locked Important (to me) 60m FT8 Operation Reply from OO/OOM

Hasan Schiers N0AN

Pursuant to the animated thread about "on-center channel" (1500 Hz only) and one transmitter at a time operation,  as required by the ARRL and NTIA interpretive guidelines  for FT8 on 60 meters, I contacted an EX-OO who took the question to the OO Manager.

Contrary to popular belief, while the VM program has Started...it is NOT 'operational', as of yet.

Here is what I was told the OOM said the ARRL's position is: (and it is NOT documented anywhere on the ARRL site, so don't ask).

"Hasan, I talked to *** yesterday at length. Asked him about 60m and his comment on FT8 was that while yes, the requirement is there the league's view is that until NTIA formally complains to the FCC all is well as long as folks stay in the passband."

(Meaning inside the 2800 Hz entire audio passband).

This back channel information was all I could get. I tried getting an answer from the current powers that be at the VM program, and my request was ignored.

At this point, I am resuming my prior 60 meter FT8 operation, moving about the passband at will, but staying well clear of any non-FT8 digital signals that I observe in the 2800 Hz passband.

The 1500 Hz and one transmit only rule is 'real'. It is NOT being enforced and will not, without a formal complaint from the NTIA.

This is as close to an "official" statement from anyone that counts that I could get. I trust my source having access to those who actually know what is what, without any reservation. But....it's your license.

...and no, I am not permitted to "name names", so take it for what it is worth to you. I am not an authority on any of this. Don't ask me any questions. Everything I know is in this post.

..and please, don't shoot the messenger.

73, N0AN
Hasan