locked Re: Installing WSJT on Windows 10 computer

Herb Blue - WB8ASI

Tnx Dave,  I've got things back to normal.  Disconnected everything and got each working on its own.  Had to revise the new path to HamPrograms folder in a few places I missed the first time around.  Hooked everything back together one step at a time, and I'm back in business.  Haven't yet added OmniRig since it was a recent addition for me, and knew everything worked beforehand.  I'll try adding it again soon, but happy to be done pulling my hair out for now.  Also need to add back multiple displays, and hope that doesn't introduce problems.  73, Herb WB8ASI

On February 26, 2020 at 8:56 AM "Dave_G0WBX via Groups.Io" < g8kbvdave@...> wrote:

Dave,   I really like the sound of your suggestion to put all my ham
programs into their own folder.   I found that some don't give you a
choice.  So now I have some in my new HamPrograms folder, and some in
Programs 86 folder.   Now can't seem to get things working again.  Rig
goes to TX when I try to open WSJTX.  Rig goes into TX randomly.  Do my
ham apps need to be all in the same folder?  Right now I've got a mess.
Only just realized I don't have "restore point" turned on.  I'm still
good on CW, but any advice how to recover would be much appreciated.
73, Herb WB8ASI

~ ~ ~

Herb.

The dedicated "HamPrograms" folder has worked well for me in the past,
when I was using Win7, as that OS too "protects" "Program Files" and
"Program Files(x86)" so that they can't write to their own folders, as
many older (and some newer but porly written) software tools do.

So long as the individual programs are working correctly, they can be in
any folder anywhere you want (within reason!)

The random TX'ing.

Is that when the machine starts up, and/or when a USB device is
introduced, or removed?  If so, then whatever device you have to key the
radio, is probably using a virtual serial port handshake line (RTS or
DTR) to work the PTT.  They will flap about whenever Windows (or Linux
for that matter!) "Re-Enumerates" (re-discovers) the attached USB devices.

Now, if you have a USB device that croaks in the presence of RF, that
will in essence "disappear" from view, so the OS may well go through the
re-enumerating process, and again when it recovers and re-presents itself.

I've seen that behaviour cause utter mayhem in a shack when a HF radio
was setup to use a 10FM repeater, the PC and radio went utterly potty to
say the least, until the rig was turned off.  (Other than the OS, no
other software was running on the computer.)

The only real cure, is to make sure that you have minimal RF in the
shack, and/or that all the USB devices (and other attached toys) are as
immune to RF as they can be.   Sadly, quite a few "big name" ham
accessories are not as immune to RF as you might expect.

Ground bonding does not always help.  In some cases, can actually make
things worse.  But if you try and keep the "Loop Area" formed between
multiple cables interconnecting things to a minimum, that does generally
help.

All the best..

Dave G0WBX.

--
Created on and sent from a Unix like PC running and using free and open source software: