locked Re: Windows 10 Update made WSJT-X Deaf

Herb Blue - WB8ASI

Also, best to double check in Win10 Settings > Privacy that the Microphone is turned on for WSJTX.  I've had that mysteriously change before. 73 Herb WB8ASI

On May 4, 2020 at 10:32 AM "JP Tucson, AZ" <samcat88az@...> wrote:

Hi fellow hams,

I have noticed many, many of these audio foul ups, almost always caused by a microsoft update.

However, no matter what the cause, here is a hint for all users...

YOU CAN & SHOULD RENAME THE INPUT & OUTPUT !

FOR EXAMPLE; I use a SignaLink USB, so I renamed them as follows:

Input as: "signalink usb - receive (usb audio codec)"

Output as: "signalink usb - transmit out (usb audio codec)"

Trust me, this helps at 2:30 in the morning & you are half asleep trying to figure out which codec is which & which is meant for input & output.

See image below...

Hope this helps you all.

73 - John - N7GHZ

On Mon, May 4, 2020, 7:17 AM Bruce N7XGR < n7xgr1@...> wrote:
Tony,  The Icom driver is for the com port only not for audio.
The audio CODEC driver might be already installed on your PC or
during the install when Windoze detects this USB audio CODEC IC
it downloads this audio driver from the Microsoft driver server and installs it.

Only have the motherboard audio device selected as the DEFAULT for both
audio in and out.  Do not have any other device as the DEFAULT even
the Communications Device.

You right click on the motherboard device for both in and out audio tabs
and select this as the DEFAULT device, only have the Green check for
the motherboard device.  If using a PCI card device then make this the DEFAULT.

In my case the motherboard device is a Realtek Hi Def Audio and is the DEFAULT device
for both audio in and out.

Bruce  N7XGR

On Mon, May 4, 2020 at 9:51 AM Anthony DeWitt < aldewitt@...> wrote:
As I sit here this morning, Bob, I can’t remember if I switched to default or something else, but I will go through this again.

Just to be sure, I have WSJT-X installed on a second W10 laptop (redundancy is my life) and I opened it up, connected it, and ran WSJT-X just fine, so I know it isn’t the radio.  I suspect something in the update may have screwed it up.

So, if this fix doesn’t work, my next step will be to reinstall the ICOM driver and see if that fixes the issue.

You know there are at least ten people in the Update department at Microsoft who sit around and brainstorm “what can we muck up completely with our next update, so the update after can fix it?”   Talk about job security!

AD0DQ

On May 3, 2020, at 10:46 PM, Bob Kircher < kircherbob@...> wrote:

Try switching the audio selections again but don't use default.  Use a specific other device.  Your Codex may be the default and using default therefore really doesn't change anything.
Make the change and close WSJTx.  Open and change back and close again.  Re-open and maybe okay.  If not do it again.  If the 2nd time doesn't fix it the throw up your hands - lol

Bob Kircher, K7QXY
Tigard, OR
(503) 789-3983 (cell)

Please be sure your contacts lists show kircherbob@... for my address.

On Sun, May 3, 2020 at 7:32 PM Anthony DeWitt < aldewitt@...> wrote:
This afternoon I worked for several hours calling CQ with no problems.  Tonight, after dinner, Windows wanted to update so I let it.

Afterward I can’t get anything at all on the waterfall, and I get nothing on the receiving indicator on the left side of the screen.  I checked and made sure the audio was set to USB Audio Codec off the 7300.    The cable is patent.  I get the USB tone when I turn on the power supply.  I have tried restarting.  I’ve tried changing the audio to default and then back to USB Audio codec.  Nothing will clear this.  It’s like my PC has gone deaf.

FWIW, I hear audio on 40 meters, 20 meters, 30 meters, etc., but can’t get anything on receive.  Checked the microphone settings.  They have not changed.  Boosting them from 40% to 65% did nothing.

Did Windows monkey with the audio settings or something?

AD0DQ