locked Re: About MSK144

Frode Igland

Hi, Bob.

This "operational inconvenience" is caused by the RR73 "convenient QSO completion procedure" when the conditions are good enough for RR73. It is easy to solve.  First of all, follow the User Guide recommendation to use RR73 only when the conditions are good enough that you can be almost certain that your QSO partner will revert with 73. Otherwise, always use RRR and 73 in separate messages. Then no confusion will arise.

Secondly, if you insist on using RR73 no matter what, I have good experience with the following procedure as soon as the RR73 transmission starts (which is what causes the logging window to pop up, and the Enable Tx button to be disabled):

1. Do not click OK in the logging window, but do click "Enable Tx" as soon as it has been disabled, and certainly before your QSO partner's transmission is finished.

2. If your QSO partner reverts with his 73,
a. the Enabled TX will either send a CQ, or,
b. if you have been called by another station and "Call 1st" is checked, the Enabled TX will respond to the next caller.
c. if you have not checked "Call 1st", you are free to select a caller to respond to by double-clicking on his line.

If your QSO partner reverts with his 73, you know that the previous QSO is completed and you can click OK in the logging window and log the previous QSO.

3. If your QSO partner reverts with e.g. R-10, the Enabled TX will automatically respond to the R-10 and repeat the RR73.

Then repeat from 1. above until 73s are exchanged, and both parties know that call signs, reports and acknowledgements of call signs and reports (and a final 73) have been exchanged for a good QSO.

The "three strikes and you're out" is not a favoured approach by me. If I have engaged in a QSO, I'd like to complete it, within reasonable effort, say five repetitions with no response.

If the conditions are not really good enough for RR73 (say FT8 reports are regularly around -15 and lower), I use RRR and 73 in separate messages, and apply my patience to let the AutoSeq do its job to complete the QSO. This keeps the TX enabled all the time, not requiring any reenabling becaus a message with 73 disabled the TX. It takes considerably shorter time than cleaning up the mess with unfinished QSOs, no logging, recuperating lost QSO data for logging from the All.txt file or somewhere up one of the windows, reverting to the unfinished QSO after finishing the next, responding to the unhappy QSO partner's repeated attempts to complete the QSO, etc. It is a typical situation where a choice of convenience (RR73) may create a mess.

Good luck and 73, Frode LA6VQ