locked Re: 30 meters?

Mike Armstrong <armstrmj@...>

Steve, you might, at some point, give the power company a call and let them know there is an issue.  If they have some experience, they will get right on it normally..... Because that arcing is power being wasted that nobody is paying for...... If they aren't experienced, you may have to try to help them df it.  Since you didn't mention it bothering other bands, it is probably some distance from you qth, so you would have to DF it with a vhf rig (once you are fairly close to the arc).

Believe it or not, hi-tension lines are usually the quietest lines and for good reason..... Arcing there costs serious money and can damage equipment.  Again, just a suggestion.  I have a pretty good relationship with "my" power company..... I live in an older neighborhood and ot has problems on a fairly regular basis.  When I call them now, they take me very seriously (and not in a threatening sense.... They know that when I call, there really is a problem).  In my case, 160 and 80 seem to get hammered first...... 40, for some reason seems to get skipped almost always.... 20 and 17 are usually pretty bad and 15/10 usually experience no noise on any occasion.  Needless to say, that usually means the arc is some distance from my house..... I hear certain harmonics and not others.

Anyway...... Good luck with the noise hunt, if you decide to don your hunting suit and radio-shotgun..... LOL.

Mike AB7ZU

Kuhi no ka lima, hele no ka maka

On Nov 17, 2012, at 3:07, blitz716 <blitz716@...> wrote:

Mike,
I come to find out theres a newer version, I downloaded/installed it and noticed two things, first the dark blue initial waterfall screen stayed put unlike the prev version which changed randomly & relegated viewing the waterfall useless. The default pallets are of no use to one like me with impaired vision. Second, I finally copied some of the 'ear-heard' stations, (nothing wrong in my audio dept) and decoded them fine.
By this time, Dave & I were not hearing each other, and the band had gone out on us.
160 is trash here, not going there, might use 80 and 40 and hopefully 30m daytime. I'll try 160 in deep cold winter when its quiet, but its not viable now.
I think I accomplished getting both tx and rx up tonite, i got online reports i was seen and decoded, and i got two hams decoding on rx on my end. Things looking up.
Will screw with it more tomorrow, progress made. :-)

Mike Armstrong wrote:
Steve, that is true..... If you aren't getting it to decode under good conditions, then it isn't ready for prime time testing on the band(s) it was really intended for.  Good point! Maybe we can try to wet-noodle-antenna on 160 later. :). Got to get the software to work well first!  Which, by the way, I haven't yet.  I am thinking operator error on this end since I haven't gotten a successful passive decode yet.  I won't say there is anything wrong with the software until I am certain I didn't do something boneheaded first.

That much I know from my long career in IT :)

Mike AB7ZU

Kuhi no ka lima, hele no ka maka

On Nov 16, 2012, at 19:40! , blitz716 <blitz716@...> wrote:

I can concur with all that Mike, but job #1 is to get a signal, see what it looks like and commence a contact, even IF its not under conditions the mode may very well be able to support.
Right now Ive not 'seen' a signal, (heard some via ear, I believe) but not one copied, or returned to me.
Once I figure how the engine starts, I'm more than willing to test drive it.
Steve -KC2UK

Mike Armstrong wrote:
I hear you..... But I guess my real point is that this particular mode was and is being designed with high noise as its reason for living..... Which is not a bad reason for living on 160 and 80, too for that matter.

I understand that 160 is out for some folks.  I live in the middle of Phoenix, AZ on a typical postage stamp lot.  I AM lucky that my next door neighbor happens to be my mother in law (it really IS an advantage.... She is sweet) and I am using the palm tree in her front yard as the bitter end of my 160 L antenna, which also serves as a half wave on 80 and a long wire for all bands above that.  It works well, either as an L on 160 or as an OCFD with the feedpoint closer to the shack.  It is only 40 feet high, but I did pretty well in last year's CQWW 160 with it playing as a hasty OCFD.  You would think the thing would have been terrible, but in less than 48 hours I had worked 38 states AND 9 countries, includ! ing JAPAN AND CHILE, not to mention Hawaii, Alaska and several countries in the Caribbean.  Think about my antenna for a moment and you will know why I was astounded by the result.  Oh..... I didn't have a low noise receive antenna.... If I had used one I think I would have collected a few more..... There were people answering me that I just couldn't quite dig out of the noise.

The above was just to let you know that I am not sitting on 40 acres or have 4000 foot long beverages or anything like that.  In fact, for the Inverted-L I only have one radial at the moment, but it gets out quote well in that configuration..... Seems to be better than the OCFD way of using it.  So ,yes, I understand LIMITS on acreage and line-noise being exuded by the high tension lines behind my property.  I am just saying that those kinds of limits should be what makes this mode really sing.  Like the poor guys living in apartments who are usi! ng mobile antennas and 25 watts to work DX with psk or JT-65hf..... Th ey are getting out and having a ball doing it because of what these new modes allow...... I say, even if you have to use a 160 meter mobile whip, give it a shot.  This mode may astound us all, just like his other modes have on the higher bands...... With no antenna and no power..... Know what I mean?

 Not pickin', just sayin' we should really give this puppy a real workout and see what the limits are..... It may end up redefining what is doable on 160 (or 80 for that matter) when you don't have room for the ultimate ON4UN antenna farm..... Or 1000000 foot long beverages..... He he he

Mike AB7ZU

Kuhi no ka lima, hele no ka maka

On Nov 16, 2012, at 16:56,! blitz716 <blitz716@...> wrote:

Problem IS, 160 is NOT an option for many of us in urban environs.
I for example could hear you guys last night on 160 by ear, but the pulsating line noise (insulator arc-over) made decoding impossible. Period, end of story.
Perhaps we can try a higher band, like 80m but as far as 160 goes, for some of us It's just going to happen.

Mike Armstrong wrote:
Guys, please remember tho that the high noise environment is the reason for these modes.  If you are in a low noise environment, you would be better served with a faster digital mode that can take advantage of that lower noise environment.  Know what I mean?  :)

My thought here is to give it a go ESPECIALLY when you have noise on 160 (and who doesn't?).... Give this mode a real shakedown under worst case conditions and see what it can do.  Low power, less that perfect antennas, HIGH NOISE and 160 meters...... What a combo..... He he he.

Mike AB7ZU

Kuhi no ka lima, hele no ka maka

On Nov 15, 2012, at 14:57, blitz716 <blitz716@...> wrote:

160 is terribly noisy for me here, Im in the city and the only time its usable is mid winter.
is anyone doing JT9 on 30 meters? If so what freq, Id like to try tonight to see someone. Im assuming it would be JT9-2?