locked Re: Getting Meinberg to work

Bob Lewis

In the quick check NTP status the [offset] tells you how many mS you clock was off from UTC. After running for a while, the [reach] should be 377.  The [poll] should start at about 64 seconds and should start significantly increasing after a day or so. The [poll] is the number of seconds between interrogation of the NTP servers. As your clock error decreases, Meinberg automatically checks the servers less often. If this is happening then you know that its working properly.

Meinberg automatically shows up in my W10 start menu. If you expand that you will find “quick check”. I right-clicked it and selected pin to start and now quick check shows up in the start panel where it’s easy to get to.

If you downloaded the Setup on Windows document there is a section on Checking it’s working that will give you all the details.

From: WSJTX@groups.io [mailto:WSJTX@groups.io] On Behalf Of David Piersall
Sent: Saturday, March 21, 2020 4:51 PM
To: WSJTX@groups.io
Subject: Re: [WSJTX] Getting Meinberg to work

Meinberg starts up when I boot up the computer. A reboot does the same. But you don't have to do a reboot. Right-click on the "Restart NTP Service" icon and select "Run as Administrator." I dragged that icon to my desktop so it's always readily available. If I've previously closed the lid of my laptop, putting it in sleep mode, Meinberg doesn't work again until I right-click on the "Restart NTP Service" icon and click "Run as Administrator."

At the moment, TIME.IS shows my computer's time being off by .016 second, well within the error bars of TIME.IS.

Dave Piersall, N6ORB

On Saturday, March 21, 2020, 12:04:51 PM PDT, Arthur Bernstein via Groups.Io <n2ka@...> wrote:

Well, after reading a literal library of information regarding how to get Meinberg to work, I followed the instructions. I’m not sure if it’s working. Downloaded the latest version for Win 10 as well as the Visual Studio Redistributable Package (whatever that is.) I do not have a desktop icon for Meinberg, but going into Windows Programs, Meinberg is there with numerous sub files. Here’s what I found: Quick Check NTP Status: It is Autorefreshing every 10 seconds and the time exactly coincides (as best as I can tell) with WWV at 10.000 Mhz and with the computer’s clock.  When I try to “Start NTP Service” I get “system error, access is denied, press any key to continue.” Something similar happens when I try “Restart NTP Service”—access denied. Wait 10 seconds before restart. When I select “Stop NTP Service” I get Access denied.

The question I have is this, is Meinberg working and running in the background to keep the clock accurate?

I do notice on FT8 the time differential is generally very close to 0, perhaps +/- .decimal place. I think this was why I wasn’t decoding messages before.

So what say? Thanks,

Art., N2KA..

Sent: Friday, March 20, 2020 8:42 PM

You all convinced me. I downloaded and installed Meinberg. Following the instructions everything went fine but it wouldn’t start. I rebooted the computer and it came up running – everything looks good thus far. It might be that when I uninstalled D4 it left something running in the background and the reboot cleared it.

From: WSJTX@groups.io [mailto:WSJTX@groups.io] On Behalf Of Nc8q-mesh@...
Sent: Friday, March 20, 2020 1:37 PM
To: WSJTX@groups.io

On 3/20/20 5:53 AM, Bill Somerville wrote:

Hi Bob,

WSJT-X uses the PC clock to synchronize audio, its not just the overall T/R period lengths that need an accurate PC clock but at he millisecond level. Any period where there is a clock discontinuity is likely to not be successfully decoded.

Bill
G4WJS.

Join main@WSJTX.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.