locked Re: USB Audio Dropouts

Herb Blue - WB8ASI

Jim,  I have had things die when leaving the shack for awhile.  Something must have to do with the computer screen saver, running something in the background, or whatever.  Give your computer some "caffeine".  It won't go to sleep.  https://www.zhornsoftware.co.uk/caffeine/
Keeps everything awake by auto making it see a key stroke every minute.  Works great.  Suggested to me by a computer guru. 73 Herb WB8ASI

On April 18, 2020 at 5:55 PM "Jim Spence via groups.io" <jimkb3aft@...> wrote:

Hi guys,

I've had an issue for a long time that I've never been able to fully debug...curious if anyone here has seen this or solved this?

Problem:  Tx audio or Tune is momentarily disrupted when interacting with any Windows window (maximize/minimize).  Rx decodes are also disrupted (no decode) when in this state.

Additional Details:

- The problem is never present after a fresh reboot
- The problem will eventually 100% appear over time(sometimes after 30 minutes, sometimes after 3 days) when I have my system up and running in it's normal state (2 x WSJT, 2 x JTAlert, DX4WIN, WinGrid, Chrome (~10 tabs).  I've never had the issue happen while actively using the machine, only after leaving it idle for a period of time and coming back.
- I'm using USB audio for both radios, one is an IC-9700 using the onboard USB interface, the other is an older radio interfaced with a Microham unit.  Both USB audio feeds behave EXACTLY the same way, so I assume this is a PC or OS problem.
- Once the system is in the bad state, interacting with ANY window while Txing vs. the tune button will cause a brief audio disruption.

Attempted Solutions:

- Disabled all OS power save functions
- Increased WSJT priority
- Disabled all OS sleep functions
- RAM upgrade (on the way...)
- WSJTX 2.1 > 2.1.2 upgrade

PC:
Processor i7-4790 @ 3.6GHz
8GB RAM (upgrading to 32GB shortly, but don't think this is RAM related based upon task manager outputs)
OS:  Win 7 Pro SP1

Anyone ever seen anything like this or have any tips or suggestions for further debug?

Thanks & 73

Jim KO9A