locked Re: Standard logging time for a QSO

Seannon Baker (AG0NY)

Personally, I'd say it's the QSO start time, and by start time, I wouldn't say when you start transmitting, it's the first response back from the intended station...
I.E.
CQ CQ CQ de AG0NY
CQ CQ CQ de AG0NY
CQ CQ CQ de AG0NY
AG0NY de W1AW (start time)
snip
snip
73's AG0NY (end time)

Seannon

On Tue, Mar 24, 2020 at 7:21 PM Dave AA6YQ <aa6yq@...> wrote:
If there was any significant incidence of LoTW users submitting QSOs with "end times" instead of "start times" and as a result not
getting confirmations, we'd have heard about it years ago. I don't know of any logging applications that handle this incorrectly.

As previously noted, with modes like FT4 and FT8, the QSOs are short enough that it doesn't matter which time gets logged and
submitted to LoTW.

While there's argument to be made that LoTW should have used "end times" instead of "start times", in the absence of a time machine
with a ~20 year range, the point is moot.

Dave, AA6YQ

-----Original Message-----
From: WSJTX@groups.io [mailto:WSJTX@groups.io] On Behalf Of Richard Bertrand Larson via Groups.Io
Sent: Tuesday, March 24, 2020 8:12 PM
To: WSJTX@groups.io
Subject: Re: [WSJTX] Standard logging time for a QSO

I check several QSO loggings between ACLOG and LOTW and it appears that the time recorded is the QSO start time :)

On 3/24/2020 4:40 PM, Lance Collister, W7GJ wrote:

The contact is complete when final RRR are received by one station. That is the time
        that should be logged for the QSO.� I don't know what actually is recorded by LOTW,
        but that ending time is what should be recorded.

In cases of QSB or pileups on HF, you might have to call for over 30 minutes to get
        through and complete.� And of course on EME or meteor scatter if may take even
        longer. That is why it makes sense to post the time when one station receives final
        RRR and the QSO is complete.

GL and VY 73, Lance

On 3/24/2020 15:51:27, Kai-KE4PT wrote:

Because the issue keeps cropping up, I ask the following question:
                What is the standard practice for logging the time of a QSO?
                Is it the start time? Or the ending time?
                Searching the archives doesn't seem to help.
                I have always logged the ENDING time of a QSO because it's not a QSO until it is
                completed, but apparently not everyone agrees!

A bit of USA history: Start and End of transmission times mattered back when the
                FCC required us to log every instance of key-down transmission, but that is no
                longer required.

This matters in QSOs (even in some cases for WSJT-X mode QSOs) that span more than
                the 30 minute "tolerance" window for Logbook of the World.
                The LoTW TQSL applet provides no guidance on the subject of QSO time, listing just
                one line for time labelled: "UTC Time (HHMM)" in the QSO data window.

We should agree on an standard. Your thoughts?

Kindest regards,
                Kai, KE4PT

--
        Lance Collister, W7GJ(ex WA3GPL, WA1JXN, WA1JXN/C6A, ZF2OC/ZF8, E51SIX, 3D2LR, 5W0GJ, E6M, TX5K, KH8/W7GJ, V6M, T8GJ,
VK9CGJ, VK9XGJ, C21GJ, CP1GJ, S79GJ, TX7MB)
        P.O. Box 73
        Frenchtown, MT�� 59834-0073
        USA
        TEL: (406) 626-5728
        QTH: DN27ub
        URL: http://www.bigskyspaces.com/w7gj
        2m DXCC #11/6m DXCC #815

Interested in 6m EME?� Ask me about subscribing to the Magic Band EME
        email group, or just fill in the request box at the bottom of my web
        page (above)!

<http://www.avg.com/email-signature?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=emailclient>    Virus-free.
www.avg.com <http://www.avg.com/email-signature?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=emailclient>

--
“It is a simple feat of scientific electrical engineering — only expensive — blind, faint-hearted, doubting world.”

Nikola Tesla

Join main@WSJTX.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.