Date   

locked Bugs in 2.3.0-rc1

va7qi
 

Hello WSJT-x developers,

Thanks for the new low frequency features, which I have yet to check out.
However, I have found a few bugs while running FT8 on HF:

1. When I reply to a report from a station that did not send it's grid, the received report destined for the log is not correct.  I have to manually correct it before entering the QSO into the log.  This bug has been in previous releases as well.
2.The first transmission after a band change does not generate any signal.
3.The waterfall shows a FT8 signal when clicking the tune button and occasionally the software will seem to decode whatever is in Message 6 (normally CQ).  I don't think it actually transmits, but a bit surprising.

73 de va7qi,               ....Erik.


locked Re: using false grid locators #FT8

John - AI4FR
 

Larry, I do not do that. I upload my log using the exact call I worked on the air. I do not upload again with a /p, /m, /ve, /w4, /qrp, and on and on added to the other stations call sign. Nor will I upload again when the op changes their call and forgets to upload their log with their new call sign. If the other op uploads their log under a different call sign then what they used on the air then our logs will not match and I will reject it at eQSL. That happens a lot with call sign changes and a lot with folks running special events such as using a 1x1 call on the air but uploading the special event 1x1 log under their regular call sign.
 
The issue is that you will need to upload your Qs twice, with and without the /p, as you never know what your partner in the Q will upload it as. 73 -- Larry – W1DYJ”
 
73,
John / AI4FR


locked Re: Confused, need help

David <dokrent@...>
 

I just saw that message when I searched for hamlib and tried it and it worked  I was just a few seconds ahead of your email. Thank you all for your patience and help.


locked Re: Confused, need help

W1EL Eric
 

David,

 

There’s a bug in the rig control routine for Yaesu in V2.2.

Try changing the Radio type to FT-857 and see if you regain control.

The latest version (V2.3, still in beta) has fixed it.

 

73 from eastern Maine, Eric   W1EL

 

From: main@WSJTX.groups.io <main@WSJTX.groups.io> On Behalf Of David
Sent: Monday, October 05, 2020 21:24
To: main@WSJTX.groups.io
Subject: Re: [WSJTX] Confused, need help

 

FT-897D


locked Re: Confused, need help

David <dokrent@...>
 

The enclosed is an image of the config for the radio. Ver 2.2 config is the same as 1.8 and as I stated 1.8 does control the rig. The baud rate, bits, etc. match the Yaesu manual and my actual radio's settings. Thank you all for the help. 


locked Re: Confused, need help

David <dokrent@...>
 

FT-897D


locked Re: Confused, need help

W1EL Eric
 

OM,

 

What radio are you trying to control?

 

73, Eric (W1EL)

 

From: main@WSJTX.groups.io <main@WSJTX.groups.io> On Behalf Of David
Sent: Monday, October 05, 2020 21:01
To: main@WSJTX.groups.io
Subject: Re: [WSJTX] Confused, need help

 

I have installed ver2.2 and this one does decode, but won't control the rig. Version 1.8, still on the computer will control the rig. 


locked Re: Confused, need help

Jim Bacher - WB8VSU
 

David, Version 2.2 controls all old rigs that 1.8 did plus new ones. You just need to check rig settings in the new version settings. If you can't figure what needs changed, this list will need to know what rig you have any what you're settings are.



Jim Bacher, WB8VSU 
wb8vsu@... 
On Oct 5, 2020, at 9:01 PM, David <dokrent@...> wrote:

I have installed ver2.2 and this one does decode, but won't control the rig. Version 1.8, still on the computer will control the rig. 




locked Re: Confused, need help

David <dokrent@...>
 

I have installed ver2.2 and this one does decode, but won't control the rig. Version 1.8, still on the computer will control the rig. 


locked Re: Confused, need help

David <dokrent@...>
 

I  understand ver 2.2 should control my rig, but it doesn't while 1.8 does. Ver 1.8 still controls my rig, but won't decode. 


locked Re: Confused, need help

Jim Bacher - WB8VSU
 

David, adjusting levels won't help. Packets are not backwards compatible. Version 2.2 should be able to control your rig, just as the old one did.

Jim Bacher, WB8VSU 
wb8vsu@... 
On Oct 5, 2020, at 8:16 PM, David <dokrent@...> wrote:

Thank you. Version 2 is deciding fine, just no rig control, while ver 1.8 has rig control, both have the same config parameters. I will see if adjusting the audio levels as you suggest gets v1.8 decoding again. But I still can’t figure out why v 2.2 lost CAT control. 




locked Re: Confused, need help

David <dokrent@...>
 

Thank you. Version 2 is deciding fine, just no rig control, while ver 1.8 has rig control, both have the same config parameters. I will see if adjusting the audio levels as you suggest gets v1.8 decoding again. But I still can’t figure out why v 2.2 lost CAT control. 


locked Moving ISP

Pete Singleton
 

Hi folks,

I'm changing my internet service from Tiscali/TalkTalk to Vodaphone, changeover on 21 October.  (I finally got p***** o** with TalkTalk taking my service down in the early hours with no notice and, new this time, no available customer support.)

I dunno what will happen about my long-time (over 20 years) email addy, pete_singleton@... which was taken over by TalkTalk years ago.

I expect there may be some service disruption around the changeover.  My pete.singleton.46@... should continue to work with mobile access (I'm using Tesco - £5 pm!  Enough minutes/text/internet to cover my usual small needs.)

If you need to contact me, best on mobile 07500 583691.  My landline 01706 563601 is part of the changeover, so may not be reliable.

My apologies if you get multiple copies of this.  I'm sending it to 'everyone' and some of you are in several group lists.

Stay Safe

PeteS


locked Re: using false grid locators #FT8

Larry Banks
 

Hi Jim,

The issue is that you will need to upload your Qs twice, with and without the /p, as you never know what your partner in the Q will upload it as.

73 -- Larry -- W1DYJ

-----Original Message-----
From: Jim Preston N6VH
Sent: Monday, October 05, 2020 16:15
To: main@WSJTX.groups.io
Subject: Re: [WSJTX] using false grid locators #ft8


On 9/28/2020 3:06 PM, Larry Banks via groups.io wrote:
"/p" and other suffixes are optional here in the US too, and using
them really messes up loading (for both the originator and responder)
to LoTW.

73 -- Larry -- W1DYJ

Larry,

Why do you say it "messes up loading"? For the originator, all that is
required is to select the correct certificate, with the correct
location. Yes, it is necessary to get a separate LOTW certificate for
each call (/7, /p. etc.), but that isn't much of a problem, and it only
has to be renewed every three years - also not much of a problem.
Regardless of the call used, the originator should pick the correct
location. Each certificate can have various locations assigned to it.

As for the responder, I don't see any problem at all. The responder
should copy the call received, log it that way, and send the log to LOTW
with that call in the log.

The only problem happens if the originator only sends in his log without
the /p. Then, of course, there wouldn't be a match. The originator
should send in the log with the call that was used. Unfortunately, that
doesn't always happen. Sometimes, if I am the responder, I will send in
my log with the other person's call, both with and without the /p, /7,
etc. I only do this if I am reasonably certain that the other station
didn't send in his log using the /p call. That has been a very rare
occurrence here.

The advantage of using /p is that it tells the other station I am not
operating from my home location. If he is using lookups for QRZ, HAMQTH,
etc., he won't get the wrong info in his log.

73,

Jim N6VH


locked Re: using false grid locators #FT8

JP Tucson, AZ
 

Bet he meant 'logging'.



73 - John - N7GHZ


On Mon, Oct 5, 2020, 1:15 PM Jim Preston N6VH <N6VH@...> wrote:

On 9/28/2020 3:06 PM, Larry Banks via groups.io wrote:
> "/p" and other suffixes are optional here in the US too, and using
> them really messes up loading (for both the originator and responder)
> to LoTW.
>
> 73 -- Larry -- W1DYJ
>
>
Larry,

Why do you say it "messes up loading"? For the originator, all that is
required is to select the correct certificate, with the correct
location. Yes, it is necessary to get a separate LOTW certificate for
each call (/7, /p. etc.), but that isn't much of a problem, and it only
has to be renewed every three years - also not much of a problem.
Regardless of the call used, the originator should pick the correct
location. Each certificate can have various locations assigned to it.

As for the responder, I don't see any problem at all. The responder
should copy the call received, log it that way, and send the log to LOTW
with that call in the log.

The only problem happens if the originator only sends in his log without
the /p. Then, of course, there wouldn't be a match. The originator
should send in the log with the call that was used. Unfortunately, that
doesn't always happen. Sometimes, if I am the responder, I will send in
my log with the other person's call, both with and without the /p, /7,
etc. I only do this if I am reasonably certain that the other station
didn't send in his log using the /p call. That has been a very rare
occurrence here.

The advantage of using /p is that it tells the other station I am not
operating from my home location. If he is using lookups for QRZ, HAMQTH,
etc., he won't get the wrong info in his log.

73,

Jim N6VH





locked Re: Confused, need help

Jim Bacher - WB8VSU
 

David, your version of wsjt is too old. Download and install the current version.

Jim Bacher, WB8VSU 
wb8vsu@... 
On Oct 5, 2020, at 4:38 PM, David <dokrent@...> wrote:

I haven't used WSJT-X for a year. I hooked everything up as I have done before, same computer and other equipment, and used version 1.8. Rig control worked fine, waterfall showed signals, I can see the monitor button is on, and I see the decode button flash after reception, but nothing appears in the band activity window. Okay, decided I might as well update to 2.2 and loaded that one. Great news, band activity and decode is back, but no rig control. Both configurations are exactly the same. I can send PSK31 using Ham Radio Deluxe without a problem. Suggestions?  WIN10




locked Re: error message on loading WSJT-X

Bill Somerville
 

On 05/10/2020 22:10, ny2ny wrote:
jay ny2ny
every time I open WSJT-X I get this error message TWICE...I close it out and WSJT-x loads OK. Tried un-installing WSJT, re-installed, same issue.
Anybody got any other ideas ?
     tnx jay ny2ny
Hi Jay,

what version of MS Windows are you using?

73
Bill
G4WJS.


locked error message on loading WSJT-X

ny2ny
 


--
jay ny2ny
every time I open WSJT-X I get this error message TWICE...I close it out and WSJT-x loads OK. Tried un-installing WSJT, re-installed, same issue.
Anybody got any other ideas ?
     tnx jay ny2ny


locked Re: Confused, need help

Bill Somerville
 

On 05/10/2020 19:18, David wrote:
I haven't used WSJT-X for a year. I hooked everything up as I have done before, same computer and other equipment, and used version 1.8. Rig control worked fine, waterfall showed signals, I can see the monitor button is on, and I see the decode button flash after reception, but nothing appears in the band activity window. Okay, decided I might as well update to 2.2 and loaded that one. Great news, band activity and decode is back, but no rig control. Both configurations are exactly the same. I can send PSK31 using Ham Radio Deluxe without a problem. Suggestions?  WIN10
Hi David,

more than a Year I think ;)

I assume you are monitoring FT8 mode, WSJT-X v2 introduced a breaking change to the FT8 protocol which is why your older version refused to decode.

The latest versions of WSJT-X on Windows require a little extra one-time setup of Tx audio levels. Checkout this post for a recipe for doing that:

https://wsjtx.groups.io/g/main/topic/setting_windows_wsjt_x_tx/75435187?p=,,,20,0,0,0::recentpostdate%2Fsticky,,,20,2,0,75435187

73
Bill
G4WJS.


locked Re: Sub-Process Error when Band Hopping using WSJT-X v2.2.2

Bruce KX4AZ
 

I was delighted to discover that the new version 2.2.3 release candidate has fixed the frequency hopping error for WSPR mode.  Yay!!!!