locked Re: Getting Meinberg to work

Derek Brown

Hi Bill

I get the following pop up

Inline image
System Error 5 ? there does not seem to much help on the Meinberg pages ?

I quick look thro the install pages on that URL and I did everything as shown ?

Derek G8ECI

On Thursday, 19 March 2020, 14:18:39 GMT, Bill Somerville <g4wjs@...> wrote:

On 19/03/2020 14:06, Derek Brown via Groups.Io wrote:
Bill,

Your link took me to this page : Free Download NTP Software ntp-4.2.8p13-win32-setup.exe (3.81 MB)

Which is the software I installed ?

Like Bob above I am currently using Dimension 4 and that is working, but it does have a habit of losing connections to the time servers or they are just excluding external users ? Thats why I thought I would give Meinberg a try, so what am I doing wrong ?

Derek G8ECI

Derek,

I can't help you much if you don't share what isn't working for you, other than agreeing that for many user SNTP clients line Dimension4 do not provide a stable enough clock for reliable WSJT-X usage. Have you read this document:

https://www.meinbergglobal.com/english/sw/readme-ntpinstaller.htm

Before others start flaming me for saying SNTP clients like Dimension4 work fine for them and I am talking rubbish, please be aware that sometimes an apparently stable clock is not what it appears and short term variations between SNTP synchronizations are likely to be detrimental to decoder performance. If you have a PC with a stable real-time clock chip, properly installed SNTP client, and the Windows Network Time Client disabled (be warned this can change without your input!); then you will be fine but not all hardware has a stable enough real-time clock chip and need continuous monitoring and adjustment as provided by a full NTP implementation.