locked Re: V2.2.0 rc1 error on start up (32 bit)

Bob G8HGN

Hi Bill,

I'm using an FT-847 with a RigBlaster Pro on the 32 bit set up with a RS232 to USB converter. I use it for 144/432 only.

It'll will work with the new PC, but I was going for an IC-9700 as a rig upgrade before the lockdown and as of now haven't persued it as yet.

73

Bob G8HGN

On 11/05/2020 16:56, Bill Somerville wrote:

Hi Bob,

what stops you using your old rig with a newer PC, that seems a strange restriction?

On 11/05/2020 16:55, Bob G8HGN wrote:

Hi Bill,

I did read that when the initial announcement was made, but forgot about it in the last few days to actual release, so aologies for the query. At least others will see it and not have to ask.

I understand the reasoning, I'll just have to use the old version until I get a new rig I can use with the newer PC.

Thanks for the quick reply, 73

Bob G8HGN

On 11/05/2020 16:48, Bill Somerville wrote:
On 11/05/2020 16:35, Bob G8HGN wrote:
Hi,

Have just downloaded the new rc1, and the 64 bit version is working on
my W10 64 bits PC, but the 32 bit version is not on my Vista 32 bit laptop.

I get an error message as in the attached screengrab.

Bob G8HGN

Hi Bob,

as stated on the WSJT-X web page https://physics.princeton.edu/pulsar/K1JT/wsjtx.html and on the SourceForge files area README information https://sourceforge.net/projects/wsjt/files/wsjtx-2.2.0-rc1/ , WSJT-X v2.2.0 is only supported on Windows 7 or later. We have been trailing removal of support for both Windows XP and Windows Vista for a number of releases, and as Windows 7 is now out of support and MS having three later releases of Windows in the field (8, 8.1 and 10); that time has come.

We have had to make this choice because supporting the latest versions of Windows, particularly the 64-bit version of WSJT-X, which has considerable performance advantages, makes support back to ancient and insecure operating system versions more trouble that it is worth. Specifically we do not wish to limit features and performance on newer operating systems just to support a few users of older systems.