locked sticky Re: Linux Serial Port Issues

jgrantham@...

If you have FLRig working, launch that and then set WSJT-x to use FLRig as the radio. Works great.

From: WSJTX@groups.io <WSJTX@groups.io> on behalf of Mark Erbaugh <mark.election@...>
Sent: Monday, May 11, 2020 7:41:33 AM
To: WSJTX@groups.io <WSJTX@groups.io>
Subject: [WSJTX] Linux Serial Port Issues

I am building a Raspberry Pi 4 to serve as a portable data terminal. For more information, see KM4ACK’s YouTube video and his pi-build script on GitHub (www.github.com/km4ack/pi-build).

The rig is an Elecraft KX3. The interface is a Timewave Navigator. The Navigator provides multiple FTDI USB/serial ports, one of which provides a CAT interface to the rig. Just to eliminate the Navigator as the problem, I also tried the standard Elecraft KXUSB interface cable, which also provides a FDTI USB serial port. (the Navigator and KXUSB were not connected at the same time).

With the interface cable plugged in to the RPi, I did dmesg and saw that the serial ports were correctly associated with the FTDI drivers.

I did the “usermod -a -G dialout pi” to add my local user (pi) to the dialout group for access to the serial ports.

FLRig is able to access the CAT interface and control the KX3.

I exit FLRig and launch WSJT-X. Under rig setup, I specify the correct serial port (/dev/ttyUSB0) and baud rate. I click the Test CAT button and it doesn’t change color – neither red nor green. Sometimes, this disables the Test PTT button, but when it doesn’t toggling the Test PTT button toggles Tx on the KX3.

Back on the WSJT-X  main screen, the frequency mirrors the KX3’s frequency, changes to frequency on the radio change in WSJT-X and vice versa, but the “fake it” split mode doesn’t work.

This is with WSJT-X 2.1.10 which was built from source code. The RPi 4 is running Raspian Buster which has been updated with the latest changes.

For comparison, I installed WSJT-X 2.1.12 from the .deb file on the website onto a desktop computer running Linux Mint 19. I saw the same problems. Again FLRig worked fine.

I did various things such as changing the owner of the serial ports to the local user and changing the group of the serial ports to the local user – no change.

I started WSJT-X using sudo and the Test CAT button worked and turned green, so I think there may still be a permission issue.

Thanks for any suggestions, 73,

Mark, N8ME