locked Re: CAT issue with FTDX1200 / 3000 #Cat_RigControl

Hasan Schiers N0AN

Unrelated to WSJT-X as such, but a very important consideration for satellite work w/r to the FT-817 and for that matter, the FT-857D and a few other Yaesu rigs is that neither of these radios will accept frequency data via CAT while PTT is asserted.

This means that they cannot do doppler correction, without dropping PTT, which makes satellite, ops even with a separate receiver laborious at best.

So, if you are going to get a new radio for WSJT-X,. and have any intentions of ever using it for satellite operation, do not buy these two radios and be very careful to find out if any radio you purchase will accept CAT commands while PTT is asserted.

Take it from someone who learned the hard way. I have a virtually new FT-857d sitting on a shelf. Wonderful radio in terms of price/performance, but near useless for satellite work where real time doppler correction is important.

73, N0AN
Hasan

On Mon, Mar 16, 2020 at 9:54 AM Kai-KE4PT <k.siwiak@...> wrote:
Jim,
I've been running the Yaesu FT-817 on SSB to unsolicited rave reviews on the audio quality. Also no complaints on CW, RTTY (via sound card), and many of the modes in WSJT-X and FLdigi, via Signaling USB auido/PTT unit.
That is a good reason to buy Yaesu!
Kindest regards,
Kai Siwiak, KE4PT