From: Kai-KE4PT
Sent: 24 March 2020 15:51
To: WSJTX@groups.io
Subject: [WSJTX] Standard logging time for a QSO

Because the issue keeps cropping up, I ask the following question:

What is the standard practice for logging the time of a QSO?

Is it the start time? Or the ending time?

Searching the archives doesn't seem to help.

I have always logged the ENDING time of a QSO because it's not a QSO until it is

completed, but apparently not everyone agrees!

A bit of USA history: Start and End of transmission times mattered back when the

FCC required us to log every instance of key-down transmission, but that is no

longer required.

This matters in QSOs (even in some cases for WSJT-X mode QSOs) that span more

than the 30 minute "tolerance" window for Logbook of the World.

The LoTW TQSL applet provides no guidance on the subject of QSO time, listing

just one line for time labelled: "UTC Time (HHMM)" in the QSO data window.

We should agree on an standard. Your thoughts?

Kindest regards,

Kai, KE4PT

--
73 Phil GM3ZZA