locked Re: Getting Meinberg to work

Derek Brown

Thanks Peter,

Have download the program and it works, tried to use a UK NTP site from the list but that failed, so put the Italian site back in a hey presto sync'd immediately, will do the same on three shack PC's  !!! 73 es Dx derek G8ECI

On Friday, 20 March 2020, 16:19:36 GMT, Peter Eckersberger <oe3epw@...> wrote:

Hi Derek,

I'm following your "TimeSync"-discussion for a few days. Seems to be quite frustrating for you. Have you ever heard about a program named "BktTimeSync"?

You'll find it here ... <https://www.maniaradio.it/en/bkttimesync.html>

My advise ... Forget "Meinberg" and "Dimension 4". Download the program with the link above, take a minute for reading the info on it .... and install it. The program itself is free, self-explanatory, extremely simple to use and brings all the comfort and features one would expect. Just try it. I'm sure you'll love it.

But ... When you decide to use it don't forget to disable the "normal" Windows time correction. If not, both systems start fighting each other.

73 de Peter, OE3EPW

Am 19.03.2020 um 22:17 schrieb Derek Brown via Groups.Io:
Hi Bill

As per Martin's recommendation the System account, but have also tried the recommend one, with you have guessed it the same result

73 Derek G8ECI

On Thursday, 19 March 2020, 21:13:40 GMT, Bill Somerville <g4wjs@...> wrote:

Hi Derek,

which account option did you choose for the NTP Windows service?

On 19/03/2020 21:10, Derek Brown via Groups.Io wrote:
The NTP Start service ? right click to run as admin ?

On Thursday, 19 March 2020, 21:02:52 GMT, Bill Somerville <g4wjs@...> wrote:

Hi Derek,

what exactly are you trying to run as Administrator?

On 19/03/2020 20:59, Derek Brown via Groups.Io wrote:
Sorry Bill yes,

I forgot to mention that in the las email, but I did put in an earlier one. Yes downloaded and installed on both PC's and also tried to run as an administrator as well, no change.

Derek

On Thursday, 19 March 2020, 19:21:53 GMT, Bill Somerville <g4wjs@...> wrote:

Derek,

have you followed the instructions right next to the download link here:

that say:

Note: If the NTP service fails to start after installation then eventually the Visual Studio Redistributable package is missing, even though it should be available on all current Windows installations. The 32 bit (x86) version of the redistributable needs to be installed even on 64 bit Windows systems. The package is available from the Microsoft download page:

Go to Windows Download Center
Installation of the Redistributable Package (Screenshots)

On 19/03/2020 19:18, Derek Brown via Groups.Io wrote:
Hi Bill

I get the following pop up

System Error 5 ? there does not seem to much help on the Meinberg pages ?

I quick look thro the install pages on that URL and I did everything as shown ?

Derek G8ECI

On Thursday, 19 March 2020, 14:18:39 GMT, Bill Somerville <g4wjs@...> wrote:

On 19/03/2020 14:06, Derek Brown via Groups.Io wrote:
Bill,

Your link took me to this page : Free Download                                                           NTP Software ntp-4.2.8p13-win32-setup.exe (3.81 MB)

Which is the software I installed ?

Like Bob above I am currently using Dimension 4 and that is working, but it does have a habit of losing connections to the time servers or they are just excluding external users ? Thats why I thought I would give Meinberg a try, so what am I doing wrong ?

Derek G8ECI

Derek,

I can't help you much if you don't share what isn't working for you, other than agreeing that for many user SNTP clients line Dimension4 do not provide a stable enough clock for reliable WSJT-X usage. Have you read this document:

https://www.meinbergglobal.com/english/sw/readme-ntpinstaller.htm

Before others start flaming me for saying SNTP clients like Dimension4 work fine for them and I am talking rubbish, please be aware that sometimes an apparently stable clock is not what it appears and short term variations between SNTP synchronizations are likely to be detrimental to decoder performance. If you have a PC with a stable real-time clock chip, properly installed SNTP client, and the Windows Network Time Client disabled (be warned this can change without your input!); then you will be fine but not all hardware has a stable enough real-time clock chip and need continuous monitoring and adjustment as provided by a full NTP implementation.

Avast logo