adapter (I have no clue which audio chip it implements).  About two Windows updates ago,  something weird started occurring.  Occasionally and intermittently,  the  WSJT-X volume indicator go to 100 and get stuck there.  There would be no decodes when this happens.  I tested with Fldigi and the same thing happened.  Restarting either application clears the issue (for a while).  It appears the driver Windows installed and the SIIG chip don't get along very well. 

So, I switched to a C-Media USB/Audio adapter.  I then found the exact same thing as you have reported.  With the level set to zero, no decodes but WSJT-X reports a value of 40db.   This does not happen with the SIIG adapter.   When the SIIG adapter level is set to zero,  WSJT-X reports zero (and obviously no decodes).  Note: nothing was changed but the adapter, not even the USB port. 

73,
Ron / W4MMP
On 8/19/2021 15:00, wa0zti via groups.io wrote:

"So 0dB is OK?"
In my case yes. But I want to be clear. In my internal sound card (Motherboard), the mic input has a gain control
AND a level control. Its the gain control that makes the difference in WSJT-X receiver level floor as shown the 
the attached screen shots. 
The USB sound card has no gain control, just the level control. If the level control is set to 0, no RX audio gets
to the software to be decoded. Yet the receive level floor in WSJT-X is still 40db.
That is just plain strange.  Maybe its just a poor sound card except I don't hear the noise when I configure the
desk top speakers to listen to the mic input.

Derek

On Thursday, August 19, 2021, 08:46:18 AM MDT, Derek Toeppen <wa0zti@...> wrote:


Martin,

    Your comments turned up something.
    The cheap USB sound card input is in fact a mic input (not Line-in). I had checked earlier for a mic gain setting
as you suggested some mic inputs have. It did not have a mic gain setting, just a level setting. So I forgot all about
it.
     Prior to your comment, I had checked the behavior of the mic input on my internal (mother board) sound card. I found
the receiver signal floor was 10db (higher than the line-in of the same internal sound card that had a 5db floor). But more
importantly, that mic input does have a mic gain control. So after your comment, I adjusted it to see what would happen. 
When the gain is set to 0db, the WSJT-X signal floor is <5db (much like the line-in). At +40db (max), the WSJT-X signal floor is 40db ( just like the cheap USB mic input).
     I had previously measured the USB sound card mic input signal levels (gain) and did not think it was excessive. But 
clearly it is higher than the internal sound card line-in and that (plus maybe its general noise performance of the card) is 
effecting the WSJT-X signal floor. 
      Moral of the story, its best to use a line-in. If you must use a mic input, get one with a gain control.

Good suggestion, Thanks

Derek

On Thursday, August 19, 2021, 04:09:05 AM MDT, Martin G0HDB <marting0hdb@...> wrote:


On Tue, Aug 17, 2021 at 10:33 PM, wa0zti wrote:
I have been using wsjtx for months with the sound card built into my PC mother board. I decided I wanted to free it up
for other things so I purchased a simple USB sound card. It simply has a headphone/speaker port and a microphone
port. And I have run into something interesting with the receiver audio when I tried to use it.
[Snipped]


The 40db meter floor does not appear on the water fall display as noise and I have no trouble decoding FT-8 signals.
Any ideas why wsjtx is reacting differently to the two cards?
Have you checked the Windows settings for the new USB sound card and confirmed that the Mic gain is set to 0dB and also that there are no enhancements enabled?  I believe some sound devices can be set to provide an additional 20dB of mic gain, to accommodate low-output microphones, so you definitely don't want to have that enabled.

Also, once you've ensured that there's no Mic gain enabled for the USB sound device you might be able to reduce the audio output level from your rig (depending on the make and model of the rig) so that you get a low reading on the WSJT-X audio level 'thermometer' when there's no input whatsoever to the sound device.

--
Martin G0HDB




locked Re: Received Audio Level scale floor different with different sound cards

wa0zti <wa0zti@...>
 
Edited

 
"So 0dB is OK?"
In my case yes. But I want to be clear. In my internal sound card (Motherboard), the mic input has a gain control
AND a level control. Its the gain control that makes the difference in WSJT-X receiver level floor as shown the 
the attached screen shots. 
The USB sound card has no gain control, just the level control. If the level control is set to 0, no RX audio gets
to the software to be decoded. Yet the receive level floor in WSJT-X is still 40db.
That is just plain strange.  Maybe its just a poor sound card except I don't hear the noise when I configure the
desk top speakers to listen to the mic input.
 
Derek
 

On Thursday, August 19, 2021, 08:46:18 AM MDT, Derek Toeppen <wa0zti@...> wrote:
 
 
 
Martin,
 
    Your comments turned up something.
    The cheap USB sound card input is in fact a mic input (not Line-in). I had checked earlier for a mic gain setting
as you suggested some mic inputs have. It did not have a mic gain setting, just a level setting. So I forgot all about
it.
     Prior to your comment, I had checked the behavior of the mic input on my internal (mother board) sound card. I found
the receiver signal floor was 10db (higher than the line-in of the same internal sound card that had a 5db floor). But more
importantly, that mic input does have a mic gain control. So after your comment, I adjusted it to see what would happen. 
When the gain is set to 0db, the WSJT-X signal floor is <5db (much like the line-in). At +40db (max), the WSJT-X signal floor is 40db ( just like the cheap USB mic input).
     I had previously measured the USB sound card mic input signal levels (gain) and did not think it was excessive. But 
clearly it is higher than the internal sound card line-in and that (plus maybe its general noise performance of the card) is 
effecting the WSJT-X signal floor. 
      Moral of the story, its best to use a line-in. If you must use a mic input, get one with a gain control.
 
Good suggestion, Thanks
 
Derek
 
On Thursday, August 19, 2021, 04:09:05 AM MDT, Martin G0HDB <marting0hdb@...> wrote:
 
 
On Tue, Aug 17, 2021 at 10:33 PM, wa0zti wrote:
I have been using wsjtx for months with the sound card built into my PC mother board. I decided I wanted to free it up
for other things so I purchased a simple USB sound card. It simply has a headphone/speaker port and a microphone
port. And I have run into something interesting with the receiver audio when I tried to use it.
[Snipped]


The 40db meter floor does not appear on the water fall display as noise and I have no trouble decoding FT-8 signals.
Any ideas why wsjtx is reacting differently to the two cards?
Have you checked the Windows settings for the new USB sound card and confirmed that the Mic gain is set to 0dB and also that there are no enhancements enabled?  I believe some sound devices can be set to provide an additional 20dB of mic gain, to accommodate low-output microphones, so you definitely don't want to have that enabled.

Also, once you've ensured that there's no Mic gain enabled for the USB sound device you might be able to reduce the audio output level from your rig (depending on the make and model of the rig) so that you get a low reading on the WSJT-X audio level 'thermometer' when there's no input whatsoever to the sound device.

--
Martin G0HDB




locked Re: WSJT-X shuts down unexpectedly (Raspberry Pi Raspian OS) #wsjt-x-crashing

S Johnson
 

Did the "Info Threads" data help anything? My understanding at this point (from the replies here) is that Mike has detected a bug in Hamlib and will fix this in the next release -- but when is that expected? 


locked Re: Off frequency signals #modes

Reino Talarmo
 

While operating FT8 on 20m recently, I've noticed activity below the tuned frequency.  Timing and appearance on the waterfall make it look like someone was operating FT8 on LSB instead of USB.  There appear to be no FT4 or js8call frequencies in that area.  I've tried tuning to that area, but these signals won't decode as FT8.  Anyone know what this is?

Hi George,

There is minor possibility that those are the lower sideband of a simple double sideband transmitter. You could try to decode those using LSB in your rig.
73, Reino OH3mA


locked Re: Received Audio Level scale floor different with different sound cards

Alan G4ZFQ
 

When the gain is set to 0db, the WSJT-X signal floor is <5db (much like the line-in).
Derek

So 0dB is OK?
I've used stereo single input sound devices like that for soundcard SDR, rather more critical than WSJT, and have been satisfied by results.
Often it seems such devices are designed like that, minimum volume is equivalent to a line input.

73 Alan G4ZFQ


locked Re: Off frequency signals #modes

robert kupps
 

Hi George, 14 .070 used to be a PSK 31/64 watering hole.

You might want to check out this site for sounds and visuals of other digital modes:

 Robert
W6INO
On Aug 19, 2021, at 10:31 AM, Bill, WB6JJJ <bill@...> wrote:

You didn’t state which frequency.  If it was 14.070 or 14.090 then it may have been FT8 in Fox/Hound mode.
Bill
WB6JJJ


On Aug 19, 2021, at 10:28 AM, George Weller <gvweller@...> wrote:

While operating FT8 on 20m recently, I've noticed activity below the tuned frequency.  Timing and appearance on the waterfall make it look like someone was operating FT8 on LSB instead of USB.  There appear to be no FT4 or js8call frequencies in that area.  I've tried tuning to that area, but these signals won't decode as FT8.  Anyone know what this is?







W6INO

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. 
 So, throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
 -Mark  Twain






locked Re: Off frequency signals #modes

Bill, WB6JJJ
 

You didn’t state which frequency. If it was 14.070 or 14.090 then it may have been FT8 in Fox/Hound mode.
Bill
WB6JJJ

On Aug 19, 2021, at 10:28 AM, George Weller <gvweller@...> wrote:

While operating FT8 on 20m recently, I've noticed activity below the tuned frequency. Timing and appearance on the waterfall make it look like someone was operating FT8 on LSB instead of USB. There appear to be no FT4 or js8call frequencies in that area. I've tried tuning to that area, but these signals won't decode as FT8. Anyone know what this is?


locked Off frequency signals #modes

George Weller
 

While operating FT8 on 20m recently, I've noticed activity below the tuned frequency.  Timing and appearance on the waterfall make it look like someone was operating FT8 on LSB instead of USB.  There appear to be no FT4 or js8call frequencies in that area.  I've tried tuning to that area, but these signals won't decode as FT8.  Anyone know what this is?


locked Re: CAT Control Problems #Cat_RigControl

R SCHMAHL
 

Thanks for all the help.
Ron Schmahl K2PSD

On Aug 19, 2021, at 12:33 PM, R SCHMAHL <voila1@...> wrote:

To Bill and others who helped:
Thank you my friends. I have solved my problem. When my laptop was wiped cleaned and Win10 reinstalled, the driver for my USB to Serial converter cable was deleted. I had to download the driver from the internet for the FTDI Chip set. It turned out it was a good learning experience because I realized that the converter cable driver is the entity that assigns the com port, in my case port 03. M look
On Aug 17, 2021, at 11:21 AM, Tony SANTORO <pcsantoro@...> wrote:

Since you are starting from scratch, make sure the Windows device manager is listing the two USB connections AND the LPT - COM port.
In device manager they should be listed under Ports(COM & LPT), USB radio cable or something similar. Under Universal Serial Bus controllers you should see the two USB connections. Since there are many default USB connections, use your phone camera and take picture before to compare with the two added connections.

Also, you will need to set up the CAT control specifications. You will have to reference the manufacturer for that part. Attached find two screen shots of my Ten-Tech rig setup with WSJT-x. Hope this helps..
WA3TRA..
<Ten-Tec_com_ports_Picture2.png>
<device_manager_Picture1.png>





locked Re: CAT Control Problems #Cat_RigControl

R SCHMAHL
 

To Bill and others who helped:
Thank you my friends. I have solved my problem. When my laptop was wiped cleaned and Win10 reinstalled, the driver for my USB to Serial converter cable was deleted. I had to download the driver from the internet for the FTDI Chip set. It turned out it was a good learning experience because I realized that the converter cable driver is the entity that assigns the com port, in my case port 03. M look

On Aug 17, 2021, at 11:21 AM, Tony SANTORO <pcsantoro@...> wrote:

Since you are starting from scratch, make sure the Windows device manager is listing the two USB connections AND the LPT - COM port.
In device manager they should be listed under Ports(COM & LPT), USB radio cable or something similar. Under Universal Serial Bus controllers you should see the two USB connections. Since there are many default USB connections, use your phone camera and take picture before to compare with the two added connections.

Also, you will need to set up the CAT control specifications. You will have to reference the manufacturer for that part. Attached find two screen shots of my Ten-Tech rig setup with WSJT-x. Hope this helps..
WA3TRA..
<Ten-Tec_com_ports_Picture2.png>
<device_manager_Picture1.png>



locked Re: Received Audio Level scale floor different with different sound cards

wa0zti <wa0zti@...>
 

Martin,

    Your comments turned up something.
    The cheap USB sound card input is in fact a mic input (not Line-in). I had checked earlier for a mic gain setting
as you suggested some mic inputs have. It did not have a mic gain setting, just a level setting. So I forgot all about
it.
     Prior to your comment, I had checked the behavior of the mic input on my internal (mother board) sound card. I found
the receiver signal floor was 10db (higher than the line-in of the same internal sound card that had a 5db floor). But more
importantly, that mic input does have a mic gain control. So after your comment, I adjusted it to see what would happen. 
When the gain is set to 0db, the WSJT-X signal floor is <5db (much like the line-in). At +40db (max), the WSJT-X signal floor is 40db ( just like the cheap USB mic input).
     I had previously measured the USB sound card mic input signal levels (gain) and did not think it was excessive. But 
clearly it is higher than the internal sound card line-in and that (plus maybe its general noise performance of the card) is 
effecting the WSJT-X signal floor. 
      Moral of the story, its best to use a line-in. If you must use a mic input, get one with a gain control.

Good suggestion, Thanks

Derek

On Thursday, August 19, 2021, 04:09:05 AM MDT, Martin G0HDB <marting0hdb@...> wrote:


On Tue, Aug 17, 2021 at 10:33 PM, wa0zti wrote:
I have been using wsjtx for months with the sound card built into my PC mother board. I decided I wanted to free it up
for other things so I purchased a simple USB sound card. It simply has a headphone/speaker port and a microphone
port. And I have run into something interesting with the receiver audio when I tried to use it.
[Snipped]


The 40db meter floor does not appear on the water fall display as noise and I have no trouble decoding FT-8 signals.
Any ideas why wsjtx is reacting differently to the two cards?
Have you checked the Windows settings for the new USB sound card and confirmed that the Mic gain is set to 0dB and also that there are no enhancements enabled?  I believe some sound devices can be set to provide an additional 20dB of mic gain, to accommodate low-output microphones, so you definitely don't want to have that enabled.

Also, once you've ensured that there's no Mic gain enabled for the USB sound device you might be able to reduce the audio output level from your rig (depending on the make and model of the rig) so that you get a low reading on the WSJT-X audio level 'thermometer' when there's no input whatsoever to the sound device.

--
Martin G0HDB




locked Re: WSJT UDP Message Format #networking

Sam Birnbaum
 

Hi Randy,

Does it produce a executable for different platforms or does it depend on its own Node-Red runtime environment ?

73, 


Sam W2JDB



-----Original Message-----
From: wb0smx <rdpecken@...>
To: main@WSJTX.groups.io
Sent: Thu, Aug 19, 2021 10:57 am
Subject: Re: [WSJTX] WSJT UDP Message Format #networking

Hi Phillip.  It is a coding environment as well.  It is different from the typical line-by-line structured coding that you may have seen for arduino or other environments.  In Node-Red, there are graphical blocks that you drag onto a working area, each having it's own functionality.  You then fill in some fields in each block to give it the details it needs to do its job, and connect them together in the logical program flow you are working toward.

I am an old-school programmer that is used to structured languages like C & fortran (that dates me!), VB, and things of that ilk.  It took me about 4 hours of playing with Node-Red to become enamored with it.

With Node-Red, I am currently monitoring and controlling my Flex Radio 6400, controlling my beam antenna with a graphical, map-based user interface, and controlling/monitoring a web-based PLC (Programable Logic Controller) that lets me monitor power supply voltages, turn things on and off with a bank of 8 relays, and monitor other status (on/off) of whatever I hook it up to.  And all with a simple to make, simple to use browser-based interface.
It is simple to make connections via internet, local ethernet or serial ports.

It really is a lot of fun, and useful for running my station from a different room, or a different state.

There is a ham radio node-red group on groups.io:  https://groups.io/g/nodered-hamradio
It has lots of flows (programs) that others have put together, and this was the starting point for most of my projects.  It is very easy to copy and paste other's work to your own node-red to get started.

Enjoy!


--
Randy WB0SMX




locked Re: WSJT UDP Message Format #networking

wb0smx
 

Hi Phillip.  It is a coding environment as well.  It is different from the typical line-by-line structured coding that you may have seen for arduino or other environments.  In Node-Red, there are graphical blocks that you drag onto a working area, each having it's own functionality.  You then fill in some fields in each block to give it the details it needs to do its job, and connect them together in the logical program flow you are working toward.

I am an old-school programmer that is used to structured languages like C & fortran (that dates me!), VB, and things of that ilk.  It took me about 4 hours of playing with Node-Red to become enamored with it.

With Node-Red, I am currently monitoring and controlling my Flex Radio 6400, controlling my beam antenna with a graphical, map-based user interface, and controlling/monitoring a web-based PLC (Programable Logic Controller) that lets me monitor power supply voltages, turn things on and off with a bank of 8 relays, and monitor other status (on/off) of whatever I hook it up to.  And all with a simple to make, simple to use browser-based interface.
It is simple to make connections via internet, local ethernet or serial ports.

It really is a lot of fun, and useful for running my station from a different room, or a different state.

There is a ham radio node-red group on groups.io:  https://groups.io/g/nodered-hamradio
It has lots of flows (programs) that others have put together, and this was the starting point for most of my projects.  It is very easy to copy and paste other's work to your own node-red to get started.

Enjoy!

--
Randy WB0SMX


locked Re: WSJT UDP Message Format #networking

Michael Black
 

It's a coding environment too.  The example dashboard in the QST article shows an azimuth plot on a world map so looks like somebody has already coded the necessary information.

Mike W9MDB




On Thursday, August 19, 2021, 03:12:28 AM CDT, Philip Rose via groups.io <gm3zza@...> wrote:


Hi Randy,

 

I read the article on Node-Red in this month’s QST. Is it just a way of documenting the flow necessary to connect the various bits of kit and software apps? Or does it provide the coding environment as well?

 

Thanks Phil GM3ZZA

 

Sent from Mail for Windows

 

From: wb0smx
Sent: 18 August 2021 23:00
To: main@WSJTX.groups.io
Subject: [WSJTX] WSJT UDP Message Format #networking

 

Hello all,
Can anyone tell me if the Azimuth of the station being called is available in the UDP messages from WSJT?  I've looked through NetworkMessage.hpp, and cannot find a reference to it there. Unless it is RX_DF or TX_DF.  I cannot tell what they are for...
I'd like to extract it in a Node-Red flow, in order to direct my rotator without doing calculations that have already been done.
Thanks...
--
Randy WB0SMX

 


--
73 Phil GM3ZZA




locked Re: WSJT-X 2.40 : no update of the signal report #QSO_practices #wsjt-x

Bill Somerville
 

On 19/08/2021 12:12, Guillaume, F-20917 wrote:
Good day,
i'm working with a raspberry pi and since I have upgraded to WSJT-X 2.40, the signal report does not update when i have multiple messages with the same station :
I mean :
first contact is ok, and the report is shown in the box and sent to the correspondant (R+04 fo example)
then he changes something and send me a new report while his signal has increased (from +04 to +10 for example)
when my answer is sent back, i'm still sending the R +04 while before the message was automaticaly sent with R+10

Is it a config that I missed? is it a change in the 2.4 version? or is it a bug in my install (and then what do you suggest?)

Thanks in advance for you help
Best regards
73
Guillaume F4IQU
Hi Guillaume,

sent signal reports are no longer automatically changed during a QSO, this is to avoid any confusion about the report sent when messages are repeated, and for effective message averaging in modes that support it. You can update the report to be sent by using the report spin box on the main window and regenerating the messages.

73
Bill
G4WJS.

10241 - 10260 of 38028