locked Re: Standard logging time for a QSO

Lance Collister, W7GJ <w7gj@...>

The contact is complete when final RRR are received by one station. That is the time
that should be logged for the QSO.  I don't know what actually is recorded by LOTW,
but that ending time is what should be recorded.

In cases of QSB or pileups on HF, you might have to call for over 30 minutes to get
through and complete.  And of course on EME or meteor scatter if may take even
longer. That is why it makes sense to post the time when one station receives final
RRR and the QSO is complete.

GL and VY 73, Lance

On 3/24/2020 15:51:27, Kai-KE4PT wrote:
Because the issue keeps cropping up, I ask the following question:
What is the standard practice for logging the time of a QSO?
Is it the start time? Or the ending time?
Searching the archives doesn't seem to help.
I have always logged the ENDING time of a QSO because it's not a QSO until it is
completed, but apparently not everyone agrees!

A bit of USA history: Start and End of transmission times mattered back when the
FCC required us to log every instance of key-down transmission, but that is no
longer required.

This matters in QSOs (even in some cases for WSJT-X mode QSOs) that span more than
the 30 minute "tolerance" window for Logbook of the World.
The LoTW TQSL applet provides no guidance on the subject of QSO time, listing just
one line for time labelled: "UTC Time (HHMM)" in the QSO data window.

We should agree on an standard. Your thoughts?

Kindest regards,
Kai, KE4PT

--
Lance Collister, W7GJ(ex WA3GPL, WA1JXN, WA1JXN/C6A, ZF2OC/ZF8, E51SIX, 3D2LR, 5W0GJ, E6M, TX5K, KH8/W7GJ, V6M, T8GJ, VK9CGJ, VK9XGJ, C21GJ, CP1GJ, S79GJ, TX7MB)
P.O. Box 73

page (above)!