locked Re: FT8 Logging Problem!

I wondered why people didn't use the "proper sequence". I like to plot my contacts on a map - I use an API available from DxAtlas, and the centre of a prefix area is not good enough. I also download contact details from eQSL and LotW which a lot of times updates gridsquares to the 6 character version.

73 Phil GM3ZZA

On 10 May 2020 16:46, Reino Talarmo <reino.talarmo@...> wrote:

Hi Steve,

Sending message 2 as the first message does not indicate a contest mode at all. Those users just want to save one timeslot.

Reino OH3mA

From: WSJTX@groups.io [mailto:WSJTX@groups.io] On Behalf Of Steve Kavanagh via groups.io
Sent: 10. toukokuuta 2020 17:35
To: WSJTX@groups.io
Subject: Re: [WSJTX] FT8 Logging Problem!

I had one case where a station (not in contest mode) called me using message 2, so he never sent his grid.  As I understand it, WSJT-X is supposed to switch the non-contest-mode station into contest mode when a contest-mode exchange is received, but this combination of events didn't produce a valid contest QSO.  Not sure if there is a software fix.

I think those of us who are interested in VHF contests need to put on a big educational push so that those VHFers who are not particularly interested in contests learn about contest modes and how and when to use them....they only give up a signal report.  I think the same is true of HF digital contesting, but I have spent less time at that and don't have as much of a feel for how many contest-mode compatibility problems exist there.

73,
Steve VE3SMA

--
73 Phil GM3ZZA